News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Windows 8.1 Problem

Started by SGOS, August 19, 2014, 12:08:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SGOS

Windows 8.1  represents an entirely new concept in marketing.  I bought a new laptop which comes without a lot of stuff.  No problem.  I tried installing Microsoft Works from my older computer because I've already bought that, but of course, it's not backwards compatible.  Microsoft wants to sell you Works again, and it's starting to look expensive.  You don't buy it for a one time price.  Now they want you to rent it month by month for $10 each month.  Of course you've got access to the cloud, which you may not want, not for $10 a month anyway. 

It looks to me like Windows 8.1 might be more about marketing new things or things you've already bought, but now at higher costs, and not so much about offering consumers helpful applications at reasonable prices.  I haven't looked into buying much new stuff, but there appears to be thousands of apps you can buy.  But unless this MS Works thing is unusual, it looks like computers may have gotten a lot more expensive.

If anyone had loaded MS Works onto Windows 8.1 so it's just there, and not something you pay for each month, I'd appreciate any information they might offer.  I keep hearing about Linux.  Is this what I need to do to avoid getting fleeced by Microsoft?

Hydra009

I switched over to open office, so can't help you there.

As for Microsoft price-gouging, I believe the expression is "rocks are rocky".

SGOS

Quote from: Hydra009 on August 19, 2014, 12:19:12 PM
I switched over to open office, so can't help you there.
Actually, you might.  I googled open office, and it looks like what I might want.  I just need a word processor, and spreadsheets.  In fact, the spreadsheets aren't a big deal, but I'm gunshy about downloading anything after that last little debacle with that solitaire game.  LOL  I take it that open office meets your needs?

Hydra009

Quote from: SGOS on August 19, 2014, 12:32:15 PM
Actually, you might.  I googled open office, and it looks like what I might want.  I just need a word processor, and spreadsheets.  In fact, the spreadsheets aren't a big deal, but I'm gunshy about downloading anything after that last little debacle with that solitaire game.  LOL  I take it that open office meets your needs?
All I really need is a basic word processor just a tad better than notepad.  So yeah, works fine.  Certainly beats shelling out every month.

PickelledEggs

The problem with your Windows 8.1 is that it's not Windows 7

Sent from your mom

Atheon

I prefer Libre Office, but Open Office is also great. Both open source office suites do everything MS Works does, and much more. They're much more like MS Office. And they can import Works files, and export files in most of the popular formats. And they're totally free, no strings attached.

Software "rental" might make sense for a business that needs the functionality of a certain kind of software for a short time, or if it turns out to be more economical after running the numbers, but I prefer paying once and not having to worry about yet another monthly charge.
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." - Seneca

PickelledEggs

^ This. All of it.

A lot of time, open source programs don't look too pretty, but holy shit there is a lot more features (and they are usually free).

SGOS

This is no longer about being cheap or frugal.  It's about fighting Microsoft.  Just not letting them have their way with us.

PickelledEggs

Quote from: SGOS on August 19, 2014, 02:34:56 PM
This is no longer about being cheap or frugal.  It's about fighting Microsoft.  Just not letting them have their way with us.
I totally understand that standpoint. I recommend going to linux, unless you absolutely need something that relies on a propitiatory OS. Among other things, like a windows key that can be about 100+ bucks (that I don't have to worry about because I have tech friend that gave me a key), windows is super vulnerable to viruses and being hacked from info predators, not to mention the spying that Microsoft may or may not be doing on their part....

I know I've said this before on here to some degree, but while Linux is still able to be attacked by a virus or hacker, it's a LOT less likely. Plus because it's open source, anyone can look at the code for the OS and say "Hey there is something that does [name sneaky thing here] in this software." which makes developers a lot less likely to try something sneaky.

SGOS

There is one thing and one thing only that I do (that I can think of anyway) that requires Windows.  It's Microsoft Flight Simulator.  In fact, it's the only reason I need a powerful gaming computer.  I'm not a big fan of Windows.  Never have been.  I don't like having to upgrade every two or three years, especially when I'm happy with an older format.  The only upgrade that ever seriously pleased me was Windows XP, and that's only because it replaced that turd of an OS, Windows Millennium, which crashed all the time.

PickelledEggs

you can try installing linux as a partition and seeing how Microsoft flight simulator runs through WINE. Some things work really well through wine and you'd never know the difference. I even got Warcraft 3 as well as Guild Wars 2 running flawlessly through WINE on linux.

Desdinova

Quote from: SGOS on August 19, 2014, 03:17:46 PM
There is one thing and one thing only that I do (that I can think of anyway) that requires Windows.  It's Microsoft Flight Simulator.  In fact, it's the only reason I need a powerful gaming computer.  I'm not a big fan of Windows.  Never have been.  I don't like having to upgrade every two or three years, especially when I'm happy with an older format.  The only upgrade that ever seriously pleased me was Windows XP, and that's only because it replaced that turd of an OS, Windows Millennium, which crashed all the time.

I imagine you could get around that with Linux.  There's a couple of emulators and converters that you could use.  WINE comes to mind first.
"How long will we be
Waiting, for your modern messiah
To take away all the hatred
That darkens the light in your eye"
  -Disturbed, Liberate

Desdinova

Eggs apparently beat me to it.  Go the the WineHQ site and see if there are any tests for MSFS.  Some programs won't run very well.
"How long will we be
  -Disturbed, Liberate

SGOS

The information I looked up was old enough that Wine has asked for information from users about the current Wine combined with FSX.  From what I read, Wine seemed to help some issues like long flights causing crashes to desktop.  There were other complaints, however.  Some sounding serious enough to negate the value.  Some issues were surmised to be caused by graphics cards other than Nvidia.  But the comments were all older than 10 years.

Desdinova

When was the latest MS flight simulator released?   I noticed some open source flight simulators out there for linux.  Maybe you could try one of those.
"How long will we be
  -Disturbed, Liberate