Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Post your funny pictures here!!! part Deux

Started by Nam, July 26, 2014, 08:19:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hydra009

Mike Cl

Quote from: drunkenshoe on January 04, 2022, 01:57:21 PM
I've never seen any Borat movies. I haven't lost anything, have I?
Can't say.  I've not seen them either. :))
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Gawdzilla Sama

"Pandorans hear that Pluto is not a planet."

We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Blackleaf

"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

PopeyesPappy

Save a life. Adopt a Greyhound.

drunkenshoe

Quote from: Hydra009 on January 04, 2022, 02:45:34 PM

Really?

E: LOL, that's an honest question. I always thought that Western people found it funny because it's too foreign and awkward for them.
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Hydra009

I dunno why other people liked it, but I love the wacky hijinks of a guy with antiquated beliefs and a very low familiarity with US culture.  And the culture shock, both on his part and Americans he's talking to, is funny as hell.  And of course, there's the not-so-subtle critique of American culture/politics.  It works on several levels.

I dunno why so many people here don't have at least a passing familiarity with a movie that took the world by storm.  You could literally live under a rock and still hear "my wiiiiife" for months on end.  Yet I reference it here and it's like I'm talking about the battle of ten kings.

GSOgymrat

Quote from: Hydra009 on January 05, 2022, 09:34:50 AMYou  could literally live under a rock and still hear "my wife" for months on end.

Never saw Borat.

Dark Lightning

Never saw him either. If what he did was before October 2014, I'd have no idea. I was working, burning the candle at 4 ends. One can do that by breaking the candle in half and lighting the stubs. I retired in 2014, but I don't go to movies much (last time was when the new Robin Hood movie came out) or watch much TV.

drunkenshoe

Quote from: Hydra009 on January 05, 2022, 09:34:50 AM
I dunno why other people liked it, but I love the wacky hijinks of a guy with antiquated beliefs and a very low familiarity with US culture.  And the culture shock, both on his part and Americans he's talking to, is funny as hell.  And of course, there's the not-so-subtle critique of American culture/politics.  It works on several levels.

I dunno why so many people here don't have at least a passing familiarity with a movie that took the world by storm.  You could literally live under a rock and still hear "my wiiiiife" for months on end.  Yet I reference it here and it's like I'm talking about the battle of ten kings.

Hmm...ok. Thanks. I don't particularly remember "my wiiife", but I certainly remember how it captured global attention.
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Hydra009

Quote from: GSOgymrat on January 05, 2022, 09:44:27 AMNever saw Borat.
*seriously considers buying yall Redbox gift cards for Christmas*

Gawdzilla Sama

We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

the_antithesis

Quote from: Hydra009 on January 05, 2022, 09:34:50 AM

So it's from the first movie? I don't remember that even being a thing. I remember "High five!" and "One time he break cage and then we all have good laugh." "NOOOOOOT!"

the_antithesis

Quote from: drunkenshoe on January 04, 2022, 01:57:21 PM
I've never seen any Borat movies. I haven't lost anything, have I?

The appeal of Borat is that he says some "outrageous" things and manages to get away with it under the guise of being a foreign. The really interesting parts are where he get these normal people to just talk frankly. Really eye-opening about American culture to get an outsider perspective and get people to admit to things that they probably wouldn't if they knew they were on camera, or at least on camera for a movie that would be seen in America.