News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Bill Maher on PC atheists.

Started by Brian37, September 27, 2014, 04:48:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

williemack

Quote from: Jmpty on October 01, 2014, 12:06:35 PM
http://www.salon.com/2014/09/30/reza_aslan_takes_down_bill_mahers_facile_arguments_on_islam_in_just_5_minutes/

Aslan confirmed a point that Maher often makes: Moderate Muslims (which I assume Aslan describes himself) will defend their faith with more ferocity than they will condemn the extremists. 
Remember, we didn't leave the stone age because we ran out of rocks.

TrueStory

Here is a follow up video with Maher, Sam Harris and Ben Affleck. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XduMMteTEbc#t=366
Please don't take anything I say seriously.

Hydra009

Sam Harris ftw.  Ben Affleck probably meant well, but he definitely had a knee jerk reaction when the term islamophobia was brought out which is unfortunate.  As we're all well aware, it is a horrible mistake to conflate criticism of islam with bigotry towards msulims.

And he is factually wrong about it being just a few bad apples.  Sure, the majority of muslims aren't doing anything particularly bad.  But there is a spectrum of bad beliefs ranging from jihadism to islamism to conservative islam that is responsible for a lot of bad stuff and is supported by a lot of muslims.  The other guests did have an excellent point that of course, there are muslims who oppose jihadism and try to do good.  We would be wise to remember that and to enlist their help whenever possible.  All in all, I suppose both sides had some valid points.

SGOS

I only watched 7 minutes, and was left mostly with the feeling that Ben was too emotional to present his idea clearly.  Maybe he got it together later, but after 4 minutes he spent the rest of the time looking like he was in a sulk.  He's probably a very heartfelt type, but not impressive, at least as far as I watched.

AllPurposeAtheist

I’ve watched Maher for a couple of years and the more I watch him the more he seems like a condescending prick. I never really liked him back when his schtick was standup and now he has HBO to get up and proclaim his own brand of holier than thou atheism..
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

SGOS

Quote from: AllPurposeAtheist on October 05, 2014, 05:57:58 AM
I’ve watched Maher for a couple of years and the more I watch him the more he seems like a condescending prick. I never really liked him back when his schtick was standup and now he has HBO to get up and proclaim his own brand of holier than thou atheism..
He does have a condescending air, which would be unnecessary, even if he were actually highly knowledgeable.  What he does is express opinions, and there is really no reason to be condescending over your own opinions.  They're just opinions.  I don't want to be unkind to him, but his attitude is too typical of the demigods like Limbaugh and O'Reilly.  Such a know-it-all "my opinion is a superior opinion" attitude plays better to the lower class conservatives, maybe conservatives in general. 

Years ago, I longed for a liberal counterpoint to the conservative masters of bitch and bash, and while a few attempts were launched, they mostly failed to gain traction and have wide appeal with liberals  (remember that underground radio program that Al Franken and others started up).  Maher and Olberman come the closest, but they are too easy to spot as editorialists.  Stewart and Colbert are helpful, but the decay of American journalism isn't something that is really funny.  Those two make it seem funny, but it's too much of a serious matter to turn into a joke, IMO.

The liberal counterpoint to conservative demigods has actually been there all along.  I think it's NPR.  Just a straight reporting of open ended facts, which you have to weigh and wonder on your own.  It doesn't necessarily get your hormones in a frenzy, because it lacks the emotional punch of a commentator with his nose continually out of joint.

AllPurposeAtheist

NPR, thinking of being beholden to corporate masters.. Republicans defunded PBS and NPR to a point they're now pawns in the dash for corporate cash. Yes, they try and are a bit more open and honest, but compared to just ten years ago PBS and NPR are mere shells of themselves..

SGOS

Quote from: AllPurposeAtheist on October 05, 2014, 06:49:05 AM
NPR, thinking of being beholden to corporate masters.. Republicans defunded PBS and NPR to a point they're now pawns in the dash for corporate cash. Yes, they try and are a bit more open and honest, but compared to just ten years ago PBS and NPR are mere shells of themselves..
Yes, that's very right. I've watched as some of their better programs bit the dust.  There is something about truth that downright offends people.  But they still try.

AllPurposeAtheist

Doncha just love watching John McCanIbombacountry and Lindsey I'm John's little whore Graham being touted out on the News Hour every few weeks?

Solitary

I watched that show with my wife, and told her I agree with both Ben Afflect and Sam Harris, which left me confused.  :eek: :doh:  :biggrin2:
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

Mike Cl

Once upon a time American TV could be trusted to give us the news.  The networks seemed to take that seriously.  But not any more.  MSNBC is the best of the bunch, with Faux News coming in below last.  I used to also like PBS news.  But that has been weakened lately, as well.  So, I turn to channels like FSTV, Russia Today, BBC, and Al Jazerra (was I shocked and amazed as I watched it for the first few times--almost like they want to get the news right).  Al Jazerra as a channel is becoming better and better.  And I still like Democracy Now.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

doorknob

I'm a PC atheist too. Fuck you apple you and your unuser friendly buggy pieces of shit! Every problem I've had with an apple product I was not able to fix myself I had to depend on the "geniuses" Fuck you apple!

williemack

I don't think Afleck ever understood the argument. He may not have wanted to undrstand, because he kept interrupting and talking over Sam.
Remember, we didn't leave the stone age because we ran out of rocks.