News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Streaming: the pirate's new game.

Started by Jutter, August 18, 2014, 12:24:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jutter

Downloading is so out of style. Streaming's where it's at these days. Oh and ARRR MATEY! Grooveshark for your music needs... Popcorn Time for movies and tv series...

I can remember those days of old, when you taped this L.P. for me, if I taped that L.P. for you, and that's how we'd supplement our music collection, because our love of music was bigger than our wallet. When VCR came along, movies on TV got taped. Because the love of movies is bigger than the wallet. And not much has changed over the years. i still buy things (like the Bond 007 blue-ray box, and Seasic Steve albums) and I still visit the movietheatre several times a year... but I also still supplement because...

The obvious question: Is that a crime? To have a love of music and movies, that's bigger than the wallet shouldn't be, but the supplementing...
The perhaps less obvious question is: would depriving me of the forbidden fruit make money grow on trees? Would I have bought what I didn't get the chance to see or hear for free?
The comparison between 'piracy' and theft has always been a poor one in my opinion, same as copying poorly resembles removal. At best it could be seen as a form of unfair competition, but only to the degree that you or I would've bought more if there were no alternative.

No religion for me thank you very much; I 'm full of shit enough as it is.

Being flabbergasted about existence never made anyone disappear in a poof of flabbergas, so nevermind why we're here. We ARE here.

SGOS

Never heard of popcorn time.   How's the quality?  How's the selection of offerings?

Jason78

Quote from: Jutter on August 18, 2014, 12:24:48 PM
The obvious question: Is that a crime?

Yes.  Please present yourself to your nearest FBI Hollywood re-education centre.
Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato

Hydra009

Quote from: Jutter on August 18, 2014, 12:24:48 PMDownloading is so out of style. Streaming's where it's at these days.
It's to be expected.  The industry and their ISPs started targetting torrenting so people moved to other avenues.

Jutter

Quote from: SGOS on August 18, 2014, 01:03:51 PM
Never heard of popcorn time.   How's the quality?  How's the selection of offerings?
Good quality. Mainly dvd or even blue-ray rips, but I've encountered a camrecording. The selection is insane and includes all but the most recent stuff.
No religion for me thank you very much; I 'm full of shit enough as it is.

Being flabbergasted about existence never made anyone disappear in a poof of flabbergas, so nevermind why we're here. We ARE here.

PickelledEggs

Pshhh. I download all my shit from usenet

Sent from your mom

SGOS

I was reading yesterday that Hollywood has filed suit against DVDfab, the largest selling blu ray copying software company in the world, and apparently won a judge's opinion.  According to the article, which I'm a bit skeptical about, this will "drive DVDfab off the internet."  The company is located in China, so it may not be affected by this decision world wide.

While copying blu ray disks is probably done outside the law for the purpose of home piracy, there are reasons why users should be able to copy blu ray disks.  They do fail from time to time.  At least that is a valid reason to copy disks, although I admit, probably not the way copy software is most often used.

I'm not sure how I feel about this decision, because it may be unfair to some consumers, and I'm not sure if it will stand.  Probably, it would be most unfair to DVDfab.  It's probably a matter of which company has the most clout over the political system.

I remember when blu ray was being discussed before it hit the market.  I remember reading how this would solve the problem of piracy, like blu ray had some kind of magic properties not inherent in DVD.  Less than a year after blu ray hit the shelves, DVDfab was born and blu ray was no longer the answer to Hollyood's concerns over piracy.