News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

TWO HOURS?!?!?!

Started by Nam, July 24, 2014, 01:11:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shiranu

QuoteWould You run?

That would be the wisest option, yes. If a foreign army was to the point they were killing people in our cities then we are fucked anyways. Better to survive on the run than kill 1 or 2 of them before they wipe out you and your family.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Shiranu on August 05, 2014, 04:05:59 PM
That would be the wisest option, yes. If a foreign army was to the point they were killing people in our cities then we are fucked anyways. Better to survive on the run than kill 1 or 2 of them before they wipe out you and your family.
Better to live on your knees than die on your feet? Gotcha. Stay out of the way if something like that happens.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

aitm

straying a little off topic I believe, The death penalty folks. Stay focused.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Mermaid

Quote from: pioteir on August 05, 2014, 03:38:54 PMThe question is What would You do if some foreign army marched straight into Your town and started killing people? Would You give up and die in peace? Would You run? Would You fight them to protect Yourself and loved ones?
I just said I would kill someone in self defense, and that I do not think that is morally right, but it's what I would do.
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Mermaid on August 05, 2014, 06:03:18 PM
I just said I would kill someone in self defense, and that I do not think that is morally right, but it's what I would do.
What would be immoral about it?
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Mermaid

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on August 05, 2014, 07:10:05 PM
What would be immoral about it?
It is my opinion that is immoral. I think it's morally wrong to take the life of another person.
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Mermaid on August 05, 2014, 07:11:08 PM
It is my opinion that is immoral. I think it's morally wrong to take the life of another person.
You would allow someone to kill you on principles? (Sorry, misread your post.)

Killing someone who is trying to kill you isn't immoral.
PZ Myers

Mermaid

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on August 05, 2014, 07:42:34 PM
You would allow someone to kill you on principles?
Of course not. What is the purpose of this question?

Nam

Quote from: pioteir on August 05, 2014, 03:38:54 PM
Where do you get off by saying that killing is ALWAYS wrong? Like there are some universal objective truths or whatever.

Where did I say killing is always wrong?

QuoteThe invading troops wouldn't care less about how You feel. The question is What would You do if some foreign army marched straight into Your town and started killing people? Would You give up and die in peace? Would You run? Would You fight them to protect Yourself and loved ones?

This isn't about what "I" would do. This is about the standards of morality posed by society, and, from my point-of-view, how hypocritical they are.

-Nam
Mad cow disease...it's not just for cows, or the mad!

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Mermaid on August 05, 2014, 07:43:39 PM
Of course not. What is the purpose of this question?
I added a note. My computer is posting before I'm done typing. Stupid thing need a bullet to the head.
PZ Myers

Gawdzilla Sama

As a combat veteran I can say with some confidence that one never knows what they'll do in a life-and-death situation until they've been in one, and that attitude doesn't necessarily convey to the next time.
PZ Myers

Mermaid

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on August 05, 2014, 07:42:34 PM
You would allow someone to kill you on principles? (Sorry, misread your post.)

Killing someone who is trying to kill you isn't immoral.
Haha, no problem. I was wondering.

I think it is immoral. That is just my opinion. I would do it, but it would mess me up terribly in the head.

Mermaid

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on August 05, 2014, 07:56:29 PM
As a combat veteran I can say with some confidence that one never knows what they'll do in a life-and-death situation until they've been in one, and that attitude doesn't necessarily convey to the next time.
As the victim of a violent crime, I will back you up on that.

Shiranu

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on August 05, 2014, 05:19:31 PM
Better to live on your knees than die on your feet? Gotcha. Stay out of the way if something like that happens.

No, it is better to live on your feet than die on your knees, which is what throwing your life away at an enemy army that you stand zero chance against would be. All you would be  is another number on their papers, as would be the one or two guys you managed to kill. That's REALLY sticking it to the man....

:roll:

I'll take surviving to fight another day over dying for nothing. If that makes me a coward, then your priorities are a little fucked.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Shiranu on August 05, 2014, 08:02:05 PM
No, it is better to live on your feet than die on your knees, which is what throwing your life away at an enemy army that you stand zero chance against would be. All you would be  is another number on their papers, as would be the one or two guys you managed to kill. That's REALLY sticking it to the man....

:roll:

I'll take surviving to fight another day over dying for nothing. If that makes me a coward, then your priorities are a little fucked.
Or you're just a coward.
PZ Myers