Why Is Trying To Find The Facts On Topics Looked Down At On This Forum?

Started by Solitary, September 07, 2014, 12:24:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PickelledEggs

*mod mode* Solitary. Stop belaboring bees and get some rest or something. This is getting ridiculous.

[/thread]

Mermaid

A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

PickelledEggs

Quote from: Solitary on September 08, 2014, 01:46:04 AM
Thanks for showing I was correct saying that some people look down at people trying to find facts here. I have had my intellect insulted, called names, had derogatory pictures posted, pompous condescending remarks made at this subject, and all I have done is post facts from the internet. Or maybe I am wrong, it seems to be the staff too that doesn't want to find out what the facts are. I am very much aware that there are different species of bees, sub species. But don't tell me bees are not a species of animal. Why is debating all at once ridiculous? But name calling , insults, pompous condescending remarks OK between atheists at the forum not?  Since my search for facts and the truth is not wanted here I'm leaving permanently just like AP and so many other atheists that got tired of being belittled here. Good luck keeping members when you are so many childish acting pompous ass know-it-all jerks that think because they are educated and young they can disrespect anyone trying to find the truth in all matters of knowledge because they are young or older. Believe me, your day is coming quicker than you think. I came here to learn and have fun---THANKS FOR NOTHING!       

Solitary.

-You said something that was incorrect. And while that wasn't the problem, what WAS the problem, was that when you were corrected by MANY people with correct information, you started arguing with them because you insisted that you were right, when you weren't.

You then started a new thread about how you were so frustrated about people's stubbornness about being right, when it was you that is the person being stubborn.

THEN you continued to insist that you were right (when you weren't) practically throwing a tantrum about it.

Now you are calling people "pompous ass know-it-all jerks"? No one is disrespecting you for not knowing the truth. We are correcting you so you have the right information. After all you just said you're here to "learn and have fun" right? How does someone learn if they insist that the person teaching is wrong?

I've made some incorrect comments myself, but when I've been corrected and explained to why I was wrong about something, I look at it and say "Oh wait, you guys are right"

Trust me, Solitary. You are one of the last people on here I wanted to close a thread on. But you haven't been yourself lately...

the_antithesis

Hakurei Reimu

Yes. Solitary apparently was assaulted by a bee when he was a young man, and now doesn't give them the decency of having a full clade of organisms with many member species.
Warning: Don't Tease The Miko!
(she bites!)
Spinny Miko Avatar shamelessly ripped off from Iosys' Neko Miko Reimu

PopeyesPappy

I know this has been mentioned before but…

Capable of breeding with each other is not the be all end all for the definition of the term species. The definition of the term species is fuzzy at best. The ability to breed is a general guideline. I gave an example in “the bee thread” of lions and tigers. Lions and tigers are separate species yet they can and do interbreed.

Lions (Panthera leo)

Tigers (Panthera tigris)

Each of these species has its own sub species.

Lions:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lion#Subspecies

P. l. persica, known as the Asiatic lion or South Asian, Persian, or Indian lion, once was widespread from Turkey, across Southwest Asia, to India and Pakistan,[23] now around 400 exist in and near the Gir Forest of India.[24]Genetic evidence suggests its ancestors split from the ancestors of sub-Saharan African lions between 203 and 74 thousand years ago.[15]

P. l. leo, known as the Barbary lion, originally ranged from Morocco to Egypt. It is extinct in the wild due to excessive hunting, as the last wild Barbary lion was killed in Morocco in 1942.[25][26] This was one of the largest of the lion subspecies,[27] with reported lengths of 3.0â€"3.3 m (9.8â€"10.8 ft) and weights of more than 200 kg (440 lb) for males. It appears to be more closely related to the Asiatic rather than sub-Saharan lions. A number of animals in captivity are likely to be Barbary lions,[28] particularly the 90 animals descended from the Moroccan Royal collection at Rabat Zoo.[29]

P. l. senegalensis, known as the West African lion, is found in western Africa, from Senegal to the Central African Republic.[30][31]

P. l. azandica, known as the northeast Congo Lion, is found in the northeastern parts of the Congo.[30]

P. l. nubica, known as the East African or Masai lion is found in East Africa, from Ethiopia and Kenya to Tanzania and Mozambique;[31] a local population is known as the Tsavo lion.

P. l. bleyenberghi, known as the southwest African or Katanga lion, is found in southwestern Africa, Namibia, Botswana, Angola, Katanga (Democratic Republic of the Congo), Zambia, and Zimbabwe.[31]

P. l. krugeri, known as the southeast African or Transvaal lion, is found in the Transvaal region of southeastern Africa, including Kruger National Park.[31]

P. l. melanochaita, known as the Cape lion, became extinct in the wild around 1860. Results of mitochondrial DNA research do not support its status as a distinct subspecies. The Cape lion probably was only the southernmost population of the extant P. l. krugeri.[17]

A newly discerned lion subspecies could exist in captivity in Ethiopia's capital city of Addis Ababa.[32] Researchers compared the microsatellite variations over ten loci of fifteen lions in captivity with those of six different wild lion populations. They determined that these lions are genetically unique and presumably that "their wild source population is similarly unique." These lionsâ€"with males that have a distinctly dark and luxuriant mane seam to define a new subspecies perhaps native only to Ethiopia. These lions were part of a collection of the late Haile Selassie I of Ethiopia.[33]

Tigers:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tiger#Subspecies

Bengal tiger (P. t. tigris), also called the Indian tiger lives in India, Nepal, Bhutan, and Bangladesh, and is the most common subspecies. In 2011, the total adult population was estimated at 1,520â€"1,909 in India, 440 in Bangladesh, 155 in Nepal and 75 in Bhutan.[14] It lives in alluvial grasslands, subtropical and tropical rainforests, scrub forests, wet and dry deciduous forests, and mangroves. It is the second-largest of the surviving subspecies. Males attain a total nose-to-tail length of 270 to 310 cm (110 to 120 in) and weigh between 180 to 260 kg (400 to 570 lb), while females range from 240 to 265 cm (94 to 104 in) and 100 to 160 kg (220 to 350 lb).[15][16] In northern India and Nepal, the average is larger; males can weigh up to 235 kilograms (518 lb), while females average 140 kilograms (310 lb).[17]

Indochinese tiger(P. t. corbetti), also called Corbett's tiger is found in Cambodia, China, Laos, Burma, Thailand, and Vietnam. In 2010 the total population was estimated at about 350 individuals.[18] Their preferred habitat is forests in mountainous or hilly regions.[15] Males average 108 inches (270 cm) in total length and weigh between 150â€"195 kg (331â€"430 lb), while females average 96 inches (240 cm) and 100â€"130 kg (220â€"290 lb).[19]

Malayan tiger (P. t. jacksoni) Exclusively found in the southern part of the Malay Peninsula. Was not considered a subspecies in its own right until a 2004 genetic analysis showed that they are distinct in mtDNA and micro-satellite sequences from the Indochinese subspecies.[20] As of 2014 the total population is estimated at 500 individuals.[21] Males range in total length from 190â€"280 cm (75â€"110 in) and weigh between 47.2 to 129.1 kg (104 to 285 lb), while females range from 180â€"260 cm (71â€"102 in) and 24 to 88 kg (53 to 194 lb).[22]

Siberian tiger (P. t. altaica), also known as the Amur tiger inhabits the Amur-Ussuri region of Primorsky Krai and Khabarovsk Krai in far eastern Siberia, with the exception of a small population in Hunchun National Siberian Tiger Nature Reserve in northeastern China, near the border of North Korea.[23][24] In 2005, there were 331â€"393 adult and subadult Siberian tigers in the region, with a breeding adult population of about 250 individuals. As of 2014, the World Wildlife Fund estimates a total population of 400.[25][26] It is the largest subspecies and ranks among the largest felids ever to have existed. Males have a head and body length of between 190â€"230 cm (75â€"91 in) and weigh between 180 to 306 kg (397 to 675 lb), while females average 160â€"180 cm (63â€"71 in) and 100 to 167 kg (220 to 368 lb). Tail length is about 60â€"110 cm (24â€"43 in).[15] Compared to other subspecies, Siberian tigers have thicker coats, paler hues, and fewer stripes.[27][28]

Lions and tigers. Same Genus. Different Species. Multiple sub species of each.

How about sheep and goats? They can and do interbreed. Are they the same species? Scientists certainly don’t classify sheep and goats as the same species even though they can interbreed. In fact they don’t even classify them as the same Genus. Sheep are of the Ovis Genus. Goats are of the Capra Genus. Not only that but their chromosome count is off even further than the human chimp chromosome count. Sheep have 54 chromosomes, and goats have 60. If that isn’t enough to make them separate species then I don’t know what would.

Save a life. Adopt a Greyhound.

Hydra009

Quote from: Solitary on September 09, 2014, 01:35:18 AMI've made some incorrect comments myself, but when I've been corrected and explained to why I was wrong about something, I look at it and say "Oh wait, you guys are right" I did say that---remember?
Yes, you did.  And I was more than willing to drop it there, as my post clearly shows.  But then you immediately went back to your original position, which was still very much in the wrong, and persisted in it, despite being frequently corrected by multiple people.

QuoteAnd after I studied on the internet I was getting conflicting information that was being ignored until it was said: We may both be correct.
You never got conflicting information - only information that you apparently misunderstood and used it to claim that bees are merely different subspecies within a single species, rather than separate species in their own right.

Though you may tell yourself otherwise, we were never both correct.

QuoteI don't like insults instead of evidence when I am wrong, it is not productive to finding the truth.
You got both in spades, and the former only when it was plain that the latter wasn't getting through.

QuoteI know there are many species of bees, but when insulted I will fuck with anyone that does it to me by frustrating them, and that was the real problem here, people not being civil with me by insulting me by words or pictures. It had nothing to do with me not believing what others were saying about the subject.
At last, the truth.  You knew that your claim was false the entire time, yet stubbornly clung onto it out some sort of foolish notion of honor.  Having intellectually honest discussions is a big deal here, and doing this community harm by abandoning that principle was the much greater offense than simply being stubbornly wrong.

You say you are leaving.  Assuming that is true, I wish you farewell.

Desdinova

Solitary, let it go.  I can't believe you guys are having an argument about bees.  From what I have read you haven't been insulted anymore than anyone else around here.  Just let it be and move on.  Nothing more to be gained.  The amount of energy expended researching and debating about this subject eclipses most other arguments on this forum including "Is there a God?"  Let's all hug and have a beer or something.  Jeez.
"How long will we be
Waiting, for your modern messiah
To take away all the hatred
That darkens the light in your eye"
  -Disturbed, Liberate

PickelledEggs

Quote from: Desdinova on September 09, 2014, 01:49:56 PM
Solitary, let it go.  I can't believe you guys are having an argument about bees.  From what I have read you haven't been insulted anymore than anyone else around here.  Just let it be and move on.  Nothing more to be gained.  The amount of energy expended researching and debating about this subject eclipses most other arguments on this forum including "Is there a God?"  Let's all hug and have a beer or something.  Jeez.

*mod* ^What Desdi said. Let it go, guys. This conversation hasn't even been close to productive for quite a while now. For the sake of everyone, I'm closing both threads.