News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

The Greatest Fighter Of All Time?

Started by Jmpty, July 17, 2014, 10:05:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shiranu

Quote from: Jmpty on July 17, 2014, 11:53:08 AM
Neither Jet Li, or Bruce Lee, were competitive fighters. Jet Li competed in weapons and kata, only for 3 years, but didn't spar. The Krav Maga guy competed as a wrestler, according to his bio, but nothing of his record exists that I know of.

Define competitive... Bruce Lee use to do street fighting in HK to earn money, and I would wager it was rather competitive...

(I get what you mean though of ranked competition)
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Solitary

Quote from: Jmpty on July 17, 2014, 11:53:08 AM
Neither Jet Li, or Bruce Lee, were competitive fighters. Jet Li competed in weapons and kata, only for 3 years, but didn't spar. The Krav Maga guy competed as a wrestler, according to his bio, but nothing of his record exists that I know of.
The question was who were the best fighters, not just in controlled sports. I can assure you a street fight where someone is trying to kill you is different than a sport fight with rules. Been there done both when younger. Bruce Lee was a street fighter. Even Ali when he had a knife pulled on him ran away as fast as he could. I know Tyson would not, because he was also a street fighter. A fight I had with a wrestler and weight lifter in high school---the last words I heard were: "I'm going to kill you." I always had fun fighting until then, but after that I took it serious, it was not fun. After that it was like every jack ass in town was starting fights with me to see if they could be the second best fighter in town. I avoid any confrontation if I can, and now I couldn't fight a little girl that knew how to fight. Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

SGOS

I've lived through too many "greatest fighters of all time" to be too much impressed.  I remember Muhammad Ali, Joe Frazer, Larry Holmes, and Ken Norton.  There was a short span of time, when some really great fighters appeared on the scene all at once and impressed the world greatly.  Anyone of them might have qualified as the "greatest fighter of all time" if they each had appeared separately.  And before my time there was Joe Louis, and a couple of "Rocky Something or Others" who I've heard called the greatest of all times.

Solitary

Quote from: JohnS on August 30, 2014, 10:22:33 PM
The only fight game I've ever followed, or cared about,  is the sweet science of boxing, which now is all but dead.  But the all-time greatest boxer pound for pound is an easy choice for me...the great Sugar Ray Robinson!
Agreed! Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.