News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Linux ...blah blah blah

Started by AllPurposeAtheist, September 18, 2014, 03:13:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AllPurposeAtheist

So i loaded debian 7.6 on my dad's comp, an amd64 bit job and it's working fine except the desktop won't load correctly. i can't make shortcuts and it's just a blank debian screen, blue with the swirly thing.. Gnome and Kde won't load correctly.. Any suggestions?

Ive used debian myself for years, but it's been about 4 years since the last time so I've forgotten more than i learned of how to do these things with a terminal, etc..
Any suggestions?
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

SGOS

No suggestions, but I'll be following this thread.

AllPurposeAtheist

Reinstalling using graphical install, but I fear the same problem.. I can also try Debian.net  They're usually very helpful with stuff. I'll post any solutions ASAP..

AllPurposeAtheist

Well.. Tried that and completely missed the GUI.. NOT a helluva lot fun using a computer solely from the command line.. .. Try try and try again..

_Xenu_

I don't recommend Debian for the rusty. I would try installing a lightweight version of Linux Mint.
Click this link once a day to feed shelter animals. Its free.

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/clickToGive/ars/home

PickelledEggs

Yes. Linux mint is supposively very user-friendly. Almost..... too userfriendly... :eek: :eyes: :lol:

_Xenu_

Quote from: PickelledEggs on September 18, 2014, 09:06:07 PM
Yes. Linux mint is supposively very user-friendly. Almost..... too userfriendly... :eek: :eyes: :lol:
In all fairness, I did not really inquire about the age of the hardware. I just assumed it was a bit older because APA was trying to install Linux on it. Also, APA, since when you do you know anything about Linux? You've never even hinted that you have clue about it.
Click this link once a day to feed shelter animals. Its free.

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/clickToGive/ars/home

PickelledEggs

Quote from: _Xenu_ on September 18, 2014, 09:15:42 PM
In all fairness, I did not really inquire about the age of the hardware. I just assumed it was a bit older because APA was trying to install Linux on it. Also, APA, since when you do you know anything about Linux? You've never even hinted that you have clue about it.

lol I just meant that to be a reference to "It's quiet.... almost too quiet"

AllPurposeAtheist

I used Linux for years back when red hat was the big thing before fedora then used Debian a good while.. Something in the computer isn't compatible so I installed Ubuntu.. Works fine and peachy, but I need to figure out the little tricks like desktop shortcuts and such..

SGOS

Quote from: PickelledEggs on September 18, 2014, 09:18:58 PM
lol I just meant that to be a reference to "It's quiet.... almost too quiet"
One of the classic lines from old movies.  I always associate it with hostile natives in a jungle some place, when some bwana guy makes that chilling observation before the natives attack.  Apparently, the Indians would sometimes also get quiet before they attacked the cavalry (at least in movies).

AllPurposeAtheist

All quiet on the Western front...

SGOS

Quote from: AllPurposeAtheist on September 19, 2014, 08:29:33 AM
All quiet on the Western front...
There's nothing unusual when things are quiet.  It's just when it's TOO quiet.  It takes an astute observer with the experience of an old sage to be able to pontificate the "too quiet" observation.  But when does, you just gotta know that guy knows what he's talkin' about.

AllPurposeAtheist

right now I'm happy with quiet on this computer.. That windows nonsense was nonstop popups and ultra sluggish bullshit.. Of course my dad can't resist the temptation to try out the latest and greatest virus protection program and he'll install them willy nilly till that's all that runs on the damned thing..  What can i say? he still thinks the crime rate has never been higher living in an almost crime free neighborhood nearly his whole life.. He's 86 so....... there just HAS to be a boogieman under every rock somewhere... I'll probably feel the same at his age.

Jason78

Try sticking an Ubuntu live cd in there and see what happens.
Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato

AllPurposeAtheist

Quote from: Jason78 on September 19, 2014, 01:36:59 PM
Try sticking an Ubuntu live cd in there and see what happens.
Your mind reading skills are astonishing, but a tad slow.. that's what I did yesterday.. :lol: