News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

TV Series Thread

Started by PickelledEggs, August 26, 2014, 06:28:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cavebear

Quote from: Hydra009 on January 27, 2018, 12:53:59 PM
I rewatched some DS9.  It just now struck me how 90% of that show was characters having conversations.  And for the most part, they were interesting conversations.  There's a great mix of characters, with a variety of different backgrounds and perspectives.  It felt cosmopolitan in a way that no Trek has before or since.

Well, basically, it was a space city, not just a ship.  I liked Odo.  I didn't like Sisko much, especially after they made him sort of deistic.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on January 27, 2018, 02:12:42 PM
Well, basically, it was a space city, not just a ship.  I liked Odo.  I didn't like Sisko much, especially after they made him sort of deistic.

I liked Garak vs Bashir.  Sisko was a prequel to the Obama deity.  Odo?  You just wish you could sleep in a bucket ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

SGOS

I just finished watching the third year of Better Call Saul, since year 3 just came out on video.  That took three days.  I tried to space the episodes out to savor them, but it's far too interesting for me to do that.  Year 1 and 2 were maybe a bit slow, but still highly interesting, but as often happens the crew is finding it's stride, and 3 really shows that.  I'm not sure if I over evaluate Better Call Saul because of my love affair with Breaking Bad, but I suppose I don't really care why I like it.  I'm now into watching the year over again to savor it some more.  I hate waiting a whole year for he disks, but then waiting for the next episode when there are only 10 in a season would drive me nuts too.

Hydra009

Quote from: Cavebear on January 27, 2018, 02:12:42 PMI liked Odo.  I didn't like Sisko much, especially after they made him sort of deistic.
I'm most fond of the aliens in that series; Garak, Quark, Odo, Kira, and Gul Dukat.  They have such fascinating backstories and perspectives that conflict to varying degrees with Starfleet ideals.

The prophet stuff rubbed me the wrong way, but I grew to like Sisko.  The scenes were he plays hardball are a real treat.

Cavebear

Quote from: Hydra009 on January 28, 2018, 01:17:20 PM
I'm most fond of the aliens in that series; Garak, Quark, Odo, Kira, and Gul Dukat.  They have such fascinating backstories and perspectives that conflict to varying degrees with Starfleet ideals.

The prophet stuff rubbed me the wrong way, but I grew to like Sisko.  The scenes were he plays hardball are a real treat.

Sisko was a good hard negotiator.  Quark grew.  Odo was always a bit weird.  Among the things I always enjoyed about all the Star Trek shows was that they always managed to come up with some special character who was "different".  Too many other sci-fi shows just had some human with antennas.  From Spock to the Voyager Doctor, each was interesting and unique.  And each explored what it meant to be "intelligent".

Sal1981

Watched 2 episodes of the Netflix series Altered Carbon. It's very Blade Runner-esque.

Cavebear

Quote from: Cavebear on February 02, 2018, 02:29:45 AM
Sisko was a good hard negotiator.  Quark grew.  Odo was always a bit weird.  Among the things I always enjoyed about all the Star Trek shows was that they always managed to come up with some special character who was "different".  Too many other sci-fi shows just had some human with antennas.  From Spock to the Voyager Doctor, each was interesting and unique.  And each explored what it meant to be "intelligent".

I will easily admit that the first time I saw the 1701 Enterprise in 1967, I was in awe of anything they did.  I was 17.  But as time went on, I grew and they didn't really.  Until New Generation.  And then DS9 and Voyager.  And then the movies.

I began to study the special characters.  Spock, Data, Guigan, the Doctor, Odo, 7 of 9.  They were all very different, but each was exploring some part of our human nature.  Someday, I may write about that.

Mr.Obvious

I heard netflix came out with a great anime series.

Three episodes into kakegurui, I'm starting to suspect people meant devilman crybaby.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Sal1981

Have ya'll seen Black Mirror?

Currently watching the first season, and it's quite an intriguing hypothetical about how Internet has changed the society.

GSOgymrat

Hydra009

The Walking Dead

Simon is my new favorite character (after Gavin)

Hydra009

TWD 8x10 The Lost and the Plunderers

I dunno what happened in the writers' room, but they actually upped their game a lot.  We got some decent drama without chewing the scenery.  The plot was mostly sensible - events proceeding from prior events in a believable way.  And it was all in-character, too!  What a rare treat.  Has that nice classic TWD aroma.  My compliments to the chef.

Hydra009

TWD 8x11

Mildly disappointing, but it set up exciting future events.

Tara and company carried the idiot ball this time around.

I'm really liking Negan's more subdued performances his half-season.  That guy was a gloriously hammy magnificent bastard in the comics, but the tv audience is much less tolerant of that stuff.  C'est la vie.

I can't say I loved Gabriel's B-plot, but the ending was gloriously ironic.  Didn't see that coming, lol.

If TV Eugene doesn't do what comic Eugene did at around this point, I'm going to be very disappointed.

Mr.Obvious

Star Wars Rebels did something relatively few kid-shows do well, in my humble opinion.
It nailed the ending.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Hydra009

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on March 12, 2018, 03:27:07 PM
Star Wars Rebels did something relatively few kid-shows do well, in my humble opinion.
It nailed the ending.
I'm still a couple episodes behind, but it's in my queue!  I've heard good things.