This is a hoot...or a snort.....or a chuckle.....or a belly laugh.

Started by Mike Cl, September 20, 2014, 07:04:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Cl

Wiki said--Laughter yoga (Hasyayoga) is a practice involving prolonged voluntary laughter. Laughter yoga is based on the belief that voluntary laughter provides the same physiological and psychological benefits as spontaneous laughter. Laughter yoga is done in groups, with eye contact and playfulness between participants. Forced laughter soon turns into real and contagious laughter.

I was not aware of this.  Saw the last part of a CNN bit on it in Denmark.  Gupta (CNN Dr.) was doing this bit.  I watched a circle of people who started laughing.  At nothing, just laughing.  Gupta joined them and started laughing--and I'll be damned if I did not start laughing too!  And you know what?  I liked it!  Laughing feels good!  Gupta mentioned that children laugh 500 times a day--adults only 40.  After thinking about it, I probably don't even reach that--40.  And that is too bad.  I noticed after this program I felt better, because I laughed at those laughing.  I will have to laugh more--scientifically, it has been researched and shown to raise all those good substances in our brains and helps with our cardiac health.  And it has been alluded to that science has shown that those with a positive outlook live longer and are healthier.  I can take that--longer and healthier.  So, Spock, it is not "Live long and prosper.', but Live long and laugh. 
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Munch

Laughing because someone else is laughing is infectious, its all a good thing.
This reminds me of this episode of game grumps, I dunno if its the silliness of his voice acting or the laughter with it, but first time I watched it it had me in stitches for nearly 10 minutes after.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-LfKbCR0MI
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

stromboli

AllPurposeAtheist

Yeah, hilarious when a little kid gets depantsed in school and runs away in tears as all the other cruel children laugh.. ..  Laughter should be penalized by beheading. I hate laughing.... :lol:
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Mike Cl

Some of the videos were funny.  I prefer the animals acting crazy--but not when they get hurt.  But the thing about laughing is that you don't need any props to do it.  Go into a private room if you want and just start laughing.  And continue for awhile.  Apparently our bodies react the same to fake laughing as to real laughing.  And the scientific research suggests our bodies reap real benefits from it.  Maybe I'll try the private room..........maybe.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Mike Cl

Not sure why this piqued such an interest in me, but what the hell--guess I'll just go with it.  This is something I ripped off the net--Harvard, i think.

Laughter is strong medicine for mind and body
“Your sense of humor is one of the most powerful tools you have to make certain that your daily mood and emotional state support good health.”

~ Paul E. McGhee, Ph.D.

Laughter is a powerful antidote to stress, pain, and conflict. Nothing works faster or more dependably to bring your mind and body back into balance than a good laugh. Humor lightens your burdens, inspires hopes, connects you to others, and keeps you grounded, focused, and alert.

With so much power to heal and renew, the ability to laugh easily and frequently is a tremendous resource for surmounting problems, enhancing your relationships, and supporting both physical and emotional health.

Laughter is good for your health
Laughter relaxes the whole body. A good, hearty laugh relieves physical tension and stress, leaving your muscles relaxed for up to 45 minutes after.
Laughter boosts the immune system. Laughter decreases stress hormones and increases immune cells and infection-fighting antibodies, thus improving your resistance to disease.
Laughter triggers the release of endorphins, the body’s natural feel-good chemicals. Endorphins promote an overall sense of well-being and can even temporarily relieve pain.
Laughter protects the heart. Laughter improves the function of blood vessels and increases blood flow, which can help protect you against a heart attack and other cardiovascular problems.

The Benefits of Laughter

Physical Health Benefits:
Boosts immunity
Lowers stress hormones
Decreases pain
Relaxes your muscles
Prevents heart disease
Mental Health Benefits:
Adds joy and zest to life
Eases anxiety and fear
Relieves stress
Improves mood
Enhances resilience

Social Benefits:
Strengthens relationships
Attracts others to us
Enhances teamwork
Helps defuse conflict
Promotes group bonding

Laughter and humor help you stay emotionally healthy
Laughter makes you feel good. And the good feeling that you get when you laugh remains with you even after the laughter subsides. Humor helps you keep a positive, optimistic outlook through difficult situations, disappointments, and loss.

More than just a respite from sadness and pain, laughter gives you the courage and strength to find new sources of meaning and hope. Even in the most difficult of times, a laughâ€"or even simply a smileâ€"can go a long way toward making you feel better. And laughter really is contagiousâ€"just hearing laughter primes your brain and readies you to smile and join in the fun.

stromboli

I live amongst Mormons so I do a lot head shaking and ironic chuckles under my breath. It's a form of exercise.

Solitary

Oh yeah! They forgot to tell you your cheeks hurt like hell after.  :butt:
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

AllPurposeAtheist

Anyone who laughs at this post has to lick the snot off their monitor.. :lol:
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

stromboli

Desdinova

Quote from: stromboli on September 22, 2014, 02:18:10 PM
The drunken young lady stuck in the refrigerator is worth a watch  :biggrin:

Strom, I regret to inform you, THAT is no lady.
"How long will we be
Waiting, for your modern messiah
To take away all the hatred
That darkens the light in your eye"
  -Disturbed, Liberate

Mike Cl

stromboli