News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

The Police

Started by wolf39us, February 15, 2013, 08:12:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wolf39us

I was wondering everyone's opinion on a thought I had yesterday (and one that has been reoccurring in my mind).

Should all police officers be "able" to have lights installed in their personal vehicles?  I feel like I see a lot of shitty driving on the road all day long, but when there's a cop around, everyone's a god damn saint!

Wouldn't having officers driving around in their personal vehicles be a better deterrent?  Bet you didn't know that Honda Civic was a cop!  BLUE LIGHTS!

I understand that there is a negative to this (impersonating a police officer)... but surely this could be alleviated with some sort of effective identification.  Thoughts?

AllPurposeAtheist

Shitty idea..cops are shitty drivers too when in personal cars.. Sorry wolfe.. I'm not into cop worship as always on the side of truth and justice for all.. ;)
Nice way of saying it's a fucking job.. leave your job at work..
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

wolf39us

I feel like there is an issue with people driving like jerks when there's no cops around,  but driving just fine when the cops are around.  

Yesterday I was dropping my gf off at work, there was some traffic going on...  And I was patient, hanging behind a school bus.  This dude starts driving in the emergency lane all the way in front of me damn near passing that school bus.  I was like "WTF".

That kind of shit makes me wish I was a cop soooo many times

AllPurposeAtheist

Meh...shittt drivers are everywhere. I don't really want cops everywhere.. I urinated in public, behind a parked 18 wheeler in a dark area of a nearly abandoned parking lot last night.. had a cop been there I would now be classified as a 'sex offender' for drinking to much coffee.
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Plu

Shit drivers should just be executed the third time they get caught in a year. That'll solve the problem.

SilentFutility

There are already undercover police vehicles which have lights.

An off-duty police officer is an ordinary person.

Johan

Cops using their personal vehicles for official traffic work is a bad idea for many reasons. Lack of control over vehicle specs, liability involving maintenance and who gets sued after an accident are just a few of the nightmare issues that come to mind but I'm sure there are many others.

Besides many agencies already use unmarked vehicles to do exactly what you're suggesting. They also use unmarked vehicles of various makes and models not typically used as police cruisers. But they're vehicles that are spec'd owned and maintained by the agencies. Much less liability that way.
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false and by the rulers as useful

stromboli

I have worked with police as a Firefighter. If you are expecting higher learning from that direction, don't hold your breath.

Jason Harvestdancer

If only the cops were willing to pull over those who drive too slow.  If you see a long river of angry drivers on your tail, pull the fuck over.
White privilege is being a lifelong racist, then being sent to the White House twice because your running mate is a minority.<br /><br />No Biden, no KKK, no Fascist USA!

Fidel_Castronaut

Or as they're now known, Sting.
lol, marquee. HTML ROOLZ!

SvZurich

Quote from: "Fidel_Castronaut"

Or as they're now known, Sting.
And that other guy who composes music for Sony Playstation games.
Kimberly (HSBUH) aka Baroness Sylvia endorses the Meadow Party's Bill N' Opus for the 2024 Presidential election! Or a Sanders/Warren ticket.

SvZurich

If a cop is on the job, it already has a car with lights.  If off the job, it's just another citizen and should not have access to such tools.  I had no special rights to gear or documents when not on the job when in the Navy.  I didn't deserve to take the boat's small arms or sonar gear with me home.
Kimberly (HSBUH) aka Baroness Sylvia endorses the Meadow Party's Bill N' Opus for the 2024 Presidential election! Or a Sanders/Warren ticket.

_Xenu_

Quote from: "AllPurposeAtheist"Shitty idea..cops are shitty drivers too when in personal cars..
My cousin was cop and drove like a demon on the highways in his own truck. And he would do it while watching movies on a portable DVD player.
Click this link once a day to feed shelter animals. Its free.

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/clickToGive/ars/home

wolf39us

Quote from: "SvZurich"If a cop is on the job, it already has a car with lights.  If off the job, it's just another citizen and should not have access to such tools.  I had no special rights to gear or documents when not on the job when in the Navy.  I didn't deserve to take the boat's small arms or sonar gear with me home.

Yes, but the vehicle that the cop is driving is VERY noticeable and hence catches fewer dickheads

Johan

Quote from: "wolf39us"Yes, but the vehicle that the cop is driving is VERY noticeable and hence catches fewer dickheads
Police use unmarked vehicles all the time. Its very common.

[youtubehd:oycmwluk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6jHUsR9f_k[/youtubehd:oycmwluk]
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false and by the rulers as useful