Effective Field Theory Made Simple

Started by josephpalazzo, June 03, 2014, 07:59:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

josephpalazzo

Not included in this blog but required is some knowledge of thermodynamics and contour integration.  Just to give a perspective on this topic, twenty years ago, EFT was found in some section of a chapter in QFT. Today, in some universities, you will find a full semester course on this subject, a testimony of how much in importance EFT has grown. In this blog I show that a quantum effective field = a classical field + 1st order quantum correction. More generally, any theory A in high energy can be broken down to a theory B in lower energy plus some correction orders. For instance, not knowing a quantum gravity theory at Planck scale ( 1019GeV) still allows us to do QFT at lower energy ( LHC at 103GeV).

Effective Field Theory Made Simple

Any comments would be appreciated.

stromboli

josephpalazzo

Quote from: stromboli on June 03, 2014, 11:25:31 AM
Simple to who?

It's simple in comparison to any website or textbook you will find on that topic.

I understand that this stuff is not easy: few people know calculus, and an even fewer people know calculus with complex number. But that kind of math is absolutely necessary in doing physics at a certain level. The interesting part of EFT is that by a simple Wick's rotation (t â†' âˆ'iÏ,, ) that is, turning time into a complex number, you get the wonderful result I've mentioned in the OP.

Hakurei Reimu

:confused:(*pop* fshhhh) :eyes:

Sorry, this miko has executed an illegal operation and will be shut down. Please contact your service provider for assistance and mount a scratch miko.
Warning: Don't Tease The Miko!
(she bites!)
Spinny Miko Avatar shamelessly ripped off from Iosys' Neko Miko Reimu

josephpalazzo

Quote from: Hakurei Reimu on June 03, 2014, 05:11:40 PM
:confused:(*pop* fshhhh) :eyes:

Sorry, this miko has executed an illegal operation and will be shut down. Please contact your service provider for assistance and mount a scratch miko.

EFT says:

IPS(higher MB/s) = IPS (lower MB/s) + 1st order correction.