News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Thor's a Woman!

Started by Nam, July 15, 2014, 06:45:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hijiri Byakuren

Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

Hydra009

Quotethe former male Thor, who is no longer worthy to wield Mjolnir.

Hakurei Reimu

Marvel...
Just...
Ugh...
Fuck...
Warning: Don't Tease The Miko!
(she bites!)
Spinny Miko Avatar shamelessly ripped off from Iosys' Neko Miko Reimu

Nam

THIS JUST IN!!!

WOLVERINE WILL BECOME A SOMOAN TRANSGENDERED ATHEIST:

http://blogs.sfweekly.com/thesnitch/2014/07/marvel_comics_reveals_new_wolv.php

QuoteShe goes by "James Howlett" at the gay bars
New York -- After recent announcements that by 2015 Thor will be a woman, Captain America will be an African American, and Iron Man will move to San Francisco and redesign his armor to look like an Apple device, Marvel Comics issued a stunning new announcement about its most popular character this week.
"Beginning next year, Wolverine will -- once he comes back to life -- be a transgender Samoan atheist whose bones are made out of 100 percent recycled metal," said Marvel's Executive Editor Tom Brevoort. "S/he will dedicate ze's awesome mutant powers to the fight against microaggression."

This, Marvel Editor Will Moss said, "isn't a gimmick. This isn't a temporary twist or a replacement 'trans-Asian-athiest' Wolverine. This is the real Wolverine, just the way fans have always loved zhim: a complex anti-hero who won't rest until all of America composts."

The move has been controversial. Outraged fans flooded Marvel's Facebook page after the announcement, declaring that it just didn't make any sense for the immortal mutant samurai/berserker with unbreakable metal bonded to his skeleton to be a Pacific Islander.

"How is that rational?" asked comic blogger Sam Duggins. "To take a tightly conceived character like that, with no plot holes, and just change his ethnicity, makes the whole thing seem highly improbable."

"Stop making all these continuity changes!" agreed fan Bob Brusk, on Facebook. "Only Dr. Strange, should have that kind of awesome power."

Marvel comics fan Eliot Smith "liked" that comment, and added that while Dr. Strange would have the ability to alter Wolverine's gender identity, he never would. "That's what a moral code means," Smith said. "With great power comes great responsibility.

For Marvel to just change its characters like that as part of some misguided 'diversity' agenda -- it make me think they never learned the moral lesson of being bitten by a radioactive spider."

But not all comic lovers agreed. According to San Francisco comic store owner Todd Baily, Marvel recently revealed that Dr. Strange received his doctorate from an unaccredited university, and therefore isn't able to perform gender re-assignment magic.

That's right, said Joe Quesada, Marvel's chief Creative Officer. "We felt there was a need to reach out to people who didn't attend accredited collages," Quesada explained. "There are millions of Americans attending shitty for-profit colleges, and they're completely unrepresented in comic books. We hope Dr. Strange can represent them as he struggles to get a job with the Fantastic Four but can't even get them to look at his resume because he went to an online school."

That's good enough for Baily. "I don't understand why we're even arguing," Baily said. "What's important is that a whole new generation of young people are being introduced to beloved comic book characters who have withstood the test of time: like Autistic Daredevil, Professor STEM, and Samuel L. Jackson."

Quesada agreed that this is a lot of fuss about nothing. "Jesus Christ, people. It's just a gimmick. It's not like we're hiring minority writers."

I hear Wonder Woman's really a hotdog.

-Nam
Mad cow disease...it's not just for cows, or the mad!

Notthesun

I think you all are taking this way too seriously. I think it's awesome. Assuming they just changed Thor's gender as you all thought before, I think that's awesome too. Either works. I think it's great for young kids. Especially young girls who have no huge superhero in the Avengers. You're all getting worked up over Thor being a woman? Really? It's not stupid in any way. It's a fucking comic book, and in the comic world shit can change. I take it you guys are crazy mad when they change the race of a hero or would go crazy if they made Wolverine gay. Oh god.
Poster formerly known as Sky;Walker.

His life rushes onward in such torrential rhythm that only angels and devils can catch the tempo of it.

Hakurei Reimu

The problem is that comic books keep messing with their established characters that we have grown to love in completely asspull ways, such that they reveal that the only thing the corporate creators are after is money. Marvel is doing this to Thor to boost sales. Not to tell more interesting stories, not to develop their character, to boost sales. It shows a crass disregard for both the character and us, and it shows their creative bankruptcy when they mess with characters in this way.

Yes, profit is always the motive behind corporate creativity, but they could at least hide it better.
Warning: Don't Tease The Miko!
(she bites!)
Spinny Miko Avatar shamelessly ripped off from Iosys' Neko Miko Reimu

Nam

Quote from: Notthesun on July 23, 2014, 06:14:12 AM
I think you all are taking this way too seriously. I think it's awesome. Assuming they just changed Thor's gender as you all thought before, I think that's awesome too. Either works. I think it's great for young kids. Especially young girls who have no huge superhero in the Avengers. You're all getting worked up over Thor being a woman? Really? It's not stupid in any way. It's a fucking comic book, and in the comic world shit can change. I take it you guys are crazy mad when they change the race of a hero or would go crazy if they made Wolverine gay. Oh god.

I don't really read comics. In saying that, Thor has been a guy for quite awhile, probably since the second century.

Granted Marvel's Thor is loosely based on the Norse Thor but the Marvel Thor's been around more than 50 years, and there are many Norse goddesses to choose from; why not Freya?

-Nam

Moralnihilist

So long as they don't fuck with Deadpool
Science doesn't give a damn about religions, because "damns" are not measurable units and therefore have no place in research. As soon as it's possible to detect damns, we'll quantize perdition and number all the levels of hell. Until then, science doesn't care.

StupidWiz

While they're at it, could they make Scott Summers gay or at least bisexual? It'd be amazing if they did. After all this time with Jean Grey and Emma, he finally realized that deep inside he's longing for a guy's embrace. :P
... To teach superstitions as truths is the most terrible thing. The child mind accepts and believes them, and only through great pain and perhaps tragedy can they be in after years relieved of them. - Hypatia

Mister Agenda

Quote from: Notthesun on July 23, 2014, 06:14:12 AM

It's stupid in one way: Thor is the dude's first name. If he got changed into a woman her name would still be Thor. You don't get someone's actual name when you get their powers, that doesn't even make sense. Black Captain America? No problem, Captain America is the name of the 'superhero identity'. You become the superhero, you get the name. But Sam Wilson doesn't get to start calling himself Steve because he's swinging the shield. No issue with the woman having the hammer, the power, or starring in the Thor comic, but she simply isn't Thor.

The problem with Wolverine suddenly being gay is that it violates his history and character. He's not the kinda guy who would be in the closet about being gay. He might be bisexual leaning towards women but occasionally swinging the other way, I suppose.
Atheists are not anti-Christian. They are anti-stupid.--WitchSabrina

Nam

Quote from: Moralnihilist on July 23, 2014, 07:53:53 AM
So long as they don't fuck with Deadpool

I did read somewhere that minor characters, like Deadpool (minor in the sense that they aren't center stage) will become eunuchs of some sort, tranvestites, and pedopheliac priests/nuns.

Just kidding.

:smile:

-Nam

Hydra009

Quote from: Notthesun on July 23, 2014, 06:14:12 AMI think you all are taking this way too seriously. I think it's awesome.
This is not an "awesome" development, this an incredibly lazy way of introducing a "new" character.  Instead of actually coming up with a unique female hero (or adapting one of the many shield maidens from Norse lore to comic format), they just rule 63 an existing character, apparently turning the guy's name into a title in the process.  Oh, and to make room for her, they took the titular hero - a guy who has saved the world dozens of times - and made him no longer worthy to hold the weapon that he was practically born to wield.  Dafuq.

To eat up this sort of bottom-of-the-barrel creativity is to praise a turd.

QuoteI think it's great for young kids. Especially young girls who have no huge superhero in the Avengers.
Except for the Wasp, Scarlet Witch, Ms Marvel, Black Widow, She-Hulk, Invisible Woman, Spider-Woman, Storm, or Rogue.  All were Avengers at some point in time.

QuoteYou're all getting worked up over Thor being a woman? Really? It's not stupid in any way. It's a fucking comic book, and in the comic world shit can change.
*sigh*  Everyone already knows that and no one's actually against change because it's change.  But if you're going to change things, do it in a way that makes at least a little sense.  Bare minimum.  That's all people are asking.

Hydra009

Quote from: StupidWiz on July 23, 2014, 08:41:20 AMSo long as they don't fuck with Deadpool
He's cured of cancer, converts to Buddhism, and renounces his mercenary life and jokey personality.  To give the Buddhist audience someone to look up to or some shit.  And if his fans don't like it, tough.  It's a comic book and stuff can change.  Duh!

Gawdzilla Sama

We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Munch

Maybe marvel is trying to self destruct? Maybe this is them trying to leave a dent in disneys profit margin?

Either way, I'm glad I stopped reading comics.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin