Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Post your funny pictures here!!! part Deux

Started by Nam, July 26, 2014, 08:19:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hydra009

I'd bring $20 worth of spices and buy a horse. :P

Hydra009

Better that I had died in serene ignorance than opened wide the Black Door of science and beheld with grim certainty that unspeakable truth.

PopeyesPappy

Quote from: Hydra009 on November 30, 2022, 07:54:20 AMI'd bring $20 worth of spices and buy a horse. :P

A 400 ounce (27.4 lb.) gold bar. Worth about $700,000 today. In 1350 it would be the equivalent of about 1600 gold nobles. That's 10,667 shillings or £534. That would have been about 60 years of wages for a skilled craftsman such as a mason or master carpenter. 30 years for a priest. 4 years for the king's chief armorer. 3 years of rent income for a minor noble with 800 acres of land. 2 months of income for the Bishop of Winchester who took home £4,000 annually, or the equivalent of $2 million a year in today's dollars.

So the 27.4 lb. gold bar wouldn't make you rich, but it would be enough to live better than most for the rest of your life. 
Save a life. Adopt a Greyhound.

Hydra009

Impressed that you know that.  Scared that you know it with that level of detail.

PopeyesPappy

Quote from: Hydra009 on November 30, 2022, 10:51:29 AMImpressed that you know that.  Scared that you know it with that level of detail.

lol. Don't be too impressed. I spent 10 minutes on google gathering data and did half a dozen or so calculations on a spreadsheet to figure it out.

https://thehistoryofengland.co.uk/resource/medieval-prices-and-wages/

Hydra009

Quote from: PopeyesPappy on November 30, 2022, 10:59:16 AMlol. Don't be too impressed. I spent 10 minutes on google gathering data and did half a dozen or so calculations on a spreadsheet to figure it out.

https://thehistoryofengland.co.uk/resource/medieval-prices-and-wages/

PopeyesPappy

I went into it expecting that much gold to go a lot further.

Hydra009

Blackleaf

Quote from: PopeyesPappy on November 30, 2022, 10:49:33 AMA 400 ounce (27.4 lb.) gold bar. Worth about $700,000 today. In 1350 it would be the equivalent of about 1600 gold nobles. That's 10,667 shillings or £534. That would have been about 60 years of wages for a skilled craftsman such as a mason or master carpenter. 30 years for a priest. 4 years for the king's chief armorer. 3 years of rent income for a minor noble with 800 acres of land. 2 months of income for the Bishop of Winchester who took home £4,000 annually, or the equivalent of $2 million a year in today's dollars.

So the 27.4 lb. gold bar wouldn't make you rich, but it would be enough to live better than most for the rest of your life.

Who do you sell it to, though? You can't just go to a random vendor in a random town and sell your gold bar to them, because they won't have enough to trade for it. And of course, there's a big risk of somebody just robbing you. Gold is also very heavy. Chugging a gold bar around barehanded would be very exhausting.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Mike Cl

Well, how about taking a how-to-do-it book for things like advanced (for that time) weapons, medicines, growing stuff, armor, soaps--subjects like that.  I has to have easy instructions and pictures.

Or a history book for that time frame--that way one can pick a person to hitch their own star to. :)
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Hydra009

Quote from: Blackleaf on November 30, 2022, 06:11:23 PMWho do you sell it to, though? You can't just go to a random vendor in a random town and sell your gold bar to them, because they won't have enough to trade for it. And of course, there's a big risk of somebody just robbing you. Gold is also very heavy. Chugging a gold bar around barehanded would be very exhausting.
One of the medieval history buffs I watch went over the whole time travel scenario.  He concluded that even if language or germ problems could be resolved, living in a society heavily influenced by familial ties would be near impossible as a kinless outsider.  If you have anything of great value, you'd be robbed very quickly with no legal recourse.

Hydra009

Quote from: Mike Cl on November 30, 2022, 06:46:05 PMWell, how about taking a how-to-do-it book for things like advanced (for that time) weapons, medicines, growing stuff, armor, soaps--subjects like that.  I has to have easy instructions and pictures.
That'd be nice, but you'd still have to scrounge up the raw materials (no easy feat) and beg some guildmaster to make it for you (harder still), and they'd almost certainly Zuckerburg you out of your profits.

QuoteOr a history book for that time frame--that way one can pick a person to hitch their own star to. :)
Even a very detailed and specific history book would leave a lot out, but you'd know the approximate dates of the rise and falls of various kings, which even assuming that history can't be changed, wouldn't necessarily help you very much.

Blackleaf

Quote from: Hydra009 on November 30, 2022, 06:48:46 PMOne of the medieval history buffs I watch went over the whole time travel scenario.  He concluded that even if language or germ problems could be resolved, living in a society heavily influenced by familial ties would be near impossible as a kinless outsider.  If you have anything of great value, you'd be robbed very quickly with no legal recourse.

True, but one look at your weird clothes (assuming time travel doesn't make you go nude, Terminator style), and you'll instantly stand out. Some cultures might mistake you for a god. Heck, even if you explained to them that you were a normal human from the future, they'd probably take a great interest in you. The leader of the area might decide to keep you around and entertain them with stories of the future.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Hydra009

I dunno about godhood.  If you saw someone wearing weird futuristic clothes, I doubt you'd worship them.  You'd just think they're a weirdo or a cosplayer or a venn diagram of the two that's pretty much just a regular circle.

Although...there are people wearing weird but very present-day clothes who do attract a surprisingly deific following...dammit, I am totally not helping my point.

Living in a medieval settlement, people would almost certainly stare at you constantly.  Opinions would likely be mixed, but if you do anything to bring disrespect on the local culture or king or church, you'd be either thrown out or killed in a heartbeat.  You'd have to assimilate your ass off or work a miracle to get the public on your side.  And hooboy, would they have a lot of cultural practices you would NOT like at all (mostly animal cruelty, human cruelty, and misogyny, though maybe some racism if you hit the geopolitical jackpot), so you'd have to be super diplomatic with them.

Mike Cl

Quote from: Hydra009 on November 30, 2022, 06:54:50 PMThat'd be nice, but you'd still have to scrounge up the raw materials (no easy feat) and beg some guildmaster to make it for you (harder still), and they'd almost certainly Zuckerburg you out of your profits.
Even a very detailed and specific history book would leave a lot out, but you'd know the approximate dates of the rise and falls of various kings, which even assuming that history can't be changed, wouldn't necessarily help you very much.
Okay, Hydra, I need to let you know that I am an expert in this particular subject.  I have personally read "A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court" comic book (the Classic comic) at least twice!!!  So, I'd take Hank Morgan's memory--he knew how to build a bunch of stuff. 
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?