News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Post Funny Videos

Started by wolf39us, February 20, 2013, 01:18:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hydra009

Let's be real: either wizards are so detached and isolationist that regular people will almost never see them in their entire life or they're running the show.  Only two options.

Third option: magic is widespread but kinda weak so it only gives practitioners a slight edge, but even then you just know someone's going to juice it up and cause a catastrophe.

drunkenshoe

Quote from: Hydra009 on February 28, 2023, 09:42:41 AMLet's be real: either wizards are so detached and isolationist that regular people will almost never see them in their entire life or they're running the show.  Only two options.

Third option: magic is widespread but kinda weak so it only gives practitioners a slight edge, but even then you just know someone's going to juice it up and cause a catastrophe.

Obviously, it's for a laugh and I haven't watched the video, just wanted to write about it.

Magic is an inherent gift of the race of the people in HP universe. They're born as witches or wizards, they don't become witches and wizards. On the other hand, in general fantasy, these characters are most often humans and they become; work/study hard, and even sacrifice big to become what they are. Actually, the best examples of the genre are about the stories of process of becoming a witch or a wizard rather than the mature wizards we coincide in the stories.

Ordinary people in fantasy worlds -doesn't matter from what race- generally don't share the powers or the knowledge that witches or wizards have, and well they don't like them. Why would they? It's simple. (It's even worse than superheroes.) They're too powerful. They can defy nature's or humans' rules easily, become immortal, and more, because of their abilities, they're often not even subjected to common rules. An evil wizard can do unimaginable things to a weaker being, worse than dead. So people just tolerate when there is a need, but the rest of the time they're scared of them. Well, obviously ordinary people don't need much from wizards, but the previous situation is still valid.   

In HP universe, the societies of witches and wizards are extremely tough and it has very harsh rules, they're like laws. (It's usually the first and most sensible point of criticism these series face.) This has multiple reasons, but besides the obvious, the most important one is that these people do not have a cultural aptitude to develop any kind of technology as muggles do and able to do everything themselves. So they're in general pretty powerful. If you don't need to invent vehicles to travel, weaponry to kill, and machinery to get things done...etc. you don't get to evolve in that way. Not can't but won't. On the other hand a child in that society -and certainly among muggles- is obviously quite dangerous, and themself in extreme danger considering just the natural circumstances they get born into. As a result, their personality as individuals, character as a whole society is pretty different and odd. Their relationship with oneself, and with each other is very different than what muggles have.

I don't like the lady who wrote the series. (I don't know, nor care about the latest squabble in media. I've just never warmed up to her, and I've read this when she was writing it.) But her premise(s) is pretty good and the world she created is consistent in itself and then some. So when I see something like that it feels like the "Why didn't they get to the Mount Doom by Eagles to throw the ring?" stuff. LOL

I mean the best answer to the specific question here actually is just 'because she wrote it that way'. LOL.

"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Hydra009

Hydra009

Me trying to teach literally anyone a card game or board game:

Star Realms: Basic deckbuilder.  You start out with a deck containing kinda crummy cards, but your deck does get better over time and I'll show you how.  You draw 5 cards, play ALL of them (you always play ALL of them) - some cards give you currency, some give you health, some deal damage to your opponent.  Basically, you play all your cards, do whatever the cards say, and with whatever currency you have left you can buy any of the face-up cards on the table, then put everything you played/bought in the discard, which eventually gets shuffled back in your deck.

Simple.  Takes like 2 minutes to explain.  For the life of me, I can't get a third person to play who knows to play ALL the cards, calculate the effects (it's literally 3rd grade math), and put everything in the discard afterwards.

Board game: Terraforming Mars.  Alright, this one's kinda complicated.  But at its most basic, essentially all we're doing is taking turns playing cards.  First you pay the card's cost and then you just do whatever the card says.  A lot of cards either give you more resources or generate more of a resource every turn.  The second option is best long-term, but the first is nice for a short-term boost.

So...let's see how you're doing.  Catatonic while caressing the silver pieces.  And now you're asking if it's your turn.  It's been your turn for the last 40 minutes if you know, you wanna play any cards or anything.

Cassia

The comments are a riot.

Hydra009

Sometimes, you just gotta pool your resources together in a classless society.  But don't put labels on it, or it'll weird some people out.

drunkenshoe

Doesn't everyone 'tap' the watermelon? People kinda almost spank it with open palm. It has this accurate sound telling it's good... 

"...How to defeat a carrot at unarmed combat ..."
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Hydra009

Quote from: drunkenshoe on March 05, 2023, 04:59:33 PMDoesn't everyone 'tap' the watermelon? People kinda almost spank it with open palm. It has this accurate sound telling it's good...
Yes.  And also slap bags of rice.  And before you use tongs, you have to do a test pinch first, it's the law.

drunkenshoe

Quote from: Hydra009 on March 05, 2023, 09:25:24 PMYes.  And also slap bags of rice.  And before you use tongs, you have to do a test pinch first, it's the law.

Why do we slap the rice bag?

Hydra009

Quote from: drunkenshoe on March 06, 2023, 12:38:27 AMWhy do we slap the rice bag?
Fun sound and feeling, plus we don't often get a chance to slap things that won't either hurt us or be hurt by us in the interaction.  Also, definitely a monkey-brain instinct.

drunkenshoe

LOL Hmm. Palming, and squeezing it slowly but strongly could feel better. It would be like massaging inside the palm.

drunkenshoe

Unbeliever

God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Hydra009