News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

NASA's new toy

Started by GrinningYMIR, September 01, 2014, 09:59:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GrinningYMIR

Supposedly this big guy is going to have the power to reach the asteroid belt and back by the 2030's, that is if the budget isn't cut or something of the like. NASA isn't what it used to be, but I still have hope that we'll reach that point

Problem is a lot of people think exploring space is a waste of time, or worst, against their religion

http://www.theverge.com/2014/9/1/6093189/nasa-is-building-the-largest-rocket-of-all-time-for-a-2018-launch
"Human history is a litany of blood shed over differing ideals of rulership and afterlife"<br /><br />Governor of the 32nd Province of the New Lunar Republic. Luna Nobis Custodit

Hydra009

Quote from: GrinningYMIR on September 01, 2014, 09:59:42 PMProblem is a lot of people think exploring space is a waste of time, or worst, against their religion
Which is a strange position to take when it's fairly productive and inexpensive, especially compared to the other items on the government expense forms.

GrinningYMIR

They'd rather finance the F-35 :P

My mom has a friend who is vehemently against space exploration, saying that "We need to fix the issues here first"

I almost socked her when she said that it was a waste, especially when she denied that more resources we need exist in space, for a god damn doctor, this woman is stupid
"Human history is a litany of blood shed over differing ideals of rulership and afterlife"<br /><br />Governor of the 32nd Province of the New Lunar Republic. Luna Nobis Custodit

Hydra009

Quote from: GrinningYMIR on September 01, 2014, 10:31:39 PMMy mom has a friend who is vehemently against space exploration, saying that "We need to fix the issues here first"
IIRC, I've come across exactly that on this very forum at least once.

My retort:

1) Indefinite delay (which curiously, isn't imposed on other areas of research)
2) It actually is helpful in fixing the issues here.
3) In addition to the tangible benefits, space exploration also provides a peaceful project for nations to pursue as opposed to conflict.  It fosters international cooperation as well as hope for the future.
4) In the long term, space colonization may prove essential for the survival of the human race.  All it takes is one really bad catastrophe on Earth to set humanity back decades if not wipe it out entirely.

TL;DR not only do we need space, we need to need space.

stromboli

People don't realize that huge chunks of our technology from integrated circuits, miniaturization and even our mattresses come from NASA. Every frickin' phone call made or Iphone photo taken can be linked back to NASA.  Mining the asteroid belt was an idea way back when, made sense then and even more so now. With advancements in robotics and computers and even more advances in the future, asteroid mining is a certain gigantic cash cow; we are talking trillionaires.

Atheon

Quote from: GrinningYMIR on September 01, 2014, 10:31:39 PMMy mom has a friend who is vehemently against space exploration, saying that "We need to fix the issues here first"
I hate that excuse. It assumes we aren't capable of addressing multiple issues simultaneously.
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." - Seneca

GrinningYMIR

Space travel is the future, the religious folks and the liberals will have to wrap their heads around that. (Yes both sides have people who stand against it) There are resources out there that we desperately need right now, from pure, untainted iron in asteroids, to an ocean of natural gas that could power the world that lies on Titan.

I admit I'm a bit biased towards it, but I still think its the best route, because this planet will be used up eventually and will have to rely on extra-geo sources for its food, minerals, power supplies, everything. We have to go forward or else we'll get bogged down and drown in the ruin of our own dead world.

Solitary

And just think, eventually we could send all the Christians and Muslims to Kolob to be with Jesus.  :eek: :pidu: :dance: :super: Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

ApostateLois

I think that trying to settle on another planet is certainly a waste of time. We can't even take care of the planet we have right now, why should we be granted the opportunity to trash another one? Humans will never change. Wherever we go, we'll just exploit all the resources we can grab with no concern for the long-term consequences, and we'll divide ourselves into warring factions who can't agree on anything, and probably take all of our stupid religions with us. I see no point to that.
"Now we see through a glass dumbly." ~Crow, MST3K #903, "Puma Man"

Hydra009

Quote from: ApostateLois on September 09, 2014, 03:54:48 PMI think that trying to settle on another planet is certainly a waste of time. We can't even take care of the planet we have right now, why should we be granted the opportunity to trash another one?
Actually, learning how to successfully terraform a planet for eventual human settlement might be exactly what we need.  The same technologies that we develop for space can also be applied here.

GrinningYMIR

Hey, the day they ask for volunteers, I'll be first in line to go

Hydra009

http://www.space.com/22238-mars-one-private-colony-volunteers-meeting.html

First generation settlers or first generation cannibals, depending on how you look at it.

(just kidding about the cannibalism, unless it goes that way, in which case I'm totally not joking)

GrinningYMIR

I'd still do it, though the lack of women would bother me I think

Solitary

I hear there is a lot of them on Kolob.
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.