News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Hello from the Heart of Dixie.

Started by williemack, September 16, 2014, 09:58:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PopeyesPappy

Meh... I know people that consider anyone north of I-10 a Yankee.
Save a life. Adopt a Greyhound.

GrinningYMIR

Welcome to the forum!

I'm a few states to the north of you, but Alabama man...move north haha
"Human history is a litany of blood shed over differing ideals of rulership and afterlife"<br /><br />Governor of the 32nd Province of the New Lunar Republic. Luna Nobis Custodit

Mike Cl

Quote from: SGOS on September 17, 2014, 07:29:33 AM
I had a friend who loved to try and offend anyone who wasn't from the South by calling them Yankees.  He would call me a Yankee, but I kind of liked the term.  Years later, I was telling my wife about this guy, and it pissed her off that I somehow deserved the label of Yankee.  She was offended.  In no uncertain terms, she said.  You're no Yankee.  I'm from New England.  I'm a Yankee."  And indeed, I've met many people from New England who love the uniqueness of being a Yankee.  They even have publications that make a big deal out of it.  To the rest of us, it just means "from the North."  But when you meet a southerner that still carries the defeat of the Civil war on his shoulders, it comes out sounding like a vile accusation.

For some, it is not the Civil War, but the war of Yankee Aggression. 
And yeah, I sort of adopted that label of 'Yankee' not because I liked it, but because of self defense.  And then I realized that a baseball team was called that.  A natural pairing. 
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Hakurei Reimu

Warning: Don't Tease The Miko!
(she bites!)
Spinny Miko Avatar shamelessly ripped off from Iosys' Neko Miko Reimu

Green Bottle

Afternoon Willie, an welcome to the madhoose, im a cpla thousand miles to the east of you....
God doesnt exist, but if he did id tell him to ''Fuck Off''

Solitary

Welcome aboard williemack! I was raised in the Land of Dixie, and being a Rebel, moved to Illinois, and live in Arizona now where it's warmer, a lot warmer, in fact, hot as hell.  :vegetasmiley: Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

Desdinova

Hello there Willie, I'm in West "BY GOD" Virginia!  And I believe the words are "War Eagle!" And I'll reply with "Let's Go Mountaineers!"

"How long will we be
Waiting, for your modern messiah
To take away all the hatred
That darkens the light in your eye"
  -Disturbed, Liberate

SGOS

Quote from: Mike Cl on September 17, 2014, 08:24:27 AM
For some, it is not the Civil War, but the war of Yankee Aggression. 
Well, the South was enslaving people, buying and selling them like farm equipment and hanging them at the owners discretion.  I think most people find that morally offensive enough to put an end to it.  Yeah, I'm sure some plantation owners felt their rights were being infringed on by the north, but a lot of not so fortunate southern whites had nothing to gain, and were simply conscripted by the southern army to fight the war on behalf of their wealthy counterparts.  I'm happy that war is over, and I think most Americans are.

Mister Agenda

Atheists are not anti-Christian. They are anti-stupid.--WitchSabrina

Mike Cl

Quote from: SGOS on September 17, 2014, 12:03:32 PM
Well, the South was enslaving people, buying and selling them like farm equipment and hanging them at the owners discretion.  I think most people find that morally offensive enough to put an end to it.  Yeah, I'm sure some plantation owners felt their rights were being infringed on by the north, but a lot of not so fortunate southern whites had nothing to gain, and were simply conscripted by the southern army to fight the war on behalf of their wealthy counterparts.  I'm happy that war is over, and I think most Americans are.

I did not say I agreed with that assessment--War of Yankee Aggression.  But it is not that uncommon for southerners to think that. Take a road trip to Alabama/Mississippi or anywhere else in the deep south, stop for some grits and ask about it.  I think you would find quite a few that still think that.  Witness the number of rebel battle flags one can find.  They are everywhere from people's vehicles and homes to the state legislatures.  For some, this is not a dead issue.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

williemack

Quote from: Desdinova on September 17, 2014, 11:40:11 AM
Hello there Willie, I'm in West "BY GOD" Virginia!  And I believe the words are "War Eagle!" And I'll reply with "Let's Go Mountaineers!"

Awesome Picture!  War Eagle and Go Mountaineers!
Remember, we didn't leave the stone age because we ran out of rocks.

williemack

Thanks for the welcomes, I really appreciate it!!
Remember, we didn't leave the stone age because we ran out of rocks.

SGOS

Quote from: Mike Cl on September 17, 2014, 03:04:10 PM
I did not say I agreed with that assessment--War of Yankee Aggression. 
I certainly didn't want to give the impression I thought you did.

stromboli

OK, so War Eagle. I'm in Utah. We got eagles. Not much tide.

PickelledEggs

Quote from: Green Bottle on September 17, 2014, 10:29:40 AM
Afternoon Willie, an welcome to the madhoose, im a cpla thousand miles to the east of you....
you are still the only person I know that can type in an accent. lmao