News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Them Crazy Satanists

Started by GrinningYMIR, July 28, 2014, 10:40:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GrinningYMIR

QuoteSatanic Temple seeks Hobby Lobby-style exemption from anti-abortion laws

If Christian business owners cannot be compelled to violate their faith, why should the same protection not apply to Satanists? That's the argument the Satanic Temple is making to claim that, in the wake of the Supreme Court's Hobby Lobby ruling, women who share their beliefs should not be forced to follow some of the more restrictive state-level abortion laws to crop up in recent years.

Specifically, the Satanic Temple wants women to be exempt from having to view legally mandated "informational" materials â€" which it calls "biased" and "medically invalid" â€" prior to having an abortion. Dozens of states require women to attend counseling before receiving an abortion, while 10 mandate that they receive written materials before undergoing the procedure, according to the Guttmacher Institute.

"While we feel we have a strong case for an exemption regardless of the Hobby Lobby ruling, the Supreme Court has decided that religious beliefs are so sacrosanct that they can even trump scientific fact," a spokesperson for the group said in a press release.
The Satanic Temple added that all women who share their belief that the "body is inviolable subject to one's own will alone" â€" and not merely temple members â€" should be free to claim the exemption.
- - Jon Terbush   
"Human history is a litany of blood shed over differing ideals of rulership and afterlife"<br /><br />Governor of the 32nd Province of the New Lunar Republic. Luna Nobis Custodit

Nam

Mad cow disease...it's not just for cows, or the mad!

Poison Tree

Doubt it will work, but I'm not sure that's actually their goal anyway.
"Observe that noses were made to wear spectacles; and so we have spectacles. Legs were visibly instituted to be breeched, and we have breeches" Voltaire�s Candide

AllPurposeAtheist

I'm still waiting for the atheist suit that invalidates all the religion bullshittery laws.
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Draconic Aiur

SGOS

If they pass a law that everyone should worship a higher power, we should consider Satanism.  Things couldn't get much stupider.

Mr.Obvious

If it comes to it that we must worship a higher power, I'm choosing Stephen Fry.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Nam

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on July 29, 2014, 04:54:47 AM
If it comes to it that we must worship a higher power, I'm choosing Stephen Fry.

I choose Simon Pegg.

-Nam
Mad cow disease...it's not just for cows, or the mad!

Shiranu

Gotta love the Satanists just for being complete trolls (for a good cause).
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Solitary

There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

Gawdzilla Sama

Borrowed from JREF.

QuoteSatanists want to use Hobby Lobby decision to exempt women from anti-abortion laws
http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2014/07/2...abortion-laws/

Quote:
In a statement, the Satanic Temple said that it will use the Supreme Court’s recent Hobby Lobby decision to exempt its believers from state-mandated informed consent laws that require women considering abortions to read pro-life material.

Informed consent or “right to know” laws state that women seeking elective abortions be provided with information about alternatives to the procedure, often couched in language that attempts to personify the fetus. According to the Guttmacher Institute, 35 states currently have informed consent laws, and of those, 33 require that the woman be told the gestational age of the fetus.

In some states, that information consists of pro-life propaganda that links abortion to a higher incidence of breast and ovarian cancers, or discusses “post-abortion syndrome,” a mental condition not recognized by any major medical or psychiatric organization.

Because the Satanic Temple bases its belief “regarding personal health…on the best scientific understanding of the world, regardless of the religious or political beliefs of others,” it claims that state-mandated information with no basis in scientific fact violates its “religious” beliefs. ..
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers