U.S.A. and gun control, is there really a serious problem?

Started by Rob4you, August 30, 2014, 11:53:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wolf39us

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on September 02, 2014, 08:05:12 AM
The only successful "defense" with a firearm would be show that you are willing to use it. Many people buy firearms but wouldn't have the cojones to shoot someone even if it meant saving their own lives.

Which can all be thrown out the window once any attacker decides to come right in.  You're stressed, scared, and are not about to start thinking too clearly.

SGOS

The gun enthusiasts that I know do not keep their guns in safes for safety reasons.  They use safes to prevent possible theft.  In fact, most keep at least one gun loaded and in the open for easy access in case their home should be invaded.  There seems to be a divide between gun owner talk, and gun owner behavior.  Everyone knows the NRA talking points, which are cherry picked for political appeal.  Then there is reality, which doesn't necessarily reflect the talking points.

It makes no sense to keep all your guns locked in safes, if your main reason for having guns is self defense.

wolf39us

Quote from: SGOS on September 02, 2014, 08:12:41 AM
The gun enthusiasts that I know do not keep their guns in safes for safety reasons.  They use safes to prevent possible theft.  In fact, most keep at least one gun loaded and in the open for easy access in case their home should be invaded.  There seems to be a divide between gun owner talk, and gun owner behavior.  Everyone knows the NRA talking points, which are cherry picked for political appeal.  Then there is reality, which doesn't necessarily reflect the talking points.

It makes no sense to keep all your guns locked in safes, if your main reason for having guns is self defense.

Which is fine and dandy, until other people are in your home... especially kids.

GSOgymrat

Quote from: PureEvil on September 02, 2014, 01:14:30 AM
The protection issue is very true, there was a case in the small town iam in now where a kid broke in and tried to rob the place. The owner grabbed his gun when he heard something and went to check on it. When he did the guy robbing the place shot him, but the owner was able to shoot the robber as well. Both lived and due to the robbers injures he had to go to the hospital where he was caught and is now sitting in jail with a 15 year sentence.

Here is a good site for lots of cases where people use guns to protect themselves, there family, and property: http://www.nraila.org/gun-laws/armed-citizen.aspx

The problem is that the news rarely covers these cases and only seems to like to cover the cases where guns are used for the wrong reasons.

I feel this attitude is the root of the problem. Some people live in fear and want to protect themselves from other people-- understandable. However Americans in particular have adopted the idea that the best way to protect oneself is with a lethal response, preferably a gun. A gun is a great way to protect yourself if you don't mind killing people. Unfortunately for me, and I'm apparently the only American who feels this way, I believe killing people is almost always a bad outcome. I would never own a handgun because I don't want to shoot people. I'm not saying I could never kill anyone, I know I could, and that is why when I am in my rational mind I make a conscious decision not to have a lethal weapon available when I am in a panicked, fight-or-flight situation when my primitive brain overrides my frontal cortex. Just like I know not to buy cookies during the day because I won't be able to resist them at night, I don't buy a lethal weapon when I am calm because I know I might use it when I am panicked. If I was afraid for my safety I would take non-lethal precautions like investing in home security, buying a Taser, pepper spray and such.

I was at a Christmas party and people were talking about guns and if you shoot someone who comes to your door be sure to bring their corpse inside to avoid legal complications. Everyone was totally serious and completely okay with killing someone who threatened you on your property. I'm sitting their thinking "really? Like there are no other options in this scenario?" Of course these people are all Christians, so they don't share my values, but it was still very disturbing.

I don't think gun laws are going to help as long as people believe that shooting someone who threatens you is an appropriate response.

Moralnihilist

I keep a 12 gauge shotgun as my home protection. I load it with bean bag rounds. Simple and non lethal(mostly). If needs be the 4th round(the last I keep loaded) is a deer slug. If 3 bean bag rounds don't change your mind about being in my home without my permission then I can safely assume that you mean me or mine harm and I shoot to kill.
Science doesn't give a damn about religions, because "damns" are not measurable units and therefore have no place in research. As soon as it's possible to detect damns, we'll quantize perdition and number all the levels of hell. Until then, science doesn't care.

wolf39us

Quote from: Moralnihilist on September 02, 2014, 02:11:20 PM
I keep a 12 gauge shotgun as my home protection. I load it with bean bag rounds. Simple and non lethal(mostly). If needs be the 4th round(the last I keep loaded) is a deer slug. If 3 bean bag rounds don't change your mind about being in my home without my permission then I can safely assume that you mean me or mine harm and I shoot to kill.

That's an interesting method LOL

Shiranu

Quote from: Moralnihilist on September 02, 2014, 02:11:20 PM

I rather like that, actually.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Solitary

There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

Johan

Quote from: wolf39us on September 02, 2014, 07:53:22 AM
The safe is only one small bit.  Studies show that you are significantly more likely to be shot while in possession of a firearm than while not.
Studies also show you are significantly more likely to be in a plane crash if you learn to fly airplanes. Didn't stop me from learning to fly nor did it stop me from flying for a living. And yet, here I am still kicking. Must be a miracle that I survived I guess because according to the statistics, I should have been dead long ago. Statistics don't always tell the whole story nor do they always tell the true story.
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false and by the rulers as useful

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: wolf39us on September 02, 2014, 08:07:11 AM
Which can all be thrown out the window once any attacker decides to come right in.  You're stressed, scared, and are not about to start thinking too clearly.
Nah, I eleven katanas stashed around the house. Krook-ka-bobs anyone?
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

TrueStory

Quote from: wolf39us on September 02, 2014, 07:53:22 AM
The safe is only one small bit.  Studies show that you are significantly more likely to be shot while in possession of a firearm than while not.

Most of those are suicides though so that data isn't as telling as it seems.  Not that guns are any less dangerous because it makes suicide easier but it's not criminals overtaking you and using your gun against you.

Also we are really talking about handguns. 
Please don't take anything I say seriously.

SGOS

The self defense argument by the NRA seems to be the most popular of the arguments.  I find that odd.  I have owned several guns over the years, but my reason was for hunting.  I never really thought about someone invading my home.  I know it could happen, but the home defense argument strikes me as exaggerated paranoia. 

I was a member of the NRA for a short time.  The idea of a group for hunting enthusiasts, even just plain gun enthusiasts, seemed like a reasonable idea.  But that's not the image of the NRA.  It's more like a group of fanatics that have lost perspective and see guns as a replacement for ordinary conflict resolution.  I tend to think they represent the gun industry more than gun owners.  That's not what I wanted from the NRA and I quit.  They bugged me to rejoin for years.  I told them why I was no longer interested, but they kept calling, and calling, and calling.  I actually, wondered if I would have to file a restraining order.  That was before they had don't call laws.

Rob4you

I saw the links of Hydra and Minimalist, and it seems that there is a problem, but as Johan said it becomes difficult to figure out who is telling the whole truth.  :confused2:

But I think that even if there isn't a huge problem still there is a problem, because I think it's a bit strange that in the U.S.A. you must be 18 to vote, 21 to drink, and 16 to drive, but only 9 to fire a machine gun?  :confused2: I think the instructor and / or the gun school should not let kids that young learn to use a gun, btw which is the minimum age according to the Law?

IMHO if you really have to teach your kids to use a gun, at least the kid should use something smaller, not automatic, maybe one of those hunt rifles with only 1 bullet and manual reload...

Anyway, thanks for commenting  :smile2:
"It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring". Carl Sagan

"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence". Carl Sagan

"What I\'m saying is, if God wanted to send us a message, and ancient writings were the only way he could think of doing it, he could have done a better job". Carl Sagan

Moralnihilist

There really isn't a minimum age to fire a gun legally. There are common sense "rules" to age limits. But as we all know common sense is no longer common.

In regards to the whole teaching kids to shoot guns "issue", IF done properly and responsibly, can be a great parent child bonding thing. As an adult, you most likely won't like the same music, cars, movies, or whatever as your child. However if both of you enjoy target shooting, that can be a point to start up conversations or whatever it is parents are supposed to do with their kids(no kids here). And lets be honest, a box or 2 of .22's is cheap for a parent child thing.

I know its anecdotal, but, I still remember my first bullseye. I had been shooting for 3 years, my father would only let me shoot using iron sights(no scope), but the sense of accomplishment I got when I finally hit that bullseye at full range length was amazing(to a 12 year old). Its memories like that that remind me that even though my father is a right wing looney at times he still cared for me and did the best he could for us as a family.
Science doesn't give a damn about religions, because "damns" are not measurable units and therefore have no place in research. As soon as it's possible to detect damns, we'll quantize perdition and number all the levels of hell. Until then, science doesn't care.