News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

why does God tell lies?

Started by joan of arc, July 18, 2014, 10:07:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Contemporary Protestant

My line of reasoning is that in comparison, i have great life, brain tumors and all, but the question is why isnt it enough, why is everyone wanting more, so there might be more or maybe the world is unreasonable

the_antithesis

"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one. The happiness of credulity is a cheap and dangerous quality of happiness, and by no means a necessity of life.”

― George Bernard Shaw

AllPurposeAtheist

Exactly how does faith help you deal with anything? I have a bad ticker and no amount of prayer is ever going to change that fact. It wouldn't make my heart pump blood any faster or unclog arteries. I've got an arthritic hip, but prayer won't make my hip hurt one iota less. I'll be 55 next week and no amount of prayer will make that not happen.
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Solitary

A couple of years ago I had a pituitary adenoma removed that was pressing on my brain and causing a aneurism in a blood vessel.  I found out I am genetically prone to tumors and cancer, had prostate cancer, as well as strokes, which I have had also. If genetic research hadn't been stopped by religious fanatics thinking it is God's will because we have diseases because of our sins, many genetic diseases would be cured, in fact, many have because of the research. I admire your courage! Please explain how a belief in a God that is all powerful and gave you this disease, and has created a hell, can give you comfort knowing the tumors are after your soul?  Why would you not request a cure if you believe God could do it being all forgiving and loving? My genetic profile shows I will probably die from pancreatic cancer like my mother did, if I thought for even a second that an all loving powerful God would change that fact I would kiss His ass and give him a blowjob.  :eek: :madu: Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

Munch

Quote from: Solitary on July 19, 2014, 01:06:22 PM
A couple of years ago I had a pituitary adenoma removed that was pressing on my brain and causing a aneurism in a blood vessel.  I found out I am genetically prone to tumors and cancer, had prostate cancer, as well as strokes which I have had. If genetic research hadn't been stopped by religious fanatics thinking it is God's will because we have diseases because of our sins, many genetic diseases would be cured, in fact, many have because of the research. I admire your courage! Please explain how a belief in a God that is all powerful and gave you this disease, and has created a hell, can give you comfort knowing the tumors are after your soul?  Solitary

This so much THIS.
The medical world has advanced because it didn't let itself be hindered by religion indoctrination, ones that claimed praying to god was the only method of healing people.
If you want some voodoo mumbo yumbo, have it for some enlightening drug trip to chill out, but leave actually saying peoples lives or giving them a chance to have a happy normal life to those who actually focus on medicine, biology and science, not fucking prayer.

How often have there been stories of parents who let their children die because their belief in god would keep their children safe, and once the child dies they make some bullshit about how god has them now, when the child could have lived if you just brought it to a hospital and let doctors tells you how to keep them safe.

When I was diagnosed at age 2, my mother became the one who would have to inject me with insulin every single day, to watch my blood sugar levels and keep them balanced, to worry all the time about what I ate and what I was doing. She wasn't just my mother she became my guardian angel who didn't just take care of me, she taught me how to take care of myself with my condition.

There was no fucking god there, it was my mother and her love that kept me alive. My father was just a useless old drunk who couldn't process how diabeties worked and never knew anything about how to help me if I had a hypo when growing up, it was all my mum.

Sorry got a bit off track there, but I stand on what I said, medicine and biology has advanced to help people live now BECAUSE it ignored religion. 
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Nam

Quote from: Contemporary Protestant on July 19, 2014, 11:16:00 AM
I would need comfort for other things, i suffer from depression, the meds dont seem to help much be ause it all still seems pointless

Dude, you just dodged twice in a row. Answer the fucking question.

-Nam
Mad cow disease...it's not just for cows, or the mad!

AllPurposeAtheist

Hey, Darryl Strawberry is now a faith healer.. Go see the former addict..
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Nam

Quote from: AllPurposeAtheist on July 19, 2014, 02:21:47 PM
Hey, Darryl Strawberry is now a faith healer.. Go see the former addict..

Dude, I saw a pic of him once with a shitload of white powder on his face. Funny thing is, he shot up.

:wink:

-Nam
Mad cow disease...it's not just for cows, or the mad!