Hydra009

Whew!  I was worried for a second.

Dark Lightning

Quote from: Hydra009 on February 07, 2023, 09:51:23 AM

Whew!  I was worried for a second.

They're using sails instead of diesel engines then, right? 🙄

Gawdzilla Sama

No, just fewer slaves to row the ships.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Dark Lightning

^ Now, that gives a warm fuzzy! 🤦�♂️

Gawdzilla Sama

We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Hydra009

Quote from: Dark Lightning on February 07, 2023, 01:45:26 PM^ Now, that gives a warm fuzzy! 🤦�♂️
🎵 Imagine all the people livin' for today..." 🎵

Blackleaf

"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Dark Lightning

Quote from: Blackleaf on February 07, 2023, 03:42:52 PMSource: The Babylon Bee

It's parody.

I did kind of wonder. Didn't see the Bee citation.

Shiranu

Quote from: Hydra009 on February 05, 2023, 10:05:42 PM
I actually think that's a large reason I cant get into GoW (and the newer Assassin's Creed) - I barely tolerated it with the Witcher and only because the world is engaging from the first minute.

I hate to bring up Ghost of Tsushima yet again (no I dont), but that's one thing the game got so right - there isn't a lot of RPG elements despite having quite a few skills to choose from and armor having different stats; you didn't "need" these things, they just made the way you wanted to play a bit easier - you can ignore it and be perfectly fine as well.

I despise with a ****ing passion having to hit a mob 28 times to get it's health bar halfway down, acting like I slapped it across the face instead of just juggled it in the air for 5 seconds with an axe before hitting it 20 yards like a baseball.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Hydra009

Quote from: Shiranu on February 07, 2023, 04:09:42 PMI despise with a ****ing passion having to hit a mob 28 times to get it's health bar halfway down, acting like I slapped it across the face instead of just juggled it in the air for 5 seconds with an axe before hitting it 20 yards like a baseball.
That drives me crazy, too.  Bullet sponges.  Inflated time-to-kill.  I've learned to recognize this as a kludged "fix" for bad game design.

Sometimes, the devs didn't have enough time to build a lot of interesting, engaging content in their game and are afraid of people running out of content and quitting the game.  The solution?  Make progression very, very, very slow by making mobs take much longer to kill.

World of Warcraft did a lot of this shortly after release.  Not so much the inflated HP, but just keeping the player bogged down with as much tedium as possible - needing to take a break after combat, sprawling cities that require lots and lots of time for players to get what they want (like skill rank up, that stuff can and should be automatic), very time-consuming fast travel (groups love it), etc.  Basically, they made it so as much time as possible in the game was spent not playing the game - not fighting, not exploring, not interacting with other players.

My brother was playing some Japanese action RPG and he excitedly told me that he found a new item that let him do "2 full HP bars of damage"!  (of course without telling me how many HP bars the enemies normally have)  I found that less exciting and more just kinda sad.  Because unless the enemy is some boss character or something, no enemy should have multiple HP bars, that's just a way to disguise bullet-sponginess.  If I showed him how much damage he's really doing with a normal HP bar, it would be agonizingly slow.

Hydra009

*takes notes as I maneuver around quicksand, shoo away conspicuous and pushy drug dealers near an elementary school, check under my car for a car bomb (a bomb is a spherical black object about 2 feet in diameter with a wick at the top), and insist that the bank camera zoom into into the perp's sunglasses reflection which reveals a makeup mirror which contains the reflection of the license plate of the getaway car*