News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Conformity and God?

Started by Contemporary Protestant, September 07, 2014, 09:17:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Contemporary Protestant

Under the assumption that conformity is a negative trait, why would God be a conformist?

This is a thought I had about why there is not a repeatable test to confirm the existence of a God. Because when i think about it, if there was a repeatable test, that means that God had to conform to human expectations

Solitary

QuoteGod had to conform to human expectations

And He conforms exactally to human expectations: Placate me and you go to heaven which theist expect, don't, you go to hell like the ones that are atheists which theist expect. That's one of the reasons I don't believe in Him, among many. Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

Contemporary Protestant

I would say thats oversimplified but I see your point. This is just a thought I had. I am finding that any site that talks about God is biased because statements about God are not based in empiricism.

Mike Cl

Contemporary, how could god be based in empirical evidence or data?  All organized religions teach that reason is not to be trusted--only faith is to be trusted; and that faith, in order to be trusted, must be guided by that religion's hierarchy.  Therefore, one cannot 'prove' that god exists--it is only proven by deep (blind) faith.  For the religious, facts are for the mundane world, not the spiritual world.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Mermaid

I think there is a flaw in this premise. Conformity is not a negative trait at all, unless you are a teenager.

Conformity is what it is. I think there's no repeatable test for the existence of God because, well, God is a fabrication.
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

antediluvian

Quote from: Solitary on September 07, 2014, 09:30:04 PM

And He conforms exactally to human expectations: Placate me and you go to heaven which theist expect, don't, you go to hell like the ones that are atheists which theist expect. That's one of the reasons I don't believe in Him, among many. Solitary

Right, because  humans conceived of god.
I always wondered why having balls was equated with "strength".  Balls are sensitive and delicate, actually.   Better to grow a vagina.  Those things can take a pounding - and pop out a live human being the size of a watermelon.

ApostateLois

God always likes the same things his believers like, hates the same things they hate, and tells them to make the same decisions they would have made on their own. This is evidence enough that humans make God in their own image.
"Now we see through a glass dumbly." ~Crow, MST3K #903, "Puma Man"

Mr.Obvious

Quote from: Mermaid on September 08, 2014, 09:26:32 AM
I think there is a flaw in this premise. Conformity is not a negative trait at all, unless you are a teenager.

Conformity is what it is. I think there's no repeatable test for the existence of God because, well, God is a fabrication.

I agree fullheartedly, conformity isn't an inherently negative trait, nor an inherently positive trait. It depends on the context and circumstance. Besides, everyone conforms to some things on some aspects to some degree.

But CP, I'm a little confused as to what you mean exactly. The obvious hypothetical answer, though still not convincing, as to why we can't use repeatable tests to confirm God is that God is hypothetically a supernatural being, outside of the mere tools (sience and sientific repeatable tests) of man. It's because God supposedly created the natural order and so he is not bound to it himself. It's that we can't detect him, unless he wants us to know him.
As I said, this hypothetical answer is still pretty weak and unconvincing. But I don't think I fully understand your point. Sience and it's repeatable tests don't make things conform, they simply discover natural laws and patterns and such stuff. They don't map out what humans expect, they simple describe what is and how it is. Not how it's expected to be.

Sorry if this post is a bit all over the place, I just don't understand the point you're trying to make here.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

stromboli

Conformity is a built in expectation of religion, so to call it a negative trait is antithetical.

Contemporary Protestant

My point on God and Conformity was just a thought I had

The statement about empiricism and God is that science and theology don't have enough in common to be lumped together. Anyone who is talking about God is no longer in the realm of science because science can't talk about the supernatural, because science is based in empiricism.

Im not making a point, this is really just a random thought I had

The thought came to me because people (teenagers specifically) talk about conformity like its a bad thing, and then have expectations for everything. To me that makes no sense to hate conformity and to have expectations

josephpalazzo

Quote from: ApostateLois on September 08, 2014, 11:28:15 AM
God always likes the same things his believers like, hates the same things they hate, and tells them to make the same decisions they would have made on their own. This is evidence enough that humans make God in their own image.

aitm

Don't you find it rather odd, that all the "behaviours" that god purportedly despises such as jealousy, envy, lust, and hatred, is the very same traits the he himself exhibits with unequaled enthusiasm throughout the entire OT? Perhaps this is why the inventors of your god declared that god made humans in his image as they indeed were the very likeness of the god they made.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

the_antithesis

Quote from: Contemporary Protestant on September 07, 2014, 09:17:27 PM
Under the assumption that conformity is a negative trait, why would God be a conformist?

This is a thought I had about why there is not a repeatable test to confirm the existence of a God. Because when i think about it, if there was a repeatable test, that means that God had to conform to human expectations

That is the stupidest thing I've heard all day.

stromboli

Quote from: Contemporary Protestant on September 07, 2014, 09:17:27 PM

Let's see.... the one, the only, almighty, all powerful, all everything is conforming to almighiest all powerfulest all everythingest standards set by........got a wee problem there.

Green Bottle

God doesnt exist, but if he did id tell him to ''Fuck Off''