News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Ridiculous!

Started by Nam, July 19, 2014, 08:25:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gawdzilla Sama

We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Mermaid

Nam, you're fucking with us, right?
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

Nam

Quote from: Jmpty on August 09, 2014, 05:37:53 PM
What is the difference between alcoholism and alcohol abuse?

I have been waiting for you to mention this; you took a little longer than I expected, but I knew you would.

The problem you have here is that alcohol itself is not addictive. You have never shown how it is classified as an addictive drug.

It is not listed anywhere (unless highly one sided) as an addictive drug because it has no addictive compound in it. You keep ignoring that and repetitiously posting links to how one can become addicted to alcohol but never have you shown where it says that alcohol is addictive because it has this addictive compound in it.

Cigarettes are addictive because it has nicotine in it. It's an instant (basically) addiction where your body craves it.

Alcohol only becomes an addiction after a long period of time of ABUSING ITS USE not just by drinking it alone.

You lost a long time ago. Give up.

-Nam

Mad cow disease...it's not just for cows, or the mad!

Mermaid

So what gives here, Nam? Seriously.
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

Nam

Quote from: Mermaid on August 09, 2014, 06:18:34 PM
So what gives here, Nam? Seriously.

What gives?

You people keep on posting links or quoting from whatever that states how peoples tolerance levels become by drinking alcohol, and how people can become addicted to it because of abuse (family, life, society in general) but only after a long time has passed does this "addiction" actually set in. How many people abuse alcohol which you use to link to alcohol being an addictive substance without any evidence showing alcohol itself having an addictive compound in it, or of itself. How genetics play a role but not how alcohol itself is a classified addictive drug but since people are genetically dependent on alcohol somehow that's the same thing.

If I took a drink of beer right now, would I physically crave another one afterward? Would the vast majority of people? No. Because it is not addictive.

-Nam

Mermaid

No, I posted multiple links to peer reviewed medical and scientific journals explaining in biochemical detail how a person gets addicted to ethanol. There is no denying the behavioral component, and that it does take time, but the fact remains that alcohol IS an addictive substance. 

I don't really understand how you are refuting that.

Nam

Quote from: Mermaid on August 09, 2014, 06:06:42 PM
What does "physiological dependence" mean to you?

The first paragraph mentions:

QuoteAlcohol withdrawal syndrome is a set of symptoms that can occur when an individual reduces or stops alcoholic consumption after long periods of use. Prolonged and excessive use of alcohol leads to tolerance and physical dependence.

Sedative-hypnotics, such as alcohol, are well known for their propensity to induce physiological dependence. This dependence is due to alcohol-induced neuro-adaptation. Withdrawal is characterized by neuropsychiatric excitability and autonomic disturbances. Dependence on other sedative-hypnotics can increase the severity of the withdrawal syndrome.

He purposely left that out to make his position correct. He took it out of context.

He's exactly like a Christian in arguing a position.

That's what I think of it.

Sad.

-Nam

Nam

Quote from: Mermaid on August 09, 2014, 06:31:12 PM
No, I posted multiple links to peer reviewed medical and scientific journals explaining in biochemical detail how a person gets addicted to ethanol. There is no denying the behavioral component, and that it does take time, but the fact remains that alcohol IS an addictive substance. 

I don't really understand how you are refuting that.

Yes, HOW A PERSON GETS ADDICTED TO it. Not that alcohol itself is addictive. It's not the same thing.

You keep saying it is.

-Nam

Hijiri Byakuren

Quote from: Mermaid on August 09, 2014, 02:48:20 PM
Okay? So you're saying it's addictive.
In the same way that the internet is addictive? Yeah, sure. Physical addiction? No, fuck off with that shit.
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

Nam

Quote from: Hijiri Byakuren on August 09, 2014, 07:04:26 PM
In the same way that the internet is addictive? Yeah, sure. Physical addiction? No, fuck off with that shit.

Look what they've posted. All of that and none of it says that alcohol is addictive UNLESS the person abuses it, and does it over a long period of time.

-Nam

Jmpty

You can't get addicted to nicotine unless you use it repeatedly. You are a fucking idiot.
???  ??

Mermaid

Quote from: Nam on August 09, 2014, 06:49:33 PM
Yes, HOW A PERSON GETS ADDICTED TO it. Not that alcohol itself is addictive. It's not the same thing.

You keep saying it is.

-Nam
How is it not the same thing? Seriously. Addiction is addiction.

Mermaid

Quote from: Nam on August 09, 2014, 07:25:42 PM
Look what they've posted. All of that and none of it says that alcohol is addictive UNLESS the person abuses it, and does it over a long period of time.

-Nam

Okay, what? You have to use something repeatedly to get addicted. Yeah. Got it. Some things are just faster than others. How does any of that mean alcohol itself isn't addictive?

There is very strong scientific evidence to the contrary. It may take a while, but ethanol is most certainly addictive.

Mermaid

Quote from: Hijiri Byakuren on August 09, 2014, 07:04:26 PM
Sorry?

Nam

Quote from: Jmpty on August 09, 2014, 07:33:02 PM
You can't get addicted to nicotine unless you use it repeatedly. You are a fucking idiot.

Repeatedly in a short period of time, like a month (+/-) as I mentioned. See, if you actually read what I write and not skim or skip you'd understand what I am saying.

But let's take your position for a moment: it takes (average) years of abusing alcohol to become dependent on it, and then have the physiological (with the psychological) dependency.

Now, if someone drinks moderately for years, are they too dependent on alcohol?

Here's a link for you, read the book, you might like it. Hell, if not the entire book just read the preview:

http://www.lakesidemilam.com/alcohol-drug-addiction/under-the-influence/a-guide-to-the-myths-and-realities-of-alcoholism/

Here I'll give you an excerpt:

QuoteMyth: Addiction to alcohol is often psychological.

Reality: Addiction to alcohol is primarily physiological. Alcoholics become addicted because their bodies are physiologically incapable of processing alcohol normally.

Now, before you say, "See, you're wrong and I am right." Read the book.

-Nam