News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Post your funny pictures here!!! part Deux

Started by Nam, July 26, 2014, 08:19:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gawdzilla Sama

We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Hydra009

Quote from: Blackleaf on April 17, 2022, 01:52:35 AMI've talked to a Muslim on Discord. They have to get up in the middle of the night to binge eat and drink. During the day, they're not even allowed water. What is the fucking point?
A lot of religions have stuff like that, stuff that's intentionally difficult/inconvenient as a show of commitment.  Fasting, days where you can't work, days where you can't eat certain things, etc.

Obviously, since people are ultimately calling the shots, people can uncall those shots as well.  Need to drink some water?  Then drink some water.  No one's going to arrest you for that (I hope)

Slavish obedience to some bizarre set of rules lacking justification doesn't really benefit the person or society at large.

Dark Lightning

I knew a guy who told me that they could at least drink water. Not drinking water all day is really bad for one's body.

the_antithesis

Quote from: Dark Lightning on April 17, 2022, 11:57:01 AMI knew a guy who told me that they could at least drink water. Not drinking water all day is really bad for one's body.

Particularly in a desert.

Some can't even swallow their own saliva. So, it's weird.

Hydra009

Once, I was directed to harvest and prepare fresh eggs like a rustic ruralite (what I presume they call themselves).  It was a quite unusual experience.

Hydra009

No pan?  Microwave??  Nuke it??!

drunkenshoe

Time(s) change according to the cities in/and geographical regions. For example in Istanbul, they will get up around at 5 in the morning to eat today. That means they'll be fasting for 14 hours a day. They break it around 19:00. The fasting and breaking times move with minutes in a day too. As the days pass they break it a bit later, I guess. No,they can't drink water. People who take regular medicine, old people, kids...etc. are not supposed to fast. If you are not healthy and fit, you are not supposed to fast at all. 

It also makes a lot of difference in which season it is, Ramadan moves in the year too. If it is winter, obviously it is much better because days are shorter.

I've tried it once. Just the fasting. It wasn't difficult, because I was 19 years old. If they drank water, it would be exactly like the fasting some fitness people do today. It's pretty much like it. I've joined a lot of breaking feast in my life though. NOW that. The food served in those feasts is fucking delicious. A lot of people invite non fasting people/family to them.

In every Ramadan, there are all kinds of shenaningans going on according to the place you live. There are places where all the restaurants/bars/pubs are closed, in some you can't even eat/drink water/smoke in the street walking. Or like the place I live, you can go on doing everything.
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

drunkenshoe

Quote from: Hydra009 on April 20, 2022, 05:04:10 AM

No pan?  Microwave??  Nuke it??!

That's a common way to eat salmon without the nuking part, lol.
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Hydra009

(switches from INTP to INTJ)

There are only 4 ways to prepare fish:

* baked
* grilled
* pan-fried
* breaded and fried

Microwave is a no-no.  Imagine being a multi-millionaire and having the wealth to eat like a king every day and just nuking garbage like a frat pledge.

Dark Lightning

Microwave fish is nasty. Where I used to work, there were signs on the microwave ovens- "Do not cook fish in here!". That would just stink the place up.

drunkenshoe

Well, I don't use microwave, I've never had one. I hate that thing. Hence the "without the nuking part" in my post.

I just mean fish can be eaten raw, it is pretty delicious, and it's eaten by tons of people every day around the globe. So, no. there aren't just 4 ways to eat fish. It's also smoked, cooked on salt...etc.   

Mike Cl

Quote from: drunkenshoe on April 20, 2022, 11:49:58 AMWell, I don't use microwave, I've never had one. I hate that thing. Hence the "without the nuking part" in my post.

I just mean fish can be eaten raw, it is pretty delicious, and it's eaten by tons of people every day around the globe. So, no. there aren't just 4 ways to eat fish. It's also smoked, cooked on salt...etc.   
the best way to eat fish is to give it to somebody who likes it--Which leaves me out.  Or fish-and-chips with loads of tartar sauce.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?