News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

In reference to "Swatting"

Started by PickelledEggs, September 01, 2014, 03:15:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PickelledEggs

For people that don't know what swatting is.... It's basically a prank that involves someone faking a threat to get someone swarmed by a S.W.A.T. team.

It's truly a disgusting prank, if you want to call it a prank, but it seems like there are finally measures being taken against these jerks.

QuoteDeQuincy, LA â€" What many teenagers these days are considering a harmless prank, has landed one online gamer in more trouble than he could have ever imagined. In a Louisiana courtroom today, 15-year-old Paul Horner broke down in tears after a judge found the young man guilty on two counts of domestic terrorism and was sentenced to twenty-five years to life in federal prison.

Horner is the first person in history to be charged with what is known as ‘swatting‘, a growing trend in which a person anonymously files a false police report, such as a murder or bomb threat, in hopes of provoking the police to raid an individual’s home or business. Prosecutors in the case proved that Horner called in multiple false threats against rival online gamers, resulting in SWAT team raids of their residence.

“Swatting” is a new fad among gamers targeting those who “livestream“, broadcasting themselves and their game play live over the Internet to fans and in-game rivals alike. If a gamer is able to ascertain the personal information of a rival, by locating their IP and residential address, they will call in a dangerous threat to law enforcement and watch as the “livestreamer’s” house is forcibly entered by police.

The practice of “SWATTING” was recently brought to national attention by the YouTube video: The Creatures (Kootra) got SWAT Raided (SWATTED) #FreeKootra2014. Law Enforcement agencies say that the practice, which has been occurring with increasing frequency since 2013, wastes valuable resources and places innocent people in harm’s way. The 2014 incident, which resulted in the charges against Horner, are a prime example of this.

Defense lawyers told the courtroom that Horner, who goes by the gamertag BadAssDwg69, was upset after being repeatedly beaten by a fellow gamer at Battlefield 4. After obtaining the rival gamers information, prosecutors say Horner called police and reported a murder/hostage situation at the home. SWAT team then raided the house, shooting and critically injuring the “Livestreamer’s” father in the process. Following an investigation of the incident, Horner was charged as an adult, using provisions of the 2001 Patriot Act. Horner’s guilty charge stems from two counts of domestic terrorism, related to his manipulation of an enforcement response, and injuries to innocents resulting from those actions.

Prosecutors played audio of Horner’s 911 phone call to the jury:

“I just shot and killed four people. If any police enter my home I will kill them too,” the statement read in part.

During closing arguments, prosecuting attorney Tom Downey explained the state’s assessment of Horner to the jury.

“There were no victims or any evidence that a shooting had taken place,” Downey said. “Horner’s actions are pure evil, he is a menace to society and must be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.”

Horner, described as affecting a brash, “hardcore” persona while online was anything but throughout the trial. At multiple times Horner broke down into fits of sobbing hysteria and calls to his mother, to the point that the presiding Judge, Arthur Digsby, was forced to have him removed. Hearing the sentence of 25 years to life, Horner began sobbing. Judge Digsby told Horner that though he felt bad for the youth, he was ultimately responsible for his own actions.
“Ignorance of consequence because of lack of thought absolves no one”, the Judge told Horner. “Thinking that your actions were only a prank did not make them only a prank.”

Raids by SWAT teams are known as the most dangerous work law enforcement can do. On December 19th of last year, near Somerville, Texas, a SWAT team deputy was shot and killed during an attempt to serve a no-knock warrant. Just before 6:00 A.M., SWAT team members entered the home of Henry Goedrich Magee. They were there to serve a warrant which would permit the team to search the mobile home in which Magee and his pregnant girlfriend were living. Reacting to the pre-dawn, forced entry, Magee grabbed a rifle propped against a bedroom door frame and fired at the unidentified intruders, killing 31 year old sheriff’s deputy Adam Sowders.

Judge Digsby finished his sentencing as he went on to admonish anyone who would try to emulate such idiocy.

“Leave your petty pride in the realm of digital fantasy where it is still safe,” Digsby said. “Because, as young mister Horner has learned, actions in the real world don’t have a reset button. And every parent should make sure their children understand that.”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uskHqJEL_Lw
http://www.nymeta.co/15-year-old-swatted-gamer-convicted-domestic-terrorism-25-years-life-federal-prison/?utm_source=vi&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=swattingvi

Solitary

I think it is a little extreme to charge a 15 year old with that sentence if no one was hurt or killed because of it. It needs to be stopped and examples have to be shown, but the Patriot act is being used now to make people terrorists that aren't---that is, until this has become a Police State where the police shoot and ask questions after. Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

wolf39us

Quote from: Solitary on September 01, 2014, 03:47:28 PM
I think it is a little extreme to charge a 15 year old with that sentence if no one was hurt or killed because of it. It needs to be stopped and examples have to be shown, but the Patriot act is being used now to make people terrorists that aren't---that is, until this has become a Police State where the police shoot and ask questions after. Solitary

I agree the charge was a tad extreme but you should keep in mind how police treat their suspects.  Don't hear or don't listen or question a cop and you'll get taken down, hurt, shot, or even killed.

Hydra009

Quote from: Solitary on September 01, 2014, 03:47:28 PMI think it is a little extreme to charge a 15 year old with that sentence if no one was hurt or killed because of it. It needs to be stopped and examples have to be shown, but the Patriot act is being used now to make people terrorists that aren't---that is, until this has become a Police State where the police shoot and ask questions after. Solitary
I don't think it was extreme sentence.  It's a fake report to police (which is a big no-no in and of itself, but also ties them up so they're potentially not available to respond to an actual life-or-death situation).  Also, the SWAT people aren't exactly the friendliest people on the planet, which puts the victim of swatting (and anyone nearby) at extreme risk.  No one got killed because of it this time, but there's definitely the potential for that to happen.  25 years is appropriate for that sort of crime.

Shiranu

Quote from: Solitary on September 01, 2014, 03:47:28 PM

QuoteSWAT team then raided the house, shooting and critically injuring the “Livestreamer’s” father in the process.

I think 25 is a bit extreme, but there has to be SOME consequence for intentionally putting people it a situation where some adrenaline-filled SWAT men are going to be entering an unknown situation and pointing guns at innocent civilians. That is about as dangerous as getting behind the wheel of a car drunk, which carries very harsh repercussions.

That said, it again feels too extreme. I think maybe a few years in jail + probation + counseling would have been a far better sentence. Or even skip the jail sentence and just give him probation and counseling. It was a stupid prank by a stupid 15 year old... punishing what will be a 40 year old man for something he did at 15 is just... I don't know, there is just something not right about that to me.

We are too quick to just say, "Well... you broke the law, so you have to be thrown away!" instead of, "You did something stupid, but we don't believe you are an inherently broken person; here is your punishment and here is how we will see if we cant correct you".

Edit; Well damn it Jmpty, you made that post meaningless :P.

Still, I think for any future cases that are brought up because of swating the basic premise remains; rehabilitate, not lock away and throw away the key.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Mermaid

With this kind of a sentence, (someone who knows more about law, which is basically everyone, stop me if I am misspeaking here), decisions have to be made to categorize the nature of the crime and the outcome, right? IOW, The judge can't just arbitrarily say "You suck, life for you"). So it was decided that this kid would be tried as an adult, and the nature of his crime that he'd be tried for was established before any hearings or the final verdict.

Right?

So when the verdict is handed down, the judge only has a certain amount of discretionary leeway.

It's a harsh sentence for a 15 year old kid, I agree.
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

Hydra009

Quote from: Jmpty on September 01, 2014, 04:46:43 PM
http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/130613-you-ve-been-swatted-gamer-getting-25-years-for-terrorism-is-also-hoax
Damnit.  Well, I'd better start up the oven for my crow pie.  I still think swatting should merit harsh punishment, though.  And now I'm curious to see what the actual punishment will be.

Mermaid

A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

Jmpty

???  ??

Savior2006

Specifically, gamers who did live commentaries with face cams would be chosen, so they can be arrested while people watch over the internet.

I don't know, for me, I don't feel that much sympathy for the kid. It's brazenly stupid thing to do, the motive of which was losing at a video game. I mean come on people. We've all lost at video games before. The kid being could've been shot. If there'd been a gun at his house, he could've shot one of the police not knowing who they were.
It took science to do what people imagine God can do.
--ApostateLois

"The closer you are to God the further you are from the truth."
--St Giordano