News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

The NES Project

Started by Naru, March 23, 2014, 07:56:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Naru

I have 2 NES system one is broken and I have a desktop computer with an ITX mobo in it which I'm not doing anything with. My idea is to gut out the broken NES and mount the mobo into the nes and make it a ROM system which will have all NES, SNES and Sega roms in it.

In the next week or so Im going to get started and post pics of the project.

the_antithesis

You could do that, I suppose. I'd been thinking about this sort of thing myself and would rather an NES emulator console be just the controller. They have things like this:

The NES is that thing that looks like a N64 controller. It even has a cart slot underneath.

Using these small computers, like the Raspberry Pi, it should be easy enough to get a whole computer in a NES controller with bluetooth connection to the TV or something like that.

Personally, I don't really like the look of the NES. It's just a grey box, really. I don't see the need for the console, except as a box that can hold the controllers. Make it a hinged lid thing. It could also hold the TV remote.

If I were to learn electrons enough to do this sort of thing, I would turn one of those Atari Flashbacks into a emulator console. I think the Atari 2600 has a more distinctive look. That may be just me.

Hijiri Byakuren

Quote from: the_antithesis on March 24, 2014, 02:54:20 PM
Heh, I used to have something like that. I think it's still buried in my garage somewhere.
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

PickelledEggs

Ohhhh. I'm excited to see the progress on this. I'm down to 1 N64 controller and was looking to do the same thing. I'll follow your lead

Sent from the land of pizza.

Naru

Friday I'm going to get started with the project.

Naru

Finally I found a nice NES system which isnt dis-colored. Going to start gutting the parts out and layout the mobo.

wolf39us

awesome!  I hope some of it is done by the time I come up there!

Naru

Quote from: wolf39us on May 01, 2014, 08:19:11 PM
awesome!  I hope some of it is done by the time I come up there!

It should be done by then

Naru

I been doing some research on a few different ideas for the NES project. I found out Intel skylake will be coming out next year (Hopefully Q2). While using a 14 nanometer die

I would be able to make a very small but powerfully machine that runs under a 100 watts of power.