News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

The Islamic State

Started by PickelledEggs, August 08, 2014, 10:04:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PickelledEggs

When I watched this.... I felt a feeling I didn't even expect. Not fright or anger.... but sad. I felt sad for them... that they have such fear and hate for the things they do and in the way they do. It's really upsetting to see how it happens over there and it's upsetting to see it happen with religion here.

https://news.vice.com/video/the-islamic-state-part-2

Hijiri Byakuren

I won't even read about it anymore. It's just too horrible.
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

doorknob

I feel sorry the water supply is being cut off. I wouldn't do that even to a Muslim I disagreed with. The sad thing is that would they say or do the same for me?

I get sick of watching this type of news though because there's not much I can do about it. 

PickelledEggs

Quote from: Hijiri Byakuren on August 08, 2014, 10:12:25 PM
I won't even read about it anymore. It's just too horrible.
My pastafarian friend shared this on facebook. I was ready to be pissed off and frustrated like I usually am at these things, but when I saw the video.... it's just.... fuck.

Not to mention that when I watched it, I was thinking of all the parallels that religion in the western culture has with it (mostly xtians and their "warriors of god")

It just makes me sad. I kind of wish I hadn't watched it because of how sad it made me, but at the same time, I'm glad I watched it because it made me re-realize what causes my distaste for religion: all the horrible hate and fear and mindless violence it ingrains in people at a young age and for the rest of their life

This is mildly off topic, but not really... I just wish all this war and fighting could stop. All this nationalism and religious pride.... it's going to get us nowhere but dead. There has to be something I can do to help and I've really been thinking hard about doing a series of artwork dealing with religion and belief.

Solitary

In the Middle East this has been going on for 2,000+ years. We are animals first, and intelligent second. We are only free, when every individual can be one individual without repercussion from the masses. I wish I could be as brave as Gandhi, but I don't know if he was brave or stupid. I know I'm not a Christian, and I will not turn the other cheek when push comes to shove.  Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

PickelledEggs

Quote from: Solitary on August 11, 2014, 04:05:22 PM
but I don't know if he was brave or stupid
I think it was a mix.... but sometimes you have to be

In the words of Hitchens "There can be no progress without head-on confrontation" I believe that statement whole-heartedly and I think in a way Ghandi was doing just that; blatant confrontation.

josephpalazzo

WARNING: GRAPHIC CONTENT

MASS EXECUTIONS BY ISIS

If the mods think this is too horrific, just remove it.

PickelledEggs

Quote from: josephpalazzo on August 12, 2014, 12:02:46 PM

MASS EXECUTIONS BY ISIS

You're fine. You gave us a warning and it's relevant to the thread.

I'm not going to watch it though. The video preview is already too graphic for me...

Solitary

Unless people see this shit instead of burying their heads in sand, it will keep happening. Only ignorance, religion, and politics can take away a persons humanity (empathy) to allow this to happen. Religion of peace my ass!  :eek:  :sad: And yet atheists are the cause of all the problems in the world.  :oak: Solitary

josephpalazzo

MASS EXECUTIONS BY ISIS

Quote from: PickelledEggs on August 12, 2014, 12:09:09 PM

You're fine. You gave us a warning and it's relevant to the thread.

I'm not going to watch it though. The video preview is already too graphic for me...

I thought there would be a whole lot of people shocked by this video. Apparently not. Have we become too jaded?

GrinningYMIR

After years of seeing stuff like this, whether its the Nazi's killing the jews, Khmer Rouge mass exterminating its people, the Russians executing POWS in both Eastern Europe and Afghanistan, and even Americans and English killing Vietnamese and German men at will, the mass executions of ISIS are neither surprising, nor as impactful as they once would have been.

No, we're not jaded, its just imagery that has become all too prevalent in the modern world.
"Human history is a litany of blood shed over differing ideals of rulership and afterlife"<br /><br />Governor of the 32nd Province of the New Lunar Republic. Luna Nobis Custodit

PickelledEggs

Quote from: josephpalazzo on August 12, 2014, 01:39:50 PM

I thought there would be a whole lot of people shocked by this video. Apparently not. Have we become too jaded?
It's hard to be shocked by something we already are aware of. But when someone already knows the horrible nature of something like that there is no surprise.

So am I shocked? No. I don't think anyone can be shocked by too many things anymore. Shock is just a dramatic way of saying surprised... It is still no less sickening though.

josephpalazzo

Quote from: PickelledEggs on August 12, 2014, 02:57:45 PM
It's hard to be shocked by something we already are aware of. But when someone already knows the horrible nature of something like that there is no surprise.

So am I shocked? No. I don't think anyone can be shocked by too many things anymore. Shock is just a dramatic way of saying surprised... It is still no less sickening though.

Phew, for a moment I thought I was the only one disgusted by that video?!?

Solitary

Of course we are disgusted by that video, it is a result of ignorance and religion in action. Solitary

StupidWiz

I heard they're beheading children as well. I saw a picture of a headless small girl in her cute skirt. I hope it's not true, hope it's just a fake photo... :'(
... To teach superstitions as truths is the most terrible thing. The child mind accepts and believes them, and only through great pain and perhaps tragedy can they be in after years relieved of them. - Hypatia