News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Post your funny pictures here!!! part Deux

Started by Nam, July 26, 2014, 08:19:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

drunkenshoe

Quote from: Mike Cl on April 20, 2022, 11:57:58 AMthe best way to eat fish is to give it to somebody who likes it--Which leaves me out.  Or fish-and-chips with loads of tartar sauce.

LOL. I can live on Norway salmon all my life. but it is extremely expensive here lately. We eat a lot of different kinds of fish. Also lakerda! (Salt cooked fish. Done by different kind of ones.) GODS! As I've been following a regular diet, I don't even think about the stuff. Sigh. It's like crack cocain, ffs.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lakerda

We have a specific kind of restaurant you can eat all that octopus, calamari, every kind of fish dish [and meze with rakı], but not like Europeans cuisine. It's just amazing, but well, prices are insane. 
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Hydra009

Quote from: drunkenshoe on April 20, 2022, 12:05:22 PMLOL. I can live on Norway salmon all my life.
Same.  I like to get those King Oscar sardines as a tasty treat even though they're a bit pricey.  I could forgo other meat if I could still eat fish and eggs.  Just go full mediterranean diet.

I cooked some salmon for Christmas (no turkey for me!  Je n'aime pas!) and my brother complained, saying that the salmon smelled fishy.  Call me crazy, but fish is supposed to smell a little fishy, hence the name.  I mean, if beef didn't smell beefy, that'd be a problem!

He mildly dislikes fish (chicken all day, every day) so his impression was more than a little sus and definitely an outlier.  The fish was pretty fresh and tasty, so it's not like it was on the verge of being rotten or anything.  I think I can safely chalk that one up to picky eater tendencies rather than an objective problem with the food.

Hydra009

Quote from: drunkenshoe on April 20, 2022, 11:49:58 AMWell, I don't use microwave, I've never had one. I hate that thing. Hence the "without the nuking part" in my post.

I just mean fish can be eaten raw, it is pretty delicious, and it's eaten by tons of people every day around the globe. So, no. there aren't just 4 ways to eat fish. It's also smoked, cooked on salt...etc.   
Okay, you got me there, but the microwave part was the faux pas part of Stephen King's post.  No one has a problem with the olive oil and lemon part.

drunkenshoe

Quote from: Hydra009 on April 20, 2022, 01:00:25 PMOkay, you got me there, but the microwave part was the faux pas part of Stephen King's post.  No one has a problem with the olive oil and lemon part.

Oh yeah, agreed...It sounds yuck.
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

drunkenshoe

Hydra009

Mike Cl

Quote from: drunkenshoe on April 20, 2022, 12:05:22 PMLOL. I can live on Norway salmon all my life. but it is extremely expensive here lately. We eat a lot of different kinds of fish. Also lakerda! (Salt cooked fish. Done by different kind of ones.) GODS! As I've been following a regular diet, I don't even think about the stuff. Sigh. It's like crack cocain, ffs.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lakerda

We have a specific kind of restaurant you can eat all that octopus, calamari, every kind of fish dish [and meze with rakı], but not like Europeans cuisine. It's just amazing, but well, prices are insane. 
I really, really should like fish.  My grandmother and grandfather loved fish; both were directly from Sweden and grew up eating fish.  My grandfather's idea of a snack was to pop open a jar of pickled herring and chowing down.  And my mother could not get enough salmon; I did not fight her for any.  I put fish into the liver-and-onions category, which is never. 
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

GSOgymrat

We had a microwave fish fiasco at work a few years ago. At the time we worked in an open office with cubicles and the microwave was few feet from everyone's desks. A coworker, who is African-American, had a habit of heating fish head soup for lunch, which apparently smells bad  (I work nights and have never experienced fish head soup). A coworker put an anonymous note on the microwave asking to be courteous and not microwave odoriferous items, and everyone on day shift knew this note was prompted by the fish head soup. The soup connoisseur took offense and went to HR claiming she was being discriminated against due to her African heritage. I heard about the situation because HR came to our staff meeting to lecture us on office etiquette and chastise us for eating at our desks. The irony was the coworker who posted the note had immigrated to the US from Nigeria four years earlier.

Cassia

We used specialized, expensive and sophisticated thermal chambers to test our electronic designs. One engineer decided to heat up some smoked fish in the chamber. Fast forward eight years later...I swear I could still smell smoked fish every time I opened up that chamber.

drunkenshoe

Quote from: Hydra009 on April 20, 2022, 02:14:37 PMArguably more than the average Japanese person.

LOL. I thought of a certain kind of pilav made here with fish and wondered if you would like it.

https://www.tasteatlas.com/hamsili-pilav

drunkenshoe

Quote from: Mike Cl on April 20, 2022, 06:19:16 PMI really, really should like fish.  My grandmother and grandfather loved fish; both were directly from Sweden and grew up eating fish.  My grandfather's idea of a snack was to pop open a jar of pickled herring and chowing down.  And my mother could not get enough salmon; I did not fight her for any.  I put fish into the liver-and-onions category, which is never. 

Onion, too? Aw. *Hugs. We infamously eat onion like mad here. It's in the basic of home made daily food.

You don't need to like anything, sweetie. You can provide your body's needs with different means today.

Mike Cl

Quote from: drunkenshoe on April 21, 2022, 12:58:29 AMOnion, too? Aw. *Hugs. We infamously eat onion like mad here. It's in the basic of home made daily food.

You don't need to like anything, sweetie. You can provide your body's needs with different means today.
Love onions, just not with liver---or fish. :)  Of course I don't have to eat any particular thing.  If I had my wish come true, I'd much rather like something than not.  But no matter how I try, fish (and liver and ochra) my body does not tolerate.  So, I substitute.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Hydra009

Quote from: drunkenshoe on April 21, 2022, 12:58:29 AMOnion, too? Aw. *Hugs. We infamously eat onion like mad here. It's in the basic of home made daily food.
Same.  Part of the holy trinity of food. Good source of antioxidants and sulfur.  Good way to add flavor without adding salt or sugar.  Perfect compliment to any meat, and not bad with most veggies.  And I'd swear it helps make meat dishes easier on the digestive system.

PopeyesPappy

Quote from: Hydra009 on April 21, 2022, 10:44:50 AMSame.  Part of the holy trinity of food. Good source of antioxidants and sulfur.  Good way to add flavor without adding salt or sugar.  Perfect compliment to any meat, and not bad with most veggies.  And I'd swear it helps make meat dishes easier on the digestive system.

Depends on the digestive system. My mom and several of her siblings are very sensitive to onions. Even a little bit of onion can cause them some serious digestive issues. I didn't get that gene, and I will happily pile sauteed onions and peppers on a brat, or put a few rings of raw onion on a burger, I often find the taste of onion to be overpowering in many dishes. Most of the time when I'm cooking and the recipe calls for onion I will cut the amount of onion called for in half or even a quarter so I can taste the other ingredients.
Save a life. Adopt a Greyhound.

Gawdzilla Sama

The last fish I ate was just finishing eating me. (c. 1972, somewhere in Southeast Asia.) The docs told me it was a good way to debride a wound in that situation. I responded with a comment about auto-cannibalism by proxy. One nurse barfed.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers