News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Hello

Started by dragonman73, September 19, 2014, 02:35:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dragonman73

Hey Guys,

New member here, I may try and hang around as much as I can and wanted to give a little bio on myself

I am 41, married and no kids. Been married 14 years

I was a non-practicing Christian believer (Baptist) all my life, believed in God but wasn't raised in a Church. Turned 27 and met my wife, whom was a Baptist believer and raised in Church since she was two years old. 

We got married and I joined her Church. While we weren't hard core, pray at every supper Christians we were heavily involved in Church. Spent a lot of time there because I have a skillset that is exploitable. Computers, Audio / Video Construction, Artsy and so forth. They used me a lot.

Around 2010 the preacher had a sermon on Tithing. He made some comments in regards to God doesn't care what bills you have...the Church gets 10% of you gross income before bills and taxes. This is coming from a preacher who built a fancy home away from everyone, Church paid for his doctorate, sent his daughter to private school...and our church was equipped with mac computers and stuff.  He actually left the Church shortly after because God told him to go to a mega church doing less work and making more money...can't blame him for that.

This set a chain of events that got me thinking on the accuracy of the Bible and why we believed it. I started researching Old testament and New testament, which is probably the most I opened the Bible since becoming a "saved Christian" in 2000.

I've since come to the realization that religion in general isn't real, the Bible isn't factual, and most of this stuff is made up and interpreted how it fits peoples needs. There is zero proof that Jesus ever existed and the fact that some of the Bible stories parallel early Pagan stories is astounding.

I "came out" as a non-believer to my wife a few years ago and it was a stressful moment. When I told her I didn't believe in  God she immediately asked what am I going to worship now...the Devil?  She reacted in a way that you thought I just told her I was having an affair. he head was about to explode. But 32 years of indoctrination had taking hold of her.

We've since have an understanding and she knows where I stand on religion and we mutually respect each others beliefs. It also helps that she's not a super grounded, Bible thumping Christian. She basically becomes a Christian on Sundays and Facebook for appearances and to impress her family when needed. We get along great and actually better than most people around us.

We still go to Church, and I do what I can to keep up appearances as I do not want to disappoint her parents or Church members. We actually teach a middle school Sunday school class and children's church right now....and I am struggling with that. It's hard to "teach" something I don't believe in.

I try to tip-toe around presenting this stuff as factual, and when kids ask if God is real...I let my wife handle that. In my ideal world I would rather not go to Church anymore and waste my Sundays. I feel like we get one shot at life and after a 5 day work week my Sundays could be better spent. But by leaving the Church I have too much to lose, including tensions with my wife's family and wife. So I go with a smile on my face. Gotta keep peace.

Anyway, that's about me and thanks for reading

PickelledEggs

Welcome, Dragon! :-)

Sent from your mom

AllPurposeAtheist

While you're at it why not tipytoe around Syria and pretend to shoot at ISIL..  Man.. Still teaching buybull lessons? Be your own man, not some made up TV guy..  Welcome though and I hope you find the courage to drop the charade and don't fear these motherfuckers..
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

stromboli

Welcome. I know that your story is repeated thousands of time over, dealing with non belief in a believing family. Even repeated on here a few times. Enjoy your stay.

dragonman73

Thanks everyone, I just need a place to talk about this kind of stuff.

I live smack in the Bible belt so "coming out" is something that can cause a lot of riffs with friends, family and employers. One of the reasons I do the children's church is so I don't have to sit in the main church and hear the spill from the pulpit....it's kind of a trade off. I'm still going to Church which keeps wife and family happy and I don't have to sit through a service.

usually in Children's Church we do songs, show a quick five minute video / lesson and play games like dodge ball after that. We are more glorified babysitters than anything.

We are there only on Sunday mornings, and that's all I give. We quit doing Sunday night services,  Wednesday services, or any extra stuff the church puts on. So compared to a few years ago we've backed off a lot. I couldn't tell you what's going on in the church any more.

stromboli

You have to live your life as you see fit, so do what you must. I for one would never be judgmental because it took me to age 60 to figure it out, and I was a member of 2 religions.

Desdinova

Welcome aboard Dragonman!  A lot of us on here know where you are coming from.
"How long will we be
Waiting, for your modern messiah
To take away all the hatred
That darkens the light in your eye"
  -Disturbed, Liberate

Solitary

Welcome aboard dragonman73! Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

Mike Cl

Welcome, dragonman.  Took some courage to actually sit down and do some research on the bible.    Ya gotta do what you gotta do.  But maybe you can become a master at playing with the solid church going people--like saying things like 'Dionysus taught that just as Jesus did!"  And walk away smiling. 

In any case, from my short stay here, this is a good place to bounce ideas around.  This is the home of a bunch of knowledgeable people. You will like it.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

SGOS

QuoteAround 2010 the preacher had a sermon on Tithing. He made some comments in regards to God doesn't care what bills you have...the Church gets 10% of you gross income before bills and taxes. This is coming from a preacher who built a fancy home away from everyone,

This set a chain of events that got me thinking
It's funny how one little thing can set something in motion.  That was just one little brick in a wall of indoctrination, but the wall can collapse when that one brick is removed.  I can relate to that quite easily, even though I dealt with many bricks and a few major boulders for many years.  All the while I was processing information and learning a bit of logic, but all of a sudden in my 50s, the whole belief system, or what was left of it, washed away, and it became clear to me that I was an atheist.

Welcome

Mr.Obvious

Welcome Dragonman73, to our merry little band of heathens.
I don't know what it's like to live in the bible belt, and you must, as stromboli said, live life as you see fit. Hope you'll find a way you can keep the peace and have some more happy sundays as well. Good luck in you journey mate, let us help you with a sanctuary if need be.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Munch

Welcome dragonman. As everyone's said, your not alone in what your stuck in, you've found the logical truth, you've opened your mind and found religion for what it is, but your stuck in a situation of not having an easy way out.
You must now bear in mind, as you have discovered this, it may not be as likely to have others around you finding it too, so best thing to do is find others who you can chat with out whatever's on your mind, like us lot here, or maybe those nearby you.
Just keep an open mind and remember what you've found for yourself.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin