News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Oh- the Fear - The horror

Started by WitchSabrina, February 22, 2013, 10:31:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stromboli

These types of things are always fear based. Fear that a new idea might cause young minds to stray from their beliefs. They are afraid of new ideas.

WitchSabrina

Quote from: "stromboli"Inner peace and increased flexibility. The horror!

Cause........yep ......... leads to laying curses and eating baby toes Every single time.  
I'd know.  Yep, started out innocently being fascinated by crystals and rocks of any kind and touching grass, leaves and herbs...... then *sparkle* BAM *sparkle*... I was turning peeps into toads at will.  Power is a scary thing.

(You have NO idea how many family members are missing and the rise in toad population for the state of TN)

buwaaahaaa
I am currently experiencing life at several WTFs per hour.

Warhorse

Quote from: "SGOS"Once again, the specter of Christian ignorance rears it's ugly head.

Just as it has since its invention. I was looking for a magazine to submit a short story to the other day and came across an English (UK) magazine called Dark Places. In the writer guidelines there was one rule that simultaneously pissed me off and made me laugh. That rule was: "Christianity shall not be portrayed negatively in any story submitted."
Crazy shit!! I couldn't help myself, so I emailed the editor and told him what a fanatical nutsack he is.

commonsense822

Alright so I decided to take a look for myself, and I'm voting down the yoga.

So first there is the Jois Foundation website:
//http://kpjoisfoundation.org/
Only a single page, seemed pretty secular, although I was still kind of unsure.  Just the way some of the things on there were stated made me doubtful.

So I visited the Jois Yoga site:
//http://joisyoga.com/
And there I found some things that makes me lean towards the, 'get the yoga out of the schools' side.

Under their "Story" section:
QuoteBut Jois Yoga is more than just a collection of shalas. It is also an instrument of outreach, through the newly formed Jois Yoga Foundation, which was created to bring the Pattabhi Jois philosophy to youths in underserved communities. The Jois Yoga Foundation is currently partnered with two schools, one in Virginia and one and Kenya, and intends to bring Ashtanga instruction to upwards of 7,000 youths by midsummer 2012, with much more ambitious outreach goals on the horizon.

Bringing the "philosophy" of their teacher to youths sounds fishy.  And to top it off they are partnering in schools in poorer areas that are more likely to become indoctrinated like Kenya.......and Virginia.  There is also:
QuoteThrough these three integrated efforts–instruction, outreach, and socially conscious apparel–Jois Yoga pursues its mission, to bring the philosophy, teachings, and values of Sri K. Pattabhi Jois to as many people as it is able to reach.

Proselytizing?  Maybe....let's continue.  You may have noticed that they mentioned "socially conscious apparel."  They were talking about their own line of apparel:
QuoteAdditionally, Jois Yoga is a spiritually conscious line of clothing, created in keeping with the Jois philosophy of non-violence and sustainability. Jois Yoga apparel is designed to allow physical flexibility, with the intention of inspiring spiritual flexibility as well. Proceeds from the apparel boutiques will go to the Jois Yoga Foundation.

Sounds a little like some Mormon magic underwear with their apparel that inspires spirituality, and the proceeds go to their foundation.  Could this be tithing?

Well at least there's no weird rituals or anything like that.  Well.....unless you count them abstaining from practice during Moon Days.  What?  I forgot to mention Moon Days?.... aw shit son you don't know what you're missing!
//http://joisyoga.com/practice/moon-days/
QuoteIt has always been the tradition in Ashtanga Yoga to rest from asana practice on new and full moon days (tithis). When asked why we shouldn't practice on these days, Guruji was fond of saying, "Two 'plantets' [grahas] one place, very dangerous." What is meant by this is that on these days, the sun and the moon are in a line relative to the position of the earth. Consequently, their gravitational forces are all combined, and thus the effect of the 'plantets' more pronounced. One definitive effect of this is that the ocean's tides are higher and lower on these days. When ?sana practice is done daily, rest days are important for regeneration; and the extra biweekly 'moon day' comes as a welcomed respite.

And don't worry if you think their Moon Days might be different from the other Ahstanga schools, because:
QuoteWe use the Indian method of calculation

SGOS

Quote from: "Warhorse"
Quote from: "SGOS"Once again, the specter of Christian ignorance rears it's ugly head.
In the writer guidelines there was one rule that simultaneously pissed me off and made me laugh. That rule was: "Christianity shall not be portrayed negatively in any story submitted."
Hmmm.  That's one sided.

Aupmanyav

I am all for Yoga, but why a particularly private kind of Yoga (ashtanga)? This is a family enterprise of the Joises.
"Brahma Satyam Jagan-mithya" (Brahman is the truth, the observed is an illusion)
"Sarve Khalu Idam Brahma" (All this here is Brahman)

Mathias

"socially conscious apparel"

WTF is that???
"There is no logic in the existence of any god".
Myself.

WitchSabrina

Quote from: "commonsense822"Alright so I decided to take a look for myself, and I'm voting down the yoga.

So first there is the Jois Foundation website:
//http://kpjoisfoundation.org/
Only a single page, seemed pretty secular, although I was still kind of unsure.  Just the way some of the things on there were stated made me doubtful.

So I visited the Jois Yoga site:
//http://joisyoga.com/
And there I found some things that makes me lean towards the, 'get the yoga out of the schools' side.

Under their "Story" section:
QuoteBut Jois Yoga is more than just a collection of shalas. It is also an instrument of outreach, through the newly formed Jois Yoga Foundation, which was created to bring the Pattabhi Jois philosophy to youths in underserved communities. The Jois Yoga Foundation is currently partnered with two schools, one in Virginia and one and Kenya, and intends to bring Ashtanga instruction to upwards of 7,000 youths by midsummer 2012, with much more ambitious outreach goals on the horizon.

Bringing the "philosophy" of their teacher to youths sounds fishy.  And to top it off they are partnering in schools in poorer areas that are more likely to become indoctrinated like Kenya.......and Virginia.  There is also:
QuoteThrough these three integrated efforts–instruction, outreach, and socially conscious apparel–Jois Yoga pursues its mission, to bring the philosophy, teachings, and values of Sri K. Pattabhi Jois to as many people as it is able to reach.

Proselytizing?  Maybe....let's continue.  You may have noticed that they mentioned "socially conscious apparel."  They were talking about their own line of apparel:
QuoteAdditionally, Jois Yoga is a spiritually conscious line of clothing, created in keeping with the Jois philosophy of non-violence and sustainability. Jois Yoga apparel is designed to allow physical flexibility, with the intention of inspiring spiritual flexibility as well. Proceeds from the apparel boutiques will go to the Jois Yoga Foundation.

Sounds a little like some Mormon magic underwear with their apparel that inspires spirituality, and the proceeds go to their foundation.  Could this be tithing?

Well at least there's no weird rituals or anything like that.  Well.....unless you count them abstaining from practice during Moon Days.  What?  I forgot to mention Moon Days?.... aw shit son you don't know what you're missing!
//http://joisyoga.com/practice/moon-days/
QuoteIt has always been the tradition in Ashtanga Yoga to rest from asana practice on new and full moon days (tithis). When asked why we shouldn't practice on these days, Guruji was fond of saying, "Two 'plantets' [grahas] one place, very dangerous." What is meant by this is that on these days, the sun and the moon are in a line relative to the position of the earth. Consequently, their gravitational forces are all combined, and thus the effect of the 'plantets' more pronounced. One definitive effect of this is that the ocean's tides are higher and lower on these days. When ?sana practice is done daily, rest days are important for regeneration; and the extra biweekly 'moon day' comes as a welcomed respite.

And don't worry if you think their Moon Days might be different from the other Ahstanga schools, because:
QuoteWe use the Indian method of calculation

Well - all that does sound a little fucked up.  Thanks CS.  
Weird.
 :shock:

You'd have thought the journalist looking into this would have tackled research as you have?  I read several articles about this and didn't read anywhere what you found.
Weird. More.
I am currently experiencing life at several WTFs per hour.

NitzWalsh

Quote from: "Mathias""socially conscious apparel"

WTF is that???

Typically that means clothing that wasn't produced in sweatshops or by kids in third world countries. So, no Walmart.
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
~ Arthur C. Clarke

commonsense822

We used to have a yoga class back in my high school, but it was just taught by one of the gym teachers that had an interest in yoga.  Ultimately I don't think there is anything wrong with teaching straight up yoga to kids, but this foundation seems like it may possibly have its own motives.  

But the Christian protestors are still as bat shit crazy as usual.

ApostateLois

"They're not just teaching physical poses, they're teaching children how to think and how to make decisions," Ms. Eady said. "They're teaching children how to meditate and how to look within for peace and for comfort."

What, exactly, is wrong with that? If everyone learned how to do this, there would be far less need for psychologists, therapists, and drugs for dealing with depression, anxiety, ADHD, and the host of other mental illnesses afflicting Americans these days. Maybe they could be helped with yoga and meditation. But of course, it's not in your therapist's best interests to recommend yoga to you--not when you're paying him $90 an hour to tell you what's wrong with you.

Oh, and let's discuss how well prayer works at calming a child's fears, helping her to think and make better decisions, and how to find solutions to her problems. Oh, right, IT DOESN'T DO ANY OF THESE THINGS AT ALL. I am so sick of Christian fucktards. I wish they would all stab themselves in the head with crucifixes and rid the world of their stupidity.
"Now we see through a glass dumbly." ~Crow, MST3K #903, "Puma Man"

AllPurposeAtheist

Teaching kids to think for themselves and find peace and inner confort? THOSE BASTARDS! HOW DARE THEY?

I for one demand little frightened robots.. :evil:
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Thumpalumpacus

Yeah, I'd be suspicious of this, myself, given the funding.

Of course, these parents should complain to the school-board first, rather than lawyer up.  Looks to me like both sides are being a little disingenuous.
<insert witty aphorism here>

ApostateLois

Quote...in which physical actions are inextricable from the spiritual beliefs underlying them

Yep.

[youtube:35iv9aja]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5lvU-DislkI[/youtube:35iv9aja]
"Now we see through a glass dumbly." ~Crow, MST3K #903, "Puma Man"

Aupmanyav

This is much better than what a shaman can do in India. I appreciate Mr. Hinn's magic, and of course, God's power.
"Brahma Satyam Jagan-mithya" (Brahman is the truth, the observed is an illusion)
"Sarve Khalu Idam Brahma" (All this here is Brahman)