What are you listening to? Part II (The Revengening)

Started by Agramon, February 15, 2013, 02:22:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hydra009

Just enjoying a song today.  Not related at all to politics or current events.

Luther Martini

Here is a video of Ellas McDaniel (Bo Diddley) performing on the Ed Sullivan Show in 1955.  Evidently, the producers wanted him to perform "Sixteen Tons" which had recently been recorded by Tennessee Ernie Ford, and was ranking high on the hit parade.  Instead Bo and his band performed "Bo Diddley", which is what he thought they came there to do.  Sullivan was livid, and vowed to never have Bo Diddley on his show again.

In a later years interview, Diddley explained that the whole thing was really some kind of miscommunication.  He also said that it didn't really bother him at the time that Sullivan declared him persona non grata, because he was making a living by driving a truck, and what Ed Sullivan said had no bearing on his real source of income.  Also, he laughed about them being warned that there will be no "wiggling" in the performance.  Well they did some of that too.  LOL! The man was definitely cool.

Also, here is one of my favorite videos of Bo Diddley performing live in 1973.  His stage presence was electrifying.  Wish I could have been there.

Cassia

Quote from: Luther Martini on August 16, 2022, 03:19:27 PM....Also, here is one of my favorite videos of Bo Diddley performing live in 1973.  His stage presence was electrifying.  Wish I could have been there.
Wow! dance moves... I went down a 70's live funk rabbit-hole the other day....
Ohio Players, James Brown, Brick, Brothers Johnson...
I distinctly remember "love hangover" by Diana Ross sorta signaled the end of funk. Disco never killed rock, but it sure put a damper on funk.

Luther Martini

Quote from: Cassia on August 16, 2022, 04:58:01 PMWow! dance moves... I went down a 70's live funk rabbit-hole the other day....
Ohio Players, James Brown, Brick, Brothers Johnson...
I distinctly remember "love hangover" by Diana Ross sorta signaled the end of funk. Disco never killed rock, but it sure put a damper on funk.

Yeah, Bo Diddley had some serious dance moves.  A 70's live funk rabbit hole .. that must have been fun.

Thanks to these ladies, funk is alive and well in Tokyo. 

Luther Martini

Here's one more ... bass that is.  What is hip? Tokyo Groove Jyoshi twin bass version live .

Shiranu

"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Cassia

Cassia

Can't go wrong with the ex Police drummer Copeland...

the_antithesis

Hydra009

Just got back from seeing Heilung in Asheville, NC

What a show!  It was a very theatrical folk metal concert.  It even had some fire juggling, which was surprising in a crowded auditorium.  And of course, about 12 people with shields and spears, like any other normal concert.

Basically, it was like Skyrim come to life for about 2 hours with the Companions taking center stage.  Definitely Hircine approved.

Luther Martini

Unbeliever

It doesn't get better than that!

❤️🧡💛💚💙💜🤎💓
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Luther Martini

Quote from: Unbeliever on September 03, 2022, 12:46:47 AMIt doesn't get better than that!

Yuja Wang - a child prodigy who has not only been able to evolve into one of the world's best classical pianists, but has done so in a manner that uniquely expresses her vibrant personality, her creative spirit, and love and appreciation of the music. The previous video was from a concert in Lucerne in 2018, when she was touring with the Berlin Philharmonic led by Kirill Petrenko.  Here is another video from the time of that same concert - an interview with Yuja.

Unbeliever

Yeah, I expect to listen to that Prokofiev piece at least once a day for the foreseeable future.
God Not Found

Unbeliever

I just heard a song on YouTube called - Barbara Feldon Sings "99" - that's pretty good. I didn't know she had such a career even before she was on Get Smart.
God Not Found