News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

10 Most Likely States to Hit a Deer

Started by SGOS, September 28, 2014, 09:59:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Solitary

It may be a humerus, but it's not funny. Good eating only if gutted, bled, and cooked correctly, or not eating pine needles. In Illinois they were usually corn fed. But when done correctly, and barbecued, excellent.
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

AllPurposeAtheist

A friend in upstate NY welded a big cage on the front of a land cruiser specifically for harvesting deer.. A trailer on back to drag em home..
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

SGOS

You could build a scoop like they had in Soylent Green.

AllPurposeAtheist

Quote from: SGOS on September 28, 2014, 01:58:50 PM
You could build a scoop like they had in Soylent Green.
Pssst.. Soylent Green is people..

Johan

Quote from: SGOS on September 28, 2014, 11:01:17 AM
I've collected on my comprehensive insurance a lot.  Hitting numerous deer or other wild animal does not affect your insurance.  I asked my insurance agent about this.  He said, "No.  It's considered an act of god, and no one is held at fault."
Better not let your insurance agent know you hold atheist beliefs. They might decide to write all those 'act of god' clauses right out of your policy if they know you don't actually believe in the old dude.

QuoteIn line with Stomboli's comment, I have a friend who mounted custom welded crash bars on the front of his wife's sedan.  I've never seen anything quite like that.  Lot's of pickups have them, but not the family car.  He told his wife, if a deer jumps out on the road, don't swerve and don't slam on the brakes.  Don't slow down (I'm not kidding).  He told her to just crash directly into it.  Take it head on.

Well that's even a little over the top for my standards.  While I've hit a lot of deer, I've skillfully managed to miss just as many.
I had a job offer a few years ago at one of those closed coarse automotive proving ground type places (there are lots of them in Michigan) doing torture testing of tractor trailer transmissions. I really wanted to take the job because I wanted to be able to say that I was one of those 'do not attempt, professional driver on a closed course' type guys. But the job was actually going to be very mundane with no potential for upward advancement so I passed on it.

But one of the questions they were very specific about in the interview was whether or not I would have an issue with having to kill deer in the coarse of doing my job. Apparently, there are a metric shit ton of deer on the proving ground property and they had some issues with drivers who decided to try to avoid hitting them and ended up taking the factory new test trucks off the track, into the weeds and then rolling them over. So their policy was if a deer gets in front of you on the track, aim for it and hit it. Much cheaper to repair the grill and power wash off the rest than upright a rolled truck when you end up off the track and on your side.
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false and by the rulers as useful

SGOS

Quote from: Johan on September 28, 2014, 05:53:55 PM

I had a job offer a few years ago at one of those closed coarse automotive proving ground type places (there are lots of them in Michigan) doing torture testing of tractor trailer transmissions.
That was an interesting post.  But I suppose crashing into deer makes financial sense if it's good for the companies bottom line.  I had a friend in Washington State who operated a massive several ton shaking gizmo for testing cars.  He would secure the car to the plate and then violently shake it for days until something would fail on the car.  Then he would write a report or something, I guess.

Mermaid

Quote from: SGOS on September 28, 2014, 07:16:05 PM
That was an interesting post.  But I suppose crashing into deer makes financial sense if it's good for the companies bottom line.  I had a friend in Washington State who operated a massive several ton shaking gizmo for testing cars.  He would secure the car to the plate and then violently shake it for days until something would fail on the car.  Then he would write a report or something, I guess.
Hey, I spose someone's gotta do it.
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

aitm

One of the first rules my dad told me was: if you are driving by yourself, you are free to try to avoid hitting an animal as long as the road is clear, I would hope you realize that trying to miss is far more dangerous to you than to hit it. But if someone is with you or there is oncoming traffic you hit whatever animal is in front of you no matter how cute it is. It is okay to kill yourself for your ideals, but not to kill or endanger someone else in order to save Bambi. It was pretty much the same rule for anything else regarding passengers, speed or drive like a fucking lunatic as long as you don't endanger someone else. If someone is in the car, they are your responsibility, if they die and you don't, I'll kill you myself.

Stuck with me and the same rule I gave my kid.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

SGOS

Quote from: Mermaid on September 28, 2014, 07:25:36 PM
Hey, I spose someone's gotta do it.
Yeah, weird job.  I kind of thought the same thing.  Fortunately, he didn't have to actually sit in the car, while it was shaking.

AllPurposeAtheist

Destructive testing is always fun. I worked at a place that made heavy hydraulic lifting equipment and they would drag these 10x10x10 cement blocks out and see how many it took to destroy a 20 inch diameter hydraulic ram. If someone in the neighborhood reported a massive earthquake they called the test off. LOL

SGOS

Quote from: aitm on September 28, 2014, 07:32:29 PM
But if someone is with you or there is oncoming traffic you hit whatever animal is in front of you no matter how cute it is. It is okay to kill yourself for your ideals, but not to kill or endanger someone else in order to save Bambi.
I definitely agree.  In fact, I've never been able to slam on the brakes and lock them in an emergency situation on the highway.  I've been lucky so far, but when something suddenly gets in my way, I'm psychologically unprepared to lock the brakes.  In those really close situations, when there isn't time to check the rear view, I can't bring myself to lock the brakes and take a chance of getting rear ended.  It's like I go for the easy impact.  So far that hasn't happened.  I've been lucky enough to have enough room to ease my speed quickly.  This isn't something I've learned.  I've just noticed it's something I do.  Frankly it scares me.  I don't know what the right thing to do is.  I just hope I do it when it needs to be done.  Hopefully, I will.

AllPurposeAtheist

Have you tried taking your hands off the wheel, covering your face with them and screaming in terror?

PickelledEggs

Quote from: Solitary on September 28, 2014, 01:14:23 PM
It may be a humerus, but it's not funny. Good eating only if gutted, bled, and cooked correctly, or not eating pine needles. In Illinois they were usually corn fed. But when done correctly, and barbecued, excellent.
If the deer breaks it's arm, it might be humerus...

AllPurposeAtheist

Quote from: PickelledEggs on September 28, 2014, 08:01:35 PM
If the deer breaks it's arm, it might be humerus...
especially since deer only have legs..

PickelledEggs

Quote from: AllPurposeAtheist on September 28, 2014, 08:10:43 PM
especially since deer only have legs..

I guess it can't ever be humerus then..... isn't that humorous?