What are your feelings on the death penalty?

Started by Alaric I, February 22, 2013, 01:06:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alaric I

This is a controversial debate to say the least.  I think people that take other's lives should be removed this world.  DDespicable acts deserve harsh punishment.

Plu

QuoteI think people that take other's lives should be removed this world.

I see an infinite cycle here ;) Needs more nuance.

That said; I'm in the favor of a death penalty under certain conditions. Mostly for people who add nothing to society anyway.

Alaric I

Quote from: "Plu"
QuoteI think people that take other's lives should be removed this world.

I see an infinite cycle here ;) Needs more nuance.

I see.... maybe I chose porrly written words?

QuoteThat said; I'm in the favor of a death penalty under certain conditions. Mostly for people who add nothing to society anyway.

I agree to a point.  I wouldn't send people that just leech off of society to the gas chamber, I would however keep them from leeching so they either start to add to society or take themselves off the planet.

Plu

The problem with not letting them leech is that they'll probably respond by resorting to crime. If it weren't for that, I'd be all for it.

Alaric I

Quote from: "Plu"The problem with not letting them leech is that they'll probably respond by resorting to crime. If it weren't for that, I'd be all for it.

Depends on how you handle it.  Lock them in a prison where they can do things to help society and then let them out. If they refuse, don't.  Give them some land to farm and some animals to slaughter so they can get their own food.  The issue will work itself out eventually.

Aroura33

There is no reason for the death penalty except to exact revenge....so no reason at all.

Even for those who rape and murder, they would be more use alive (in prison) to study the reasons why they did what they did, the general psychology of sociopaths or whatever is wrong with said individual, etc, than to kill them.

Killing lowers the entirety of the society that allows it.  It means we let the whole biblical/emotional eye for an eye thing rule, instead of reason or logic.

It costs less to keep a prisoner for life than to kill them.  Even if we reformed the system so this was no longer true, they would still be of more use to science and society alive than dead.  You get them all dead eventually, anyway, for studying the corpse/brain.
"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory.  LLAP"
Leonard Nimoy

Plu

I'd consider scientific study to be an acceptable alternative, but most people are more squeemish about human test subjects than they are at just executing them for some reason.

Alaric I

Quote from: "Aroura33"There is no reason for the death penalty except to exact revenge....so no reason at all.

Even for those who rape and murder, they would be more use alive (in prison) to study the reasons why they did what they did, the general psychology of sociopaths or whatever is wrong with said individual, etc, than to kill them.

Acceptable, but I would use a handful of cases vs all the ones that are out there.

QuoteIt costs less to keep a prisoner for life than to kill them.  Even if we reformed the system so this was no longer true, they would still be of more use to science and society alive than dead.  You get them all dead eventually, anyway, for studying the corpse/brain.

Maybe using the current system, but bullets are cheap.

Plu

Also, there's a few people here who see the death penalty as a revenge. I see it more as a form of waste disposal tbh. It's just a way of keeping society a bit safer. Life in prison does about the same, except there's a chance they'll escape.
(And they suffer longer, but that's a different discussion I suppose)

Brian37

Not because we cant point the obvious. Hitler and Mussolini deserved it. But, when it comes to the everyday accused we are not talking about people with money to defend themselves. In the west the state has much more resources to accuse than an average defendant has to defend themselves with.
"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers." Obama
Poetry By Brian37 Like my poetry on Facebook Under BrianJames Rational Poet and also at twitter under Brianrrs37

stromboli

There is more than ample evidence that the death penalty is a bad idea.

Fidel_Castronaut

Can't see how the death penalty can be justified, I'm against it.

If it was a deterrent, then countries that have it would have the lowest crime rates in the world (owing to the fact that its the 'ultimate' punishment). I don't see the figures reflecting that.
lol, marquee. HTML ROOLZ!

Brian37

Quote from: "Alaric I"This is a controversial debate to say the least.  I think people that take other's lives should be removed this world.  DDespicable acts deserve harsh punishment.

Sounds nice on paper, but you do know that plenty of people in history ARE falsely accused of crimes they didn't commit.
"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers." Obama
Poetry By Brian37 Like my poetry on Facebook Under BrianJames Rational Poet and also at twitter under Brianrrs37

BarkAtTheMoon

I more agree with psychological testing in the case of serial killers and mass murderers, but some, and I'd wager to guess most, people who commit violent crimes are just POS assholes that don't give a fuck about other people or the consequences of their actions. They aren't worth much of anything, and the end of their continued existence doesn't bother me at all. Quite frankly, life without the possibility of parole seems a much more brutal punishment to me.

My son's mom works in child mental health and even in the field, quite a large portion of her clients are simply assholes and don't have any real psychological disorders, though a few of the ones that do are real doozies.

QuoteIt costs less to keep a prisoner for life than to kill them.
That is such a misleading statistic even if were definitively true, which doesn't seem to be without some controversy. The reason is because of the legal costs of capital cases and life without parole cases are still quite expensive.

All that being said, I just don't care that much about death penalty debate anymore. Doesn't really bother me seeing worthless dangerous assholes permanently removed from existence, but I wouldn't fight against if death penalty was abolished.
"When you landed on the moon, that was the point when God should have come up and said hello. Because if you invent some creatures and you put them on the blue one and they make it to the grey one, then you fucking turn up and say, 'Well done.' It's just a polite thing to do." - Eddie Izzard

aitm

If we demand the elimination of firearms to save the life of people, why not off the few who have proven no objections to murdering? Murders have escaped and killed again, murders have been accidently released and killed again. Cost aside, ( and I agree it should be much cheaper) my issue with the DP is that the criteria to deserve it must be more stringent. Certain objections MUST be qualified in order to merit the DP. There must be absolute certainty. Then off away.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust