Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

A personal rant

Started by Shol'va, July 24, 2014, 08:00:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shol'va

Just to vent :)

My voice of reason

Sometimes it's others that serves as our voice of reason. In this case it was my sister. This thread is a personal rant.

One of my very best lifelong friends has gone full fundie. Has been for a while now. I try to ignore his shit on Facebook and I finally lost my self restrain on one link to a Fox News article.
It was Megyn Kelly talking about ISIS oppression of Christians and she had The Family Research Council on the show to talk about, get this, fundamental human rights. And they were both bitching about Obama's silence on this issue and how he's not going to the rescue of poor oppressed Christians.
I couldn't take it. So I called him out, I wrote something along the lines of let me help Megyn "Santa is white" Kelly out on this one (she noted a personal dilemma of hers that I can't remember) and then also asked wtf is FRC doing on the show talking about basic human rights and what their thoughts were on the rights of gays in Uganda.
My sister starts sending me texts, "choose your battles", "this shit is annoying and stupid and it's now on my wall" etc. She talked some sense into me and I ended up deleting my post (no responses to it so my friend must not have seen it) and ended up just straight up removing him as a friend from Facebook. I'm lucky to have people around me like my sister, that talk some sense into me sometimes.

But I do regret removing my response 10 hours later. I should have left it up. It was brilliant if I may say so myself, and very succinctly called out the big stinking bullshit.
Oh well. And that's my rant.
I feel sorry for my friends kids though. I gave up on trying to instill some reason into him a long time ago. He has drowned himself too deep into the lake of ignorance and it's too late, I can't reach him. And I doubt he will ever swim to the surface.

stromboli

I hear you. the frustration I get with the occasional meets with my Mormon relatives is the same. Everything is fine until religion comes up, and its like the temperature drops 20 degrees and they get that judgmental look in their eyes. I have a sister that pretty much wants to strangle me on sight.

Shol'va

My dad and I oftentimes have at it and we always end up exasperating those around us. He is a new age enlightment bullshit kinda guy, a walking, talking, breathing practitioner of logical fallacies when it comes to this stuff. He is an incredibly smart and talented guy in all other aspects except his beliefs in woo. I do enjoy giving him food for thought and I do give him pause, which is evidence that I am getting through to him at times, but he'll go right back to thinking what he used to and I go right back into practicing my debating skills.

SGOS

My father went "fundie" on me after my mother died.  I lived in another part of the country, and my sister, in somewhat concerned tone, informed me over the phone that he had been passing out "weird literature" about some religion or other.  I wasn't shocked by it, because his mother was a Baptist, and had been openly ranting and raving about Jesus all her life. 

I also was not close to my father.  He was an asshole, and by that time in my life, I had reached such a level of frustration with him that I had stopped caring what he did or how he behaved as a way of not having to deal with the chaos and conflict he was Hell bent on creating around himself.  I never had a discussion with him about his religious conversion, but one time when he was visiting where I lived, he tried to call a little 3 way prayer circle with my wife and I.  I pulled myself out of his grasp and walked away.

At that time, I would have called myself an agnostic.  I never told him about my lack of belief, but he must of sensed my complete lack of interest in religion and the supernatural, because he didn't seem to want to approach the subject with me, and I was happy about that.

Solitary

"Many people would die rather than think, and many do." Mind control at its finest, the Church, churches, cults, politicians, and the military.  :popcorn: Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

stromboli

Everyone here has different experiences dealing with the religious, both in families and without. In my case dealing with a very devout family from top to bottom, and also living in a strongly LDS community. Kind of funny, since I have never been shy about confrontation on religion personally. Many conversations with family ended abruptly when the "issue" of my leaving surfaces. I used to carry a handout that was like 30 pages detailing various idiocies of Mormonism, but I know they never got read and were thrown away. the statement "I won't read that, it'll hurt my testimony" has echoed in my ears many a time. The response being that if your testimony can be damaged by facts, what good is it?

Logic is a bitch.  :biggrin:

Solitary

Only to the irrational! Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

AllPurposeAtheist

Well it can't hurt if you're already going to burn in hell..
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Munch

I'm thankful my mother, brother, sister in law and friends are not religious.
My aunt though, she and her partner while not being church going people both believe evolution is bullshit, god exists, and the earth is 6000 years old.

My mum told me how when she went on holiday with my aunt, her partner, and my cousin, her daughter, who is a botanist, they had a talk around table, and it was literally like creationism vs rational thinking, my aunt and her partner both arguing that evolution is shit, while my mum and cousin, both who follow rational thinking, were dumb struck by the stuff they were saying. I just feel sorry for my cousin, whos an intelligent woman, having her mother tell her that her belief in evolution is bullshit.

Aside from that, and my other cousin (the first ones sister) who a spiritual psychic who makes money from doing readings and meditation for people (yeah, seems only one person in that family advanced beyond the 19th century) I don't otherwise have any crackpots in my family.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Poison Tree

Oh facebook! Yesterday 4 facebook friends (I have less then 100 total) all posted the same crap video. I only bothered to reply to one of them (should have copied/pasted to the rest) because I had already wasted too much time trying to explain to a 5th friend how no, the government is not going to force everyone to get Mark-of-the-Beast-Microchips* as part of Obama-care. Sometimes I think about unfriending them but that would increase my echo-chamber and theirs--not that it matters, they clearly don't bother to read contradictory replies anyway.

*a registered trademark of the Democratic party, a subsidiary of Satan Corps, llc.
"Observe that noses were made to wear spectacles; and so we have spectacles. Legs were visibly instituted to be breeched, and we have breeches" Voltaire�s Candide

PickelledEggs

Facebook...... my necessary evil...

I have so many connections on there (from networking through it) that are so DUMB with their bombardment of bullshit posts from "Spirit Science" and "Jesus Today" and all that related crap. It got to the point that I just unfollowed most of them and stopped friending people that I don't know. I have over 1,000 "friends" on there and they all post something stupid. I even have scientologists post shit.... which I never thought I would actually see someone that believes that horse shit. (one of them is cute though and she doesn't post too much stuff about it... I think I've seen her only post one thing the entire time I've been connected with her)

Actually come to think of it..... I wonder how many of them are frosty...... :think: :confused: