News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Post your funny pictures here!!! part Deux

Started by Nam, July 26, 2014, 08:19:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aitm

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on October 14, 2022, 07:10:20 PMI offer, as reply, an old Amish saying.

THEY'RE ALL MAD SAVE THEE AND ME, AND THEE I'M NONE TOO SURE ABOUT.

Yer all a bit weird. Non-conformists. Which begs the question, does non-conformity breed atheism or vice versa. Which do you think came first in your "vision" of your behavior? For me, I think non-conformity led me to atheism, because everyone else was into all this whack-a-doo shit that they didn't even really believe it. The first time I read the babble, my thoughts were, this is fucking nonsense. The second time, pure idiocy. These people don't even believe their own crazy ass shit.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Mike Cl

Even as a child in Oregon (up to the 5th grade) I felt a bit out of it.  when I moved to Alabama that feeling grew because my nose was rubbed in it.  Alabama has bibles growing out of bushes it seems and a church (and bar) several to the block, it seems.  I tried going to several churches there but, if anything, it made me feel more of the odd man out, for none of it made much sense.  My atheism grew from there.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Cassia

Quote from: aitm on October 15, 2022, 08:18:03 AMYer all a bit weird. Non-conformists. Which begs the question, does non-conformity breed atheism or vice versa. Which do you think came first in your "vision" of your behavior? For me, I think non-conformity led me to atheism, because everyone else was into all this whack-a-doo shit that they didn't even really believe it. The first time I read the babble, my thoughts were, this is fucking nonsense. The second time, pure idiocy. These people don't even believe their own crazy ass shit.
It is a good question. I can multi-task...sure and yes fast thinkers are applauded by society. Slow and deep thoughts are more to my liking. That disconnected kid last in line as the class follows the teacher down the hallway. The kid who wants to know "why?". Turns out most people don't really know why, LOL. I was that future electrical engineer who figures out voltage is pressure; a capacitor is a holding tank, and a transistor is a valve, and that music is a combination of math, the Fourier series and pattern recognition. Not magical or divine inspiration.

So, they teach science and then they tell us to ignore it! All of a sudden gravity no longer applies or a burning bush can defy entropy and the explanation is to "just have faith". Why? Crickets. That's not good enough. Bye-Bye god, jesus, mary and joe; you are just noise.

Then I came to the realization that so much simian and human interaction IS meaningless noise, devoid of the good stuff. Insecurities, fears, guilt, sex ploys and power plays. And now we have social media to exponentially transmit and retransmit and amplify all that noise. I can spy on it without getting involved. What a mess, the downward spiral towards extinction.

Gawdzilla Sama

Too damn close to the system's star.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Unbeliever

Quote from: aitm on October 15, 2022, 08:18:03 AMThese people don't even believe their own crazy ass shit.
Yeah, show me someone who believes in the Bible and I'll show you someone who's never read the damned thing.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Hydra009

Quote from: Cassia on October 15, 2022, 09:39:25 AMIt is a good question. I can multi-task...sure and yes fast thinkers are applauded by society.
I'm almost convinced that multi-tasking is some sort of collective myth.  I have yet to see true multitasking, only people switching tasks rapidly (which is inefficient because there's a slight delay every time people switch tasks)

QuoteSlow and deep thoughts are more to my liking.
I can do one of those.  :P

QuoteThe kid who wants to know "why?". Turns out most people don't really know why, LOL.
I actually really like and appreciate people asking those sorts of elemental questions.  I once worked a register and had a kid ask me why people use money to buy things and I told him I didn't know but told him that it was an interesting question.  Later, I went down a hell of a rabbit hole trying to figure it out.

I don't know why adults have such a hard time telling kids that they don't know.  Nowadays, you can just tell the kid you'll look it up and get back to them about it, then google it or ask the forum or something.  So there's no excuse for telling the kid to be quiet.  Even questions that seem dumb can be good teaching moments and it's important to reward intellectual curiosity among kids.

QuoteI was that future electrical engineer who figures out voltage is pressure; a capacitor is a holding tank, and a transistor is a valve, and that music is a combination of math, the Fourier series and pattern recognition. Not magical or divine inspiration.
*head explodes*  Ever see those graphs of electricity and magnetism?

Blew my mind!

Music is indeed math and pattern recognition, though I have also heard it called "three chords and the truth".  Also, I'm fond of thinking of music as like painting, but painting across a canvas of time rather than space.

QuoteSo, they teach science and then they tell us to ignore it!
Yeah, it drives me nuts that these factoids are pounded into us as kids but then the actual significance behind them seems to erode, so adults retain the barebones basic explanation (heavy stuff weighs more) but not often the more interesting explanations (mass "warps" spacetime and possibly, gravitons are a thing)

QuoteThen I came to the realization that so much simian and human interaction IS meaningless noise, devoid of the good stuff. Insecurities, fears, guilt, sex ploys and power plays. And now we have social media to exponentially transmit and retransmit and amplify all that noise. I can spy on it without getting involved. What a mess, the downward spiral towards extinction.
Touché!

Hydra009

I would almost certainly get accidentally transporter cloned and would be 100% on board with that.

Blackleaf

Quote from: Hydra009 on October 14, 2022, 10:58:35 AMThis is super off-topic, but I thought HP didn't handle magic in a very consistent way.  One moment, it's polymorph and stupify, the next it's time travel (a godlike power when used creatively, just ask Dr Who) and death curses.

Magic is a dangerous thing to add to a story because it can serve too much as a deus ex machina.  So when an author builds a story where magic is central, I expect it to have certain rules and limitations.  In the HP universe, just about anything goes at any time, which I guess is its main draw, but I found it very confusing and never knew if the protagonists were in over their heads or not.

They kind of balanced time travel by making it so you couldn't change history. Anything you do with it has to have already happened. And if you bump into another iteration of yourself, something very bad happens to you. So to make the most of it, you have to do what Hermione does, and plan your time with it carefully. You could also only go back a maximum of five hours.

There's also only one time turner left. As long as you ignore The Cursed Child, which every fan should.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Blackleaf

Quote from: Hydra009 on October 15, 2022, 06:48:24 PMI'm almost convinced that multi-tasking is some sort of collective myth.  I have yet to see true multitasking, only people switching tasks rapidly (which is inefficient because there's a slight delay every time people switch tasks)

There was a time once when I was having a conversation with someone while typing on my keyboard. I was even able to realize when I'd made a typo, without looking or stopping the conversation. The person I was talking to thought it was weird. Don't think I can do that anymore.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

GSOgymrat

Quote from: aitm on October 15, 2022, 08:18:03 AMYer all a bit weird. Non-conformists. Which begs the question, does non-conformity breed atheism or vice versa. Which do you think came first in your "vision" of your behavior?

I'm not sure I'm a non-conformist. I can't remember a time I believed in God though.

Gawdzilla Sama

Larry Niven wrote about teleporter disks that didn't bring the bad things in your body. Every time you used the disks you got healthier.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Hydra009

Only gigachads can survive execution, apparently.

Did Socrates know about this?  That dude was built back in the day.

Gawdzilla Sama

Crucifixion was supposed to be a long slow death.
PZ Myers