Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Post your funny pictures here!!! part Deux

Started by Nam, July 26, 2014, 08:19:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

drunkenshoe

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on July 28, 2021, 05:31:53 AM
Depending on the region, of course.

I was thinking about the same thing because I don't think we have this in English.

I made a few... "AY gat en ey in İngliş. İtz en izzi mistayke tu mayke. Dis iz en aydır/or kuesçın." LOL
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Shiranu

Quote from: Hydra009 on July 28, 2021, 01:33:52 AM

At least we can say Asia without making an R sound!  :P

I've literally never heard anyone talk like that. New York?
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: drunkenshoe on July 28, 2021, 09:16:03 AM
I was thinking about the same thing because I don't think we have this in English.

I made a few... "AY gat en ey in İngliş. İtz en izzi mistayke tu mayke. Dis iz en aydır/or kuesçın." LOL
Ever heard of Nooalf? http://www.nqalf.com/
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Hydra009

Quote from: Shiranu on July 28, 2021, 09:57:28 AM
I've literally never heard anyone talk like that. New York?
IDK.  Boston?  Southern?

In NC, it is incredibly common to hear words with shortened pronunciation or blurred together, so "more or less" really does sound like "mor'rless"

had a = hadda
butter = buddr
cookie = kuki (I swear, there's a definite U sound for that around here)
getting ready to = finna
hurricane = hurikan
governor = guhvanur
camouflage = camuhflagh

Basically, the "uh" sound is waay more common locally than it would be in formal english.

drunkenshoe

Christians Against Dinosaurs. Is it me or being 'against' something or rather the use of the word 'against' here in this context, actually suggests that you accept dinosaurs as a part of reality but you are just, you know, don't want them to be all that because you don't like it?

"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Shiranu

Quote from: Hydra009 on July 31, 2021, 12:01:34 AM

Okay, but now I am actually curious how some of them did get it on and I'm picturing a lot more than I bargained for.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: drunkenshoe on July 31, 2021, 03:02:03 AM
Christians Against Dinosaurs. Is it me or being 'against' something or rather the use of the word 'against' here in this context, actually suggests that you accept dinosaurs as a part of reality but you are just, you know, don't want them to be all that because you don't like it?

Being related to hundreds of these idiots* helps me decode what they're saying. In this case it's the lazy factor. "Christians against the belief in dinosaurs" is just too long to go on a bumper sticker.

*Some of them protested at an exhibition of "phony dinosaur bones" a few years back. The exhibit was entirely extinct mammals that lived in Arkansas.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

drunkenshoe

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on July 31, 2021, 06:33:47 AM

...*Some of them protested at an exhibition of "phony dinosaur bones" a few years back. The exhibit was entirely extinct mammals that lived in Arkansas.

Oh thanks for that, that made my day.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: drunkenshoe on July 31, 2021, 06:52:43 AM
Oh thanks for that, that made my day.
The family Facebook page is hilarious. And, sadly, private.
PZ Myers

Hydra009

I mean...porcupines, elephants, rhinos, and alligators get it on all the time (probably right this second somewhere) and that's equally puzzling, so I'm not losing sleep over dino mating.

aitm

If eagles can fuck while in flight and screaming towards the ground to certain death, I am certain dinosaurs can figure out a way.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

drunkenshoe

Quote from: Hydra009 on July 31, 2021, 10:43:19 PM
I mean...porcupines, elephants, rhinos, and alligators get it on all the time (probably right this second somewhere) and that's equally puzzling, so I'm not losing sleep over dino mating.

LOL Yeah...