News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Demons

Started by Contemporary Protestant, July 26, 2014, 01:06:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Contemporary Protestant

Growing up in a more moderate-liberal background, I am unfamiliar with doctrine or dogma on this subject. Would anyone be willing to share what they were told as kids/young adults?

Hijiri Byakuren

Everything I've ever heard about demons is so conflicting that I've just given up and decided to stick to this kind.

Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

SGOS

My father frightened me with the boogeyman for a short time, but I think my mother told him to stop that shit, and he did.  Other than that, my parents told me ghosts and monsters didn't exist, but I was afraid of them anyway.  I wasn't taught anything about demons during my Lutheran upbringing, but I think they play a part in the Catholic religion and in some protestant fringe sects.

Mr.Obvious

When I was a kid I thought demons and devils were real entities out there. But I mostly blame my schooling combined with my being an impressionable kid with a rather active imagination more than 'indoctrination' on this. My parents didn't actually believe in god, let alone demons. And always told me they, like monsters, didn't exist. I actually remember finding it confusing that they said these things couldn't exist when the devil clearly was an entity in the stories of the bible. (I didn't know they weren't religious and just had me baptized, taken communion and given me the optional course of 'religion' over 'ethics' in school to please my grandparents.)
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

stromboli

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Lesser_Key_of_Solomon

Lesser Key of Solomon. Describes demons of various types, if you are looking at classical references.

Demon in  my religion, (Mormon) were fallen angels that backed Satan supposedly in a war in heaven, and were cast down to earth. Also sometimes referred to as Sons of Perdition, a term used interchangeably between fallen angels and people who denied Mormonism      (me :biggrin:)

I once had as dream where I saw an image of the fallen, dressed in Mormon Temple garments, substituting the color red for green, the standard color of the apron and the sash. Woke up in a cold sweat. Went to church next Sunday.

Contemporary Protestant

thanks for the link

Solitary

I never heard of demons as a kid, but the boogey man as well as the tooth fairy scared the crap out of me along with Santa if I was naughty.  :doh: Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

AllPurposeAtheist

Quote from: Solitary on July 26, 2014, 04:56:44 PM
I never heard of demons as a kid, but the boogey man as well as the tooth fairy scared the crap out of me along with Santa if I was naughty.  :doh: Solitary
The tooth fairy of course causes all kinds of dental pain and it doesn't really matter if you brush and floss. It's all dependent on whether you feared her or not as a kid. I made the mistake of not fearing her so had terrible dental pain till finally getting all my teeth pulled. I bet my dentures will hurt too because of it.
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

GrinningYMIR

Quote from: Hijiri Byakuren on July 26, 2014, 01:15:05 PM
Everything I've ever heard about demons is so conflicting that I've just given up and decided to stick to this kind.

I don't find that difficult to fap to
"Human history is a litany of blood shed over differing ideals of rulership and afterlife"<br /><br />Governor of the 32nd Province of the New Lunar Republic. Luna Nobis Custodit

Simon Moon

Quote from: Contemporary Protestant on July 26, 2014, 01:06:32 PM
Growing up in a more moderate-liberal background, I am unfamiliar with doctrine or dogma on this subject. Would anyone be willing to share what they were told as kids/young adults?

So, you learned your cherry picking from your parents.

Never ceases to amaze me how 'moderate Christians' want to ignore the parts of the Bible that make them uncomfortable.
And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence - Russell

Contemporary Protestant

Excuse me?

I have already talked ad nauseum about how I read scripture, just because I don't live according to the Old Testament because I am not jewish. I live according to Jesus' philosophy

And for your information, my parents are very conservative but allow me to believe things (or not believe things on my own) I actually left my parents church the second I could drive myself places. I say I had a moderate background because that is what I chose to surround myself with

PickelledEggs

Quote from: GrinningYMIR on July 26, 2014, 07:55:08 PM
I don't find that difficult to fap to

I find it difficult to NOT fap to.

PickelledEggs

Gawdzilla Sama

I was declared a demon in 1971. I tend to agree with that.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

The Skeletal Atheist

I was simply told that demons were agents of Satan, and that their main job was whispering temptations into you head so you'd do bad things because unlike God, Satan couldn't be end-user and he only visited for major temptations. That's what I was told as a child anyways.
Some people need to be beaten with a smart stick.

Kein Mehrheit Fur Die Mitleid!

Kein Mitlied F�r Die Mehrheit!