Top 50 Questions Christians Can't Answer

Started by stromboli, July 18, 2014, 11:03:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GSOgymrat

As Mermaid pointed out, this is the problem of evil argument and Christianity can't resolve it to an atheist's satisfaction because the answer always come back to faith that God knows what he is doing, even if we don't. It is a dead end discussion.
Sent from my Windows Phone using Tapatalk.

Nam

Quote from: CatholicCrusader on July 21, 2014, 09:32:46 AM
Did your Dad ever spank you, ground you, tell you couldn't have that toy or an ice cream cone, or send you to bed without supper?

He didn't drown me with millions of other people or say, "Ask and you shall receive" and then add afterward, "...with certain conditions you'll never meet."

-Nam
Mad cow disease...it's not just for cows, or the mad!

Lachish

I have a feeling a Christian could easily answer every single one of those questions...this is the same type of assertions like the 10 questions atheists can't answer.

Hakurei Reimu

Their answers would be lame and unsatisfying. The difference between these questions and the ten questions atheists "can't answer" is that the ten questions atheists "can't answer" are based on misconceptions and are easily dismantled as the loaded questions they are. These questions have forced theologins into unsatisfying weasel answers, because honest answers reveal a bible not worth the paper its printed upon, a clergy that is either lying or hopelessly mistaken, and/or a God diminished in powers or character.
Warning: Don't Tease The Miko!
(she bites!)
Spinny Miko Avatar shamelessly ripped off from Iosys' Neko Miko Reimu

Deidre32

Not so much that they can't answer, but they don't feel it's necessary to prove their faith. I'm a former Christian. Faith trumps reason and you feel that your faith is so strong, you don't need anything else. Scary I once thought this way. :/
The only lasting beauty, is the beauty of the heart. - Rumi

SGOS

Quote from: Deidre32 on September 11, 2014, 08:51:05 AM
Not so much that they can't answer, but they don't feel it's necessary to prove their faith. I'm a former Christian. Faith trumps reason and you feel that your faith is so strong, you don't need anything else. Scary I once thought this way. :/
As a former Christian, what I remember was a lot of advice along the lines of, "Don't think about it too much."  Some of this actually came from authority figures, but much of it was self imposed on my own.  How else are you supposed to deal with the cognitive dissonance?  Instead, I suppose you are supposed to focus on the glory of God's goodness and grace, the afterlife, and how God will punish the sinners.

When you start to sort through the cognitive dissonance, which is limited to a branch of intellect concerned with how do you know this stuff is real, you become distracted by facts and reality.  So you try not to go there.  It will only lead you astray.

Mike Cl

Faith trumps reason.........isn't that the truth!  And that is what is so disturbing about so many of this countries politicians.  They tout their christian hood at every chance they get.  So, for them, faith is what counts and not facts and reason.  That is why all of my discussions with devout christians go nowhere.  Facts have no impact on them--only their faith; for facts must surly come from the devil and are simply a test of their faith.  An atheist or agnostic could never be elected to any post in this country because they would lack 'faith'. 
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Hydra009

Quote from: Mike Cl on September 11, 2014, 09:27:16 AMFaith trumps reason.........isn't that the truth!  And that is what is so disturbing about so many of this countries politicians.  They tout their christian hood at every chance they get.  So, for them, faith is what counts and not facts and reason.  That is why all of my discussions with devout christians go nowhere.  Facts have no impact on them--only their faith; for facts must surly come from the devil and are simply a test of their faith.  An atheist or agnostic could never be elected to any post in this country because they would lack 'faith'.
And yet, when Christians talk about Muslims, their zealous, irrational faith is the first thing to be criticized.

Mister Agenda

Quote from: CatholicCrusader on July 21, 2014, 09:22:55 AM
Why does God allow suffering? Ever read the book of Job?

So your guess is our suffering is because of another bet God made with the devil?
Atheists are not anti-Christian. They are anti-stupid.--WitchSabrina

Mike Cl

Quote from: Hydra009 on September 11, 2014, 10:03:52 AM
And yet, when Christians talk about Muslims, their zealous, irrational faith is the first thing to be criticized.
Isn't that the truth?! What a crock!  but then christians have that H (hypocrite) on their foreheads that appears whenever they open their mouth.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Lachish

Well I met theists who were quite into their own theology, examining every aspect of their faith and applying reason to the observations....they were scientists though so maybe most are different than those.

Deidre32

Quote from: Lachish on September 11, 2014, 07:45:51 PM
Well I met theists who were quite into their own theology, examining every aspect of their faith and applying reason to the observations....they were scientists though so maybe most are different than those.

what observations?

faith is subjective. god's existence can't be proven. so these ''scientists'' were still just wishful thinkers, attempting to apply reason to their fallacy of faith.
The only lasting beauty, is the beauty of the heart. - Rumi

christy starseeker

Quote from: CatholicCrusader on July 21, 2014, 09:32:46 AM
Did your Dad ever spank you, ground you, tell you couldn't have that toy or an ice cream cone, or send you to bed without supper?
Yes,he also beat me senselessly, kicked my head into the door and whipped me for the most minor offenses. So i guess my dad has alot in common with God then huh?