News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Post your funny pictures here!!! part Deux

Started by Nam, July 26, 2014, 08:19:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PopeyesPappy

Quote from: Hydra009 on November 20, 2021, 10:08:40 AM
Poverty is indeed part of the problem, but not the whole of it.  Problems can have more than one cause, obviously.

By and large, poverty and gun violence are correlated among countries, but there are exceptions.  The US is certainly unusual in that it ranks fairly high in gun homicide rate (17th, more akin to South American countries than Western Europe or Canada) but somewhat low in poverty rate (106th).  Could another factor be at work here?

Blaming it all on poverty - which sounds convincing, so no doubt some may find it convincing for this reason alone and not think about it too much - conveniently ignores the ease of access of firearms and comparatively little oversight (as I subtly pointed out earlier, there is a national registry required for car owners, but to my knowledge, no such registry exists for gun buyers)

If you would like me to accept that people would kill each other anyway and that gun policy has nothing to do with homicide rate (a stance the gun lobby has certainly invested large sums of money in, since such a mentality absolves them in any deaths and doesn't threaten arms sales), I would very much like to hear your thoughts on Australia's experience with the same problem:
Source:  https://www.mja.com.au/journal/2021/215/9/gun-violence-australia-2002-2016-cohort-study

In this scenario, do you think the homicide rate stayed the same from year to year, since people would "just find new ways to kill one another"?  Let's find out.

[spoiler]https://www.aic.gov.au/statistics/homicide[/spoiler]

I've shared the data on what I'm about to say on this forum before so I'm not going to bother with digging it up and doing it again, but there is an important piece to this that you are missing.

In the 20ish year period after Port Arthur homicide rates in the US declined as fast as they did in Australia. This happened during a period when gun laws were become less not more restrictive in the US so there obviously something more at play here than just the availability of guns. The other thing to keep in mind is during that period the one demographic that bucked the trend, keeping US homicide rates in the US from falling even further, was inner city young black males. A demographic that makes up less than 3% of the US population but accounts for about 40ish% of all gun homicides here. 
Save a life. Adopt a Greyhound.

Shiranu

QuoteIf you would like me to accept that people would kill each other anyway and that gun policy has nothing to do with homicide rate (a stance the gun lobby has certainly invested large sums of money in, since such a mentality absolves them in any deaths and doesn't threaten arms sales), I would very much like to hear your thoughts on Australia's experience with the same problem:

I'm not saying it doesn't have anything to do with homicide rate, I'm say that it doesn't have enough to do with homicide rate to warrant taking away people's rights.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

the_antithesis

Quote from: Blackleaf on October 27, 2021, 12:26:30 PMIt was obviously meant as a joke, but some people apparently took it seriously and tried it. lol

What's wrong with this generation in a nutshell.

Probably all generations.

Hydra009

Quote from: Shiranu on November 20, 2021, 04:54:54 PMI'm not saying it doesn't have anything to do with homicide rate, I'm say that it doesn't have enough to do with homicide rate to warrant taking away people's rights.
I must've have taken you too literally, I guess.

Anyways, it's not worth bogging down the funny pictures thread with this stuff.

Hydra009

Hydra009

So it turns out that illiteracy could cure my back aches.  Worth a shot, I guess.

Hydra009

I was *this* close to misclicking and putting it in the Paintings to Muse about thread.  :P

drunkenshoe

"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Blackleaf

"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

drunkenshoe

Does it taste that bad or is it the ingredients?
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

aitm

Quote from: drunkenshoe on November 23, 2021, 07:02:11 AM
Does it taste that bad or is it the ingredients?

Depends on who you ask. I think Hydras being a little uppity…😏
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

drunkenshoe

Quote from: aitm on November 23, 2021, 07:59:33 AM
Depends on who you ask. I think Hydras being a little uppity…😏

Naah, he can't be. I've seen the stuff he ate in lockdown. :pp

Mike Cl

Quote from: Hydra009 on November 22, 2021, 11:04:39 PM

That's how I drink any and all beer. :))  I have tasted beer from around this country, in central Europe and Sweden.  All taste like elephant piss. If I want to get plastered I drink straight Southern Comfort or bourbon.  But I haven't done that for over 30 years.  I settle for a glass or two of wine these days.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?