Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Post Funny Videos

Started by wolf39us, February 20, 2013, 01:18:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Cl

Quote from: Hydra009 on September 30, 2022, 08:02:13 PM

I blame 90s movies for my messed-up sense of humor
Yeah, your humor is messed up!  Which is why I like it so much! :)  And I do miss Gary Larson so very much (The Far Side) !!  So I will say--good for the 90s movies!!
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Hydra009

I was just explaining to my brother why we both find stuff like this so funny.

A big chunk of humor is stuff that we would expect to be incredibly harmful but turns out to not truly be harmful. (a specific kind of subverted expectations)

There's a reason why slapstick revolves around people falling on their butts or taking a pie to the face or otherwise being roughed up or embarrassed.  None of that is truly harmful.

Take the "reassuring" plane safety video that stokes people's worst fears.  But it's just imaginary in this case, so it's funny rather than horrifying.

Deadpool is a treasure trove of physical comedy because whenever he gets hurt, he heals, so it's not true harm.

Or here's one straight off the dome: being surrounded by a pack of wolves and tackled by one seemingly on the attack only to reveal that it was just an affectionate hug.  Subverted harm!

drunkenshoe

'Funny' doesn't have anything to do with being harmless. It's just about distance. Doesn't matter what the joke is about; an identity, disaster, natural trait, a situation... if it is not related to the consumer, it's funny for them. Something that feels harmful for the most, doesn't feel that way for some people. Also, conditioning works.   

For example, rape or sexual abuse jokes are funny for most males because they are not used to perceive it from their gender's perception, while it's not the case. On the other hand, it is funny for the ones who can perceive it from the both ways because, well, it's just a joke, nothing real. It's just too distant to be real.
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Hydra009

Hydra009

Hydra009

Hydra009

What it sounds like in my house when I'm printing something but running low on toner and my friend brings her potbellied pig and we're watching Big Bang Theory and a flock of Canada geese are nearby:

Hydra009

My favorites are the ones where you get in a 6-12 person team and everyone has their own individual map loading bars, so you get to see the slowest person's loading bar load extra slowly, and I imagine that they're on a farm in southern Wyoming and get their internet through a literal string tied to a windmill with an antenna on top and a feral cat keeps pawing at the string as newspapers are delivered from an old rusted pickup truck finally informing the sleepy hamlet that Dewey did not in fact win the election.

Other times, I imagine that some apocalypse happened in Detroit (hard to tell, though) but not before someone booted up the game and joined the squad, so some broken, ruined flatscreen TV is slowly loading the map with my frustrated messages scrolling down the screen.  We slowly pan out and there is a scene of absolute carnage that makes Fallout look like Blue's Clues as people run for their lives in panic.

I have something of an imagination and it almost never creeps out my psychiatrist.

Blackleaf

A totally accurate summary of how Christianity invented morality, culture, and family values.

"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Hydra009

Hydra build: put all your points in CON!

GSOgymrat

In the spirit of Halloween.

GSOgymrat

A "scientific" explanation for why I don't want kids.

Hydra009

Blackleaf

Turns out, Mr. Bean is a god-level threat. lol
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Shiranu

It's too early for this, but...

"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur