News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Bret Maverick Dies

Started by SGOS, July 20, 2014, 10:36:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SGOS

http://news.msn.com/pop-culture/police-movie-tv-legend-james-garner-dies

James Garner played Bret Maverick back in the 50s.  It is the first TV series I can remember in my life where I set aside a night dedicated to watching a TV show.  While he had a long career as an movie star, Maverick was the role I always associated him with.

Solitary

After John Wayne Westerns, it was nice to see a Western where the hero didn't want to fight if he didn't have to, and used his head. Also, Maverick had a lot of comedy in it. Great show from a real conservative!  :eek: He! He! Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

SGOS

Quote from: Solitary on July 20, 2014, 10:56:18 AM
After John Wayne Westerns, it was nice to see a Western where the hero didn't want to fight if he didn't have to, and used his head. Also, Maverick had a lot of comedy in it. Great show from a real conservative!  :eek: He! He! Solitary
Yeah, I like the way the point of the character was to outsmart his foes.  As the article said, "It provided a breath of fresh air to the notion that Western heroes had to be tough guys who won their objectives with iron fists."  At the time, it really was a unique concept.

aitm

not only that, but he was genuinely a nice guy.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

AllPurposeAtheist

Oh damned, and here I though it was Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones's alter ego dead.
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Mister Agenda

I'm sorry to hear it. Mid-eighties is a good run, even these days. He was a good guy. One of the few white faces at Dr. King's March on Washington.
Atheists are not anti-Christian. They are anti-stupid.--WitchSabrina

Solitary

Did you know in real life he was a talented enough race driver that when he did Grand Prix movie he was a natural at it and considered that he could have been a real racer by Formula One drivers that were in it?
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

SGOS

Quote from: Solitary on August 25, 2014, 01:54:34 PM
Did you know in real life he was a talented enough race driver that when he did Grand Prix movie he was a natural at it and considered that he could have been a real racer by Formula One drivers that were in it?
Yeah, now that you bring it up, I do recall his racecar days.