News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Ask a Catholic

Started by CatholicCrusader, July 19, 2014, 08:37:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hakurei Reimu

Quote from: CatholicCrusader on July 24, 2014, 03:18:49 PM
I'm just a human being who is not all knowing and don't have any superpowers..
Apparently, "knowing your own religion" is a superpower. Please note that you started this thread as a Q&A thread, where we would ask about the Catholic church, and you would give reasonably accurate answers. Ie, you set yourself up as some kind of expert on the Catholic church. It apparently didn't occur to you that we would have the background in your own religion to ask rather difficult questions about it, and weren't savvy enough to know that we wouldn't buy into the usual apologetics.

At least I know now that you aren't Azzi; she was well-practiced in her bullshit.
Warning: Don't Tease The Miko!
(she bites!)
Spinny Miko Avatar shamelessly ripped off from Iosys' Neko Miko Reimu

Munch

I'm certain there are enough ex-catholics here anyway who was forced to follow it, but became atheist later.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

doorknob

^^^bingo!

as for me, I'm not offended that CC has come here. Or even that he's trying to preach because I find it slightly amusing. It's a two way street no one has to read his threads if they find it offensive. I personally am a fan of freedom of speech and that includes unpopular speech. I do not feel threatened in the least because there is nothing he or she could say that would convert me. I don't expect them to convert either but I do hope that CC can walk away with some new knowledge or even gain some critical thinking from being here.

but that's my opinion on the matter. Every one is entitled to their own opinions and emotions.

leo

Quote from: Munch on July 24, 2014, 07:02:18 PM
I'm certain there are enough ex-catholics here anyway who was forced to follow it, but became atheist later.
I'm a ex- catholic. I'm very familiar with the bullshit of this silly religion.
Religion is Bullshit  . The winner of the last person to post wins thread .

stromboli

Okay so, I'll be nice. What is your opinion on this thread
http://atheistforums.com/index.php?topic=5797.0

And this thread? Really like to get your comments.
http://atheistforums.com/index.php?topic=5812.0

stromboli

So, 24 hours later give or take, no response. Hmmmmm.......

:popcorn:

Solitary

All it means to be Catholic is that you believe in the God of Scripture interpreted by Catholic scholars that don't know anymore about it than you do, but still call yourself a Catholic, even if you are a hypocrite regarding what they preach.  :naughty: Solitary 
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

stromboli

Catholic Crusader is not going to step up and defend the faith? I am disappoint.

Green Bottle

He cant defend the undefendable , he has no answers to any of the important questions, his brainwashing is complete. :wall: :wall: :wall:
God doesnt exist, but if he did id tell him to ''Fuck Off''

stromboli

I would give the guy credit for at least trying, even if it was just lame apolegetic crap. If he does come back to offer some defense, I would compliment him for it. At least he would be showing some guts. I really hope he comes back and offers something by way of a defense.

Cocoa Beware

Quote from: CatholicCrusader on July 20, 2014, 01:40:04 PM
I like to talk about it but I am sick of of Christian forums. They are gross.  I did however hope that there were more theists and Protestants here at this forum that I could debate with.

I see. At least... Im not as confused.

Around here I dont think we get too many visits from you guys unfortunately; and all too often its the overtly hostile pious types.

But you seem like a nice enough guy and we might get along just fine, provided we suspend our beliefs (or lack thereof)

Still unless you think you can convince Protestants that your faith is superior with a few paragraphs, Im not sure what the point is. Does this method actually work? Are you trying to find new recruits? Do you expect Protestants will have some kind of epiphany? Its all pretty weird to me.

Munch

Quote from: stromboli on July 26, 2014, 07:28:39 PM
I would give the guy credit for at least trying, even if it was just lame apolegetic crap. If he does come back to offer some defense, I would compliment him for it. At least he would be showing some guts. I really hope he comes back and offers something by way of a defense.

yeah, I got to admit even if when a christian or any religious person comes forward with their belief, if they manage to stand their ground and defend their belief system, I can respect it, just because defending anything you believe in, in a setting where nobody is going to back you on it, does take some roots.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

CatholicCrusader

I'm not sure about how to answer the question how old you have to be to not get molested. You can be molested at any age.

if anybody has any questions that I did not answer please remind me of them.

here are my reasons for being Catholic.

Christian s believed in the Sacraments and the Mass for more than 1500 years.The Catholic Church holds to Christs teaching about divorce and remarriage from Luke 16:18 where the vast majority if not all other denominations have gotten rid of this inconvenient teaching.

The Catholic Church has an unbroken chain of Popes that dates back to Peter (2,000 years ago) and never has a Pope spoken ex cathedra and defined a Dogma that contradicted what a previous Pope or Church council defined. I see the consistency and durability of the Church only possible with the blessing of almighty God.Protestant Churches have been around for a few hundred years and they have already compromised on many issues that they use to consider sinful (contraception ,and female priests/pastors/bishops for example) and you can see major changes in what those denominations believe today compared to what the founder of the Denomination believed.

Protestant denominations are man made (have human founders). Try in vain to find the creature that founded Catholicism. That man is God.

The Catholic Church relies on the Church to investigate matters of Heresy and give an authentic understanding of Scripture. It seems people of other denominations take it into their own hands. The former approach is far more humble.Matthew 18:17 says: "If he refuses to listen to them, tell it to the church; and if he refuses to listen even to the church, treat him as you would a pagan or a tax collector."

This is only one of multiple Biblical examples of how the Church is the authority and supreme Court that Christ set up. Without this authority there is Doctrinal anarchy, a lack of widespread discipline, and a Divided Christianity. The Strategy of the Devil is to divide and conquer.Christ didnt leave the early Christians with a Bible. He left them with a Church that put the first Christian Bible together more than 300 years later, so we can say that the Bible (especially the New Testament) is a Catholic book.

The Sola Scriptura (Bible alone) Doctrine and the Faith alone Doctrine were the foundation upon which the Protestant Churches were built, and both of them are self-destructive, because Scripture alone does not define, and is incompatible with both of them. The person person who obeys the Church is being more Biblical than the person who believes the Unbiblical Falsehood that the Church needs to find Scripture to back up every little detail of what it teaches. No where does Scripture say that we can rebel against the Church if we feel teaching X, Y, and Z doesn't add up to our private interpretation of Scripture.

Jesus Christ and the Apostles preached truth that was not contained in or even contradicted the Scriptures of that time, such as the decision to not stone the Adulteress, the decision that the Apostles made at the Council of Jerusalem (Acts 15), the unprecedented status of Gentiles, and love for enemies. This, along with plenty of other Biblical evidence and common sense, goes to show that neither Christ, the Apostles, or early Christians preached a "Bible alone" Doctrine. They did preach obedience to the Church.

Catholic Church is faithful to the Scripture that says all generations shall call Mary Blessed and to deny her the title "Mother of God" is to (perhaps subconsciously) deny the Trinity and the Divinity of Christ.If the Church is not guided by the Holy Spirit, we do know with certainty that the Church was not mistaken in declaring the New Testament Canon of Scripture. If you don't trust Church Authority, that is grounds for not trusting the Bible.

One of many questions the Fathers of Protestantism should have asked themselves is where was Christ's Church for the past 1500 years? Did it up and vanish after Catholicism became the official Religion of the Roman Empire? What about Christ's promise to the Church "I am with you always, to the very end of the age.(Matthew 28:20)" or "the gates of hell shall not prevail against it (the Church)"(Matt 16:18). Would God have let his Church become a false or Pagan Religion? Not according to Scripture which says the Church is the pillar and bulwark of truth.

The Sacrament of Confession is good medicine. It did me far more good receiving the Sacrament of confession and Spiritual direction than it did consulting with others, including professionals who charge an arm and a leg. You can feel free to share what you wouldn't share with anyone, because nothing can be disclosed.

The communion of Saints is appealing because through it we can have a friendship with God's champions and Generals. We benefit from their intercession because they have been perfected, are sinless, and their knowledge of and relationship with God far surpasses that of any members of the Church militant. The greater part of the body of Christ (Church Triumphant) helps out the Church Militant. It also means that if a person was dedicated to the service of God's people and the salvation of souls while on earth he/she can continue to help them while in Heaven.

The Catholic Church is faithful to theThe Doctrine of Purgatory brings much hope as well. A person who dies unworthy of the kingdom of God can reach the first degrees of Christian perfection after being purified. This is important because God's word says "nothing unclean shall enter Heaven" (that would include ten out of ten people in this world) and that we will be purified by fire. Scripture says even the angels are not pure in God's eyes, so thank God for Purgatory!

From what I've seen growing up Protestant, non-Catholic Christianity usually focuses too much on being happy and comfortable in this life. In the Catholic Church there are true warriors like those mentioned in Hebrews 11: 35 "There were others who were tortured, refusing to be released so that they might gain an even better resurrection. 36 Some faced jeers and flogging, and even chains and imprisonment. 37 They were put to death by stoning; they were sawed in two; they were killed by the sword. They went about in sheepskins and goatskins, destitute, persecuted and mistreatedâ€" 38 the world was not worthy of them. They wandered in deserts and mountains, living in caves and in holes in the ground." The Catholic Church has thousands of courageous lovers of the Cross. Some of them like Saint Francis of Assissi, Saint Anthony of Padua, and St. Isaac Jogues traveled to far distant hostile lands, fearlessly willing to embrace martyrdom for love of Christ.

There are Saints who mortified their pride by loving humiliation, crucified their self-will by obedience, conquered sloth by loving physical suffering, extinguished lust by living a life of complete chastity, and overcame anger by loving their enemies. Does admiring any part of God's creation distract you from God? When you walk through a forest, a Desert, or go to the beach and admire the Ocean and the sunset, does that distract you from God or draw you closer? Similarly when you admire people like St Francis, Mother Teresa, John the Baptist, Paul, Moses, Elijah, or the Mother of Jesus who dedicated their lives to serving God and growing in virtue, Does that make you turn away from God - or is it more likely to inspire you into more diligent service of God?

The Church has contemplative branches of people who like John the Baptist own nothing but the sandles on their feet, the robe on their back, live in complete Chastity. They pray and meditate on the law of the Lord unceasingly, and even renounce their will by the vow of obedience. They have completely laid down their lives for Christ and the salvation of souls. I don't see that same dedication in other Denominations. Since Celibacy was mentioned in Scripture as being a calling where one can be dedicated to God with an undivided Heart, I have to wonder why Protestant Church's don't have more celibate clergy.

In my humble opinion, other denominations are just not rationale in their view of suffering. The Catholic Church explained well my biggest stumbling block in believing in God on why this world is so full of despair, suffering, injustice, disease, and death, and how he can bring beauty out of such ugliness (the torture, humiliation, and death of Christ for example) and that such suffering can be very good for us and manifestations of his love for us.It was God's will that the Apostles and the early Church drink from that same cup of bitterness, carry the cross, and follow in the bloody footsteps of Christ either through a red (fatal) or a white (daily) martyrdom. I could never make sense of a Christianity that doesn't preach the Cross.

There is alot in Scripture that is not clear and concise. It seems like some of Scripture, the book of Revelation for example, is designed so that a select few Holy people will have the anointing to understand it. To this day there are many commentaries on Scripture and its meaning that are theoretical/hypothesis.But I found in the writings of the Saints, messages from Church approved Marian apparitions, and messages from our Lord to the mystics, clear concise instructions that apply more to the contemporary culture and are linked to Modern Historical events.

I prefer clear instructions on how to sanctify each day which can be found in certain places within the Bible but,much of the Bible is parables, poetry, and prophecies that people have been arguing and bickering about for thousands of years and continue to do so. That is why the Bible does more good when read in union with the teaching authority that Christ left on earth.

Rejecting this authority has lead to an extremely divided Christianity which is clearly condemned in Scripture. "I appeal to you, brothers, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that all of you agree, and that there be no divisions among you, but that you be united in the same mind and the same judgment"(1 Corinthians 1:10), "If a house is divided against itself, that house cannot stand.(Mark 3:25)"So those are my reasons for becoming Catholic and with a list like that I dont think I'll be leaving the Church anytime soon.

Nam

Quote from: CatholicCrusader on July 30, 2014, 10:57:13 PM
I'm not sure about how to answer the question how old you have to be to not get molested. You can be molested at any age.

if anybody has any questions that I did not answer please remind me of them.

here are my reasons for being Catholic.

Your life story has nothing to do with our questions to you. If you can't answer them, then leave. Don't come in here proselytizing.

And your "life story" tells me, personally, that you wrote that "book" instead of actually contemplating anything we've said.

From day one "we" knew why you were here, it says it in your username.

-Nam
Mad cow disease...it's not just for cows, or the mad!

stromboli

NOBODY GIVES A DAMN ABOUT YOUR LIFE STORY. RESPOND TO THE POSTS.