News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Independence, or else .

Started by Green Bottle, September 08, 2014, 12:26:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Munch

Quote from: josephpalazzo on September 13, 2014, 04:35:05 PM
This is not in reference to Scotland particularly but to anywhere there is political instability. You'll get a flight of capital and a substantial decrease in investment. So money and jobs are going to be scared, at least until the political situation stabilizes. And I believe this would be true for Scotland in the event that it breaks away. But knowing this should be made clear to the population as this also tests the convictions of the population: are you willing to suffer economically to some extent in order to get some more independence? The key word is "more" as no one really knows how much "more" you'll gain, how much "more" you'll suffer.

When it comes to a countries independence, I'm certain there are dozens of cases of countries that became independent over others in the same way. But just going on speculation here, I believe other countries did so to escape certain cruelty situations with other countries, and as such those countries more then likely got full public approval, like when Australia gained its independence back in 1986. But unlike Australia, which held good reason to when the British garrison fell in the war time, and it didn't see Britain as a strong allie in its protection. unlike them, scotland has held such ties to the uk, and even its military fleet is of Britain, and really aside from strong national pride, there hasn't been anything in a long time that would give Scotland reason to break off from it.

I can understand national pride, even though I don't practice it myself, but where as Australia and other countries that broke off from british rule did so with full national support if reports are true, with scotland, its not full national support, it is infact half the country that isn't backing it, and doesn't wish to split from it. Even the fact they wanted to keep many facets it held with britian like the currency and military, suggests even nationalists want that Britain handed to scotland, just not being tied to the country itself. 

And the hypothetical situation I have to wonder is, if Scotland does become its own land, is it able to support itself in terms of military? I've seen reports of how soldiers there would sooner be stationed in Britain to get some action.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

stromboli

They do have some resources, and are working on alternative energy
http://www.gla.ac.uk/news/headline_358595_en.html
If they have discovered a way to convert sea water to Hydrogen economically, they've opened the way for an abundant power source that is maybe not inexhaustible, but certainly long term. And they do have North Sea oil.

AllPurposeAtheist

I hope for your sake it doesn't boil over to become a civil war or British troops sent to stop independence. It's not as if that's a new and novel approach to solving the issue.
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

josephpalazzo

Quote from: Munch on September 13, 2014, 05:29:32 PM

I can understand national pride, even though I don't practice it myself, but where as Australia and other countries that broke off from british rule did so with full national support if reports are true, with scotland, its not full national support, it is infact half the country that isn't backing it, and doesn't wish to split from it.

Agree. It's one thing when you get 90%+ support for independence, against 50% + 1 vote. The latter is a recipe for disaster.

stromboli

Because this has been brewing for a long time and has caused people to take sides and debate for that long, the level of contention is pretty high. So yes, the potential for recriminations and divisiveness is certainly there. We will see- Thursday and Friday will be newsworthy days.

Green Bottle

Quote from: stromboli on September 14, 2014, 11:32:59 AM
Because this has been brewing for a long time and has caused people to take sides and debate for that long, the level of contention is pretty high. So yes, the potential for recriminations and divisiveness is certainly there. We will see- Thursday and Friday will be newsworthy days.
3 Days to go until the vote, and it still seems that Yes have the momentum tho with it being so close nobody is predicting anything at this point.
The last thing i want to see is trouble after the result is in and i really hope there isnt any, but  we are a passionate people and this is the most important vote in our recent history, but in saying that there have been no incidents reported of threats or violence or intimidation at all.

And i hope it stays that way no matter the result for all our sakes.....

God doesnt exist, but if he did id tell him to ''Fuck Off''

Hijiri Byakuren

Do I ever long for the days when I was overly optimistic, and believed situations like this one could have happy endings.

Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

AllPurposeAtheist

Kind of not to far away is a land where independence has been a bloody bone of contention for some time if memory serves me right. I think they call that land Northern Ireland. I hope you don't have to go down that rabbit hole. There might be snakes in it and Saint Patrick might be a wee bit busy selling fake Irish crap in the US. 

Green Bottle

Quote from: AllPurposeAtheist on September 15, 2014, 08:26:40 PM
Kind of not to far away is a land where independence has been a bloody bone of contention for some time if memory serves me right. I think they call that land Northern Ireland. I hope you don't have to go down that rabbit hole. There might be snakes in it and Saint Patrick might be a wee bit busy selling fake Irish crap in the US. 
In my opinion....
The best thing for northern ireland would be to unite with the south and be a united ireland again but dunno if it will ever happen.

So here we are, a day before the biggest vote in Scotlands history and all the politicians have had their say so now its down to the voters.
Here's a cpla reasons why ill be voting yes..

1,Voting yes means Scotland will never have a Tory government again, deciding our fate and how we run our country.
2,No more Trident, a yes vote means the end of nuclear weapons on the Clyde, the SNP has promised their removel within 5 years of a yes vote.
3, A yes vote will help to defend the NHS  from the effects of privitisation south of the border.
4,Independence means running our own affairs, setting our own tax rates, managing our own economy without westminster interference.
5,Controlling our own armed forces,
6,Making our own decision about europe, the tories want a referendum in the next 2 years to decide on leaving the european union..

I've been looking forward to this day for a long time and hated successive english governments all my adult life, all the way back to thatcher, and her decision to inflict the Poll tax on Scotland a full year before the rest of the uk, that told me all i needed to know about how westminster thought of scotland, not fucking much.
Isnt a union meant to be an equal partnership, its never been that , as far as they are concerned we are second class citizens.
If it wasnt for the billions in oil revenue that flows from the North sea down to westminster they wouldnt give a damn about us, fk them .
Just to be clear on this, its the English government i hate and not the ordinary english people, who are just like us cos iv'e met a few and i know...
Anyhow, rant over.
Saor'' Alba''

stromboli

Great comments. Make your voice heard.

Green Bottle

Quote from: stromboli on September 17, 2014, 06:36:48 PM
Great comments. Make your voice heard.
I did mate, was out in the town today wi my pal scott  just walkin about an the atmosphere was optimistic i think, plenty of yes voters  and gatherings here an there , Flags everywhere an we were putting yes stickers all over the place lol, i was tryin to get a yes t shirt but they were all sold out an i couldnt find one anywhere.
The wee woman in the yes shop in hope st  in the city centre told me that they had sold nearly 2,000 t shirts in the last week, but i never got one, bstrd.

Green Bottle

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1V_jCbTq-c&feature=player_embedded

http://discuss.glasgowguide.co.uk/index.php?s=0bcc3c35f390d82cb3ef3d6fd09a0ec3&showtopic=32558&st=15
Quote ''

- The Big Dog and the Wee Dog -

Once upon a time there were two doggy pals... a big English Bulldog and a wee Scottish Terrier.

They went everywhere together, because their collars were connected by a two metre long cord.

Being much bigger than the Scottish Terrier, the Bulldog was free to go anywhere and do anything he wanted, and the wee Scottie just had to tag along.

The big English Bulldog thought it was a great arrangement because he was the boss, and he always had the friendship and help of his wee Scottish pal.

The big Bulldog could not understand why the wee Scottie wanted to cut the cord and go off and do his own thing.

The Bulldog told the Scottie that if he agreed to stay attached, they could replace the two metre cord with a five metre one, to give the wee Scottie a lot more wriggle room.

But the brave wee terrier decided instead to chew through the cord, and break free from the big English Bulldog.

At last, the Scottie was free to do what HE wanted to do !

AllPurposeAtheist

Bottles, don't you think it a tad naive to think Scotland could never be swayed enough to elect your own version of Tories who might be just as bad if not worse?
Personally I'm a bit neutral if not leary of this from the states because I can see the same thing happening here and I don't want to live in the nation of South Carolina. I'd be beheaded just for wearing my Stop Bitching Start A Revolution t-shirt, having long hair and expressing my opinion of the church..

Green Bottle

Naive,  Moi, no no no

APA  seriously man, what u on... :rotflmao:
i think any government elected by the people of Scotland would be nothing like the tories or any other westminster party.
any govt elected in England is elected mainly by the wealthy and prosperous south of england to serve the interests mostly of the wealthy and prosperous south of england.
thats where all the money goes and fk the rest of us, including the north of england.