News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Post your funny pictures here!!! part Deux

Started by Nam, July 26, 2014, 08:19:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dark Lightning

Quote from: drunkenshoe on August 12, 2022, 01:53:36 PM

I "liked" this, but I REALLY DON'T LIKE IT. Fucking chump. I fantasize 30 seconds in a locked room. Just him, me and a garotte.

Cassia

Quote from: Hydra009 on August 12, 2022, 02:46:20 PMLogic dictates that I answer two.
Drill a hole in a long, skinny cylinder and you have a straw.

Hydra009

Hydra009

Quote from: Cassia on August 12, 2022, 04:37:03 PMDrill a hole in a long, skinny cylinder and you have a straw.
Logic dictates that onces the initial hole pentrates the full length of the cylinder, it creates another hole at its terminus.

Dark Lightning

How many holes does a doughnut have? Now stretch it out until it is long and thin.

This concludes our topology lesson for the day. :D

Gawdzilla Sama

We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

aitm

Quote from: Hydra009 on August 12, 2022, 05:05:27 PMLogic dictates that onces the initial hole pentrates the full length of the cylinder, it creates another hole at its terminus.
A straw is not a hole....it does not have a hole as a straw is a tube or a funnel or a hose or a whatever....we do not say a cave has a hole, it has an entrance or an exit..depending on which side your standing. Now a pin prick into the side of a straw may be called a hole I suppose.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Cassia

Quote from: Hydra009 on August 12, 2022, 05:05:27 PMLogic dictates that onces the initial hole pentrates the full length of the cylinder, it creates another hole at its terminus.
Since this is not a logical problem but one of definition; do we say drill a hole through plywood or do we say drill two holes?  One through the front and one through the back? The dimensions of the material external to the hole are immaterial as it were. If you used a "hole cutter" you would get one plug. .

Luther Martini

Quote from: Cassia on August 12, 2022, 08:04:33 PM Since this is not a logical problem but one of definition; do we say drill a hole through plywood or do we say drill two holes?  One through the front and one through the back? The dimensions of the material external to the hole are immaterial as it were. If you used a "hole cutter" you would get one plug. .

I agree that this is a problem of definition, and given the initial question of "how many holes are there in a straw?" one would first need to define the word "straw".  It would seem that most assume that the question refers to a tubular straw, like one that is used for drinking, but what if the straw is merely a piece of fiber.  Or, perhaps the straw is something much more relevant to the validity of the logic used in trying to answer the question, as in "clutching at straws".  Given that we really do not know exactly what the word straw in the question refers to, I would have to answer the question as "Don't know".

Also, Dark Lightning's explanation of the topology of a doughnut made me think of how good a doughnut would taste right now. Additionally, contemplating the hole and taste of the doughnut reminded me of a quote from one of my favorite writers, Haruki Murakami from his novel A Wild Sheep Chase: "Whether you take the doughnut hole as a blank space or as an entity unto itself is a purely metaphysical question and does not affect the taste of the doughnut one bit."

Hydra009

Quote from: aitm on August 12, 2022, 07:42:13 PMA straw is not a hole....it does not have a hole as a straw is a tube or a funnel or a hose or a whatever....we do not say a cave has a hole, it has an entrance or an exit..depending on which side your standing. Now a pin prick into the side of a straw may be called a hole I suppose.
A hole is a circle (or thereabouts) of atmosphere surrounded by solid material.  So yes, a cave enterance and exit is a hole.  As is an open door or open window.

Dark Lightning

Quote from: Luther Martini on August 12, 2022, 10:11:16 PMI agree that this is a problem of definition, and given the initial question of "how many holes are there in a straw?" one would first need to define the word "straw".  It would seem that most assume that the question refers to a tubular straw, like one that is used for drinking, but what if the straw is merely a piece of fiber.  Or, perhaps the straw is something much more relevant to the validity of the logic used in trying to answer the question, as in "clutching at straws".  Given that we really do not know exactly what the word straw in the question refers to, I would have to answer the question as "Don't know".

Also, Dark Lightning's explanation of the topology of a doughnut made me think of how good a doughnut would taste right now. Additionally, contemplating the hole and taste of the doughnut reminded me of a quote from one of my favorite writers, Haruki Murakami from his novel A Wild Sheep Chase: "Whether you take the doughnut hole as a blank space or as an entity unto itself is a purely metaphysical question and does not affect the taste of the doughnut one bit."

Doctor's on me about losing weight, but I think that an apple fritter (no hole) is in my future; like breakfast, tomorrow!

Hydra009

Unbeliever

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on August 12, 2022, 05:32:10 PMIt's one hole, all the way through.

Humans are also topologically equivalent to a torus.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman