News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Independence, or else .

Started by Green Bottle, September 08, 2014, 12:26:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Solitary

I'm still trying to learn English, besides Spanish and Italian. I knew French when younger good enough to get by, but never could pronounce things correctly, and Dutch is really hard, and I sound like a farmer. When I was in Ireland their language is English, but to get a government job you have to know Gaelic, and in Holland you have to know Dutch to be accepted. They have more unwritten rules you have to follow than anywhere I've been. Women smoking in public is frond upon and considered cheap, and so is prostitution, even though it is legal, but not on the streets. Accept for the weather I like it there, same with Ireland, that was like going home a hundred years later.
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

Icarus

Quote from: josephpalazzo on September 21, 2014, 03:14:36 PM
Yes, my apologies.

So your complain is based on your wish to have a less demanding job by taking a post with the federal government? Hmmmm... I'm sure many only wish to be so unfortunate as you are, LOL.
Nice strawman, here's what I said "In later life I would like to work in a less demanding sector" I'm sure you understand the desire to not be in a high-stress atmosphere for more than 25 years or so. If you can work 60-70 hours a week trying to meet deadlines for more than 25 years, good on you.

josephpalazzo

Quote from: Icarus on September 21, 2014, 03:19:11 PM
Nice strawman, here's what I said "In later life I would like to work in a less demanding sector" I'm sure you understand the desire to not be in a high-stress atmosphere for more than 25 years or so. If you can work 60-70 hours a week trying to meet deadlines for more than 25 years, good on you.

I understand that desire as I have myself retired from academia and enjoy the free time now available to me, but it's hardly a justification on your part to rail against the Canadian government on its bilingual policy for federal jobs.

Icarus

Quote from: josephpalazzo on September 21, 2014, 03:35:11 PM
I understand that desire as I have myself retired from academia and enjoy the free time now available to me, but it's hardly a justification on your part to rail against the Canadian government on its bilingual policy for federal jobs.

Why not? This is an open discussion forum, I'm not trying to start a riot or even get any policy to change because I know it would be pointless. I can openly share my opinion of the system and point out the flaws, as most people on this forum do all the time. I knew you could relate because I've looked at your blog and know bit about your background in physics. You understand that stress and need to decompress.

josephpalazzo

Quote from: Icarus on September 21, 2014, 03:47:06 PM
Why not? This is an open discussion forum, I'm not trying to start a riot or even get any policy to change because I know it would be pointless. I can openly share my opinion of the system and point out the flaws, as most people on this forum do all the time. I knew you could relate because I've looked at your blog and know bit about your background in physics. You understand that stress and need to decompress.
Definitely it's an open discussion forum.  And definitely we're not going to solve the world problems on this forum. But I've enjoyed a few exchanges with you.
:wink2:

DunkleSeele

Quote from: josephpalazzo on September 21, 2014, 01:14:42 PM
It's a good thing you don't live in Switzerland where government workers are required to know German, French, Italian, along with English - though the latter is not required but strongly recommended.

No, they aren't. If you live in Switzerland, you've the right to get any document you may need in any of the Swiss official languages (German, French, Italian, Reto-romansch), even if it's not the language officially spoken in the "Canton" (state) where you live. As well, you've the right to produce any document you may be requested to in any of the above languages. But I dare you to go to any governmental office here in Switzerland and find many workers who speak all those languages.

josephpalazzo

Quote from: DunkleSeele on September 21, 2014, 04:12:40 PM
No, they aren't. If you live in Switzerland, you've the right to get any document you may need in any of the Swiss official languages (German, French, Italian, Reto-romansch), even if it's not the language officially spoken in the "Canton" (state) where you live. As well, you've the right to produce any document you may be requested to in any of the above languages. But I dare you to go to any governmental office here in Switzerland and find many workers who speak all those languages.

Thanks for the correction. In my short stay in that country, I saw everywhere there was a government office, or I had to enter into a conversation with government workers, they knew those languages - why, because I asked them as I was quite surprised by their fluency in several languages, and by the posters which were in those four languages.  Perhaps, these were exceptional workers, the ones I happened to have met.

DunkleSeele

Quote from: josephpalazzo on September 21, 2014, 05:33:26 PM
Thanks for the correction. In my short stay in that country, I saw everywhere there was a government office, or I had to enter into a conversation with government workers, they knew those languages - why, because I asked them as I was quite surprised by their fluency in several languages, and by the posters which were in those four languages.  Perhaps, these were exceptional workers, the ones I happened to have met.
If you want to be a government worker with direct contact to the public, being multilingual is of course an advantage. Still, it is not a requirement to speak three or four languages. It also depends on where you are. In big cities like Zürich, Bern or Geneva you'll find more multilingual officials than in small places in the Swiss Alps. Take also into account that most Swiss study at least two languages in addition to their own (whether they speak them is another matter, though).