News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Distracting Popups

Started by SGOS, August 16, 2014, 08:53:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

_Xenu_

Quote from: SGOS on September 04, 2014, 10:41:00 AM
I googled this one.  Cool app.  But partly I'm fascinated by it because I just got bamboozled by the very ploy this thing is designed to thwart.  I do understand I need to pay more attention to my reading while downloading from now on.  I've become conditioned to just accepting a program's default settings, but that trust is now being exploited by malware companies.

Hint: Always look at advanced install options if you don't see anything to uncheck. These companies will install the scumware if you go with the express setup.
Click this link once a day to feed shelter animals. Its free.

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/clickToGive/ars/home

Atheon

Quote from: ApostateLois on September 09, 2014, 03:49:37 PM
I downloaded AdBlock mainly because I wanted to watch YouTube videos without being interrupted several times with stupid adverts. Longer vids can have five or six commercials in them! I only disable AdBlock on a few sites that I really like and I know they get their money from advertising, and the ads aren't too obtrusive.
Yeah, if a page has unobtrusive banner ads at the top, side or bottom which are NOT animated, then I'm fine with them. Any ad that moves, any ad that pops up, any ad in the middle of a page, in other words, any ad that gets in the way and distract me, I want GONE.
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." - Seneca

aitm

I thought Mac's were supposed to be good at preventing pop ups and viruses, but, mine recently is inudated. I can't even click on any button without being sent somewhere else, its crazy the machine is virtually locked down and unnavigatable. And since I am so tech savy, I think I might as well buy a new one instead.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Hydra009

Quote from: aitm on September 12, 2014, 10:24:28 AM
I thought Mac's were supposed to be good at preventing pop ups and viruses, but, mine recently is inudated. I can't even click on any button without being sent somewhere else, its crazy the machine is virtually locked down and unnavigatable. And since I am so tech savy, I think I might as well buy a new one instead.
Macs are not by default well protected from malware.  Malware is written to target popular OSes.  For a long time, that was mostly Windows OSes.  But given the surge of Apple devices, malware is increasingly being written to target them.

If I were you, I'd look into getting someone to look at your device before trashing it.

DunkleSeele

Quote from: Hydra009 on September 12, 2014, 10:41:37 AM
Macs are not by default well protected from malware.  Malware is written to target popular OSes.  For a long time, that was mostly Windows OSes.  But given the surge of Apple devices, malware is increasingly being written to target them.

If I were you, I'd look into getting someone to look at your device before trashing it.
Not to mention that some malware is actually OS-independent, as they use the browser's scripting capabilities.

Anyway, Hydra is right: get someone to look at it.

Actually, a Mac should be tossed out of the window anyway...