News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Windows 8.1 Problem

Started by SGOS, August 19, 2014, 12:08:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stromboli

I went to Google Open Office because I do most of my computing on Google, and Microsoft Word won't work on Google. For most uses a simple word processor is enough. And free has a nice ring to it.

Mike Cl

Quote from: stromboli on September 09, 2014, 09:56:06 PM
I went to Google Open Office because I do most of my computing on Google, and Microsoft Word won't work on Google. For most uses a simple word processor is enough. And free has a nice ring to it.

Two weeks ago I was looking at three programs--Google Docs; Open Office; and Kingsoft.  I went with Kingsoft.  The reviews suggested that Kingsoft out Microsofts Microsoft.  It is fully compatible with Microsoft Office and has a word processor, spreadsheet, and presentation program.  I have yet to use the word processor but the spreadsheet is a little better than excel, at least for me.  It is a Chinese company that apparently is taking on Microsoft.  The program has two versions--free and professional.  I downloaded free, of course.  About a year ago I had a computer built for me with Windows 8.1 and had it built for gaming.  8.1 sucked!!  I had so much trouble that I had it removed and went back to Win. 7.  Things work much better for me now.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Atheon

I had problem with tables being incompatible between Kingsoft and MS Office. Bad incompatibilities.... completely messed up the tables.

That was a year ago. Maybe the bugs have been fixed now.
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." - Seneca

Mike Cl

Quote from: Atheon on September 10, 2014, 12:19:35 AM
I had problem with tables being incompatible between Kingsoft and MS Office. Bad incompatibilities.... completely messed up the tables.

That was a year ago. Maybe the bugs have been fixed now.
So far I've had no problems.  I've been able to transfer tables from my old save disk and dragging tables off the net as well.  But I'm using Win. 7 and not 8.1, so that may (or may not) have something to do with it.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

SGOS

Quote from: Mike Cl on September 10, 2014, 12:54:06 AM
So far I've had no problems.  I've been able to transfer tables from my old save disk and dragging tables off the net as well.  But I'm using Win. 7 and not 8.1, so that may (or may not) have something to do with it.
There is a big difference between Windows 7 and 8, at least in look and feel.  I think 8 is glitchy, but that could be my computer too.

Mike Cl

When I was using 8.1 it was glitchy for me too.  Had problems running some games--so I took it off and had 7 put back on.  My computer has been much better since.

stromboli

I am definitely the dumbest person on here when it comes to tech stuff, but I've got to say I've learned more here than anywhere. These types of threads have helped me learn a great deal. When I came on here, I was using IE and didn't know how to do links or anything. Thanks for all of the stuff I've learned, and am still learning. And thanks for being tolerant with me.  :biggrin: