News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Serious Question!

Started by bamaboydylan, June 29, 2014, 02:12:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PickelledEggs

Well, you got one thing right. You don't have more evidence than anyone else. In fact I would say you have much less evidence than most.

Anyway, good night. I have work to do tomorrow.

Sent from your mom

PickelledEggs

Quote from: bamaboydylan on June 29, 2014, 04:49:02 AM
Dude you know what I mean. It's a possible explanation for the world's existence. Who cares the technical word for it is...you know what I mean. Also you just avoided everything in that post.
I didn't avoid anything. Your argument is invalid and I pointed that out. I already told you that there is overwhelming evidence that contradicts your claim. And I gave you an example.

Later. Have fun with the rest of the heathens with no reason to live. I'm one of the nicer ones on here.

Sent from your mom

stromboli

Quote from: bamaboydylan on June 29, 2014, 02:33:15 AM
Oh trust me, I'm not going to Bible thump. That's not what I'm here for. Stromboli, the reason I don't kill myself is because I believe that is a sin and I have no desire to be dead...I enjoy life. Wouldn't that be a better question to ask you atheist though?
Do you guys fear death?

But you said life is pointless. Now you say you enjoy life. Which religion and what god do you believe in? There are thousands. How do you know you believe the right one?

SGOS

Quote from: Jason78 on June 29, 2014, 02:29:23 AM
No it isn't. [a choice]
I'm surprised it took 7 replies before someone pointed this out.

GrinningYMIR

Managing to piss off pickel is an achievement my christian companion. You win today's "dickhead award"

Look, dude hope is one thing it keeps you going and whatnot, but like Stromboli said if all that keeps you alive is the belief that having a good afterlife will most certainly come after you die, then what's the pint of living?

What's the point of existence if you're just going to live for a while and then die and then go to another place for all of eternity? Is it some sort of a warm up period or something? Why not eliminate the middle man and go straight to eternity? If this was your gods plan then:

God all of a sudden sounds like someone trying to fix a toaster by bashing another toaster into it. Doesn't really enhance the confidence there buddy

Oh and one other thing, we deal with theists and Christians and Muslims on a weekly basis, sometimes daily. At first we were polite and gave them their time, hoping to show the understanding they don't really give us. In reciprocation we were given the same arguments over and over

Insulted with the same insults over and over, and dealt with the same kind of people over and over and over.

The majority of us are sick of people shoving their beliefs at us and would rather you just try to convert a rock, a potato, or some ants to whatever religion that you are part of
"Human history is a litany of blood shed over differing ideals of rulership and afterlife"<br /><br />Governor of the 32nd Province of the New Lunar Republic. Luna Nobis Custodit

Hakurei Reimu

Quote from: bamaboydylan on June 29, 2014, 03:49:18 AM
Where is all the proof of evolution?
The genetic evidence, taxonomic evidence, fossil evidence, etc all point towards the same tree of common descent.

Didn't Darwin himself say that his theory is absurd when it comes to complexity of our bodies and world?
A lie generated from quotes taken out of context by creationists.

I'm not here to throw the Bible in anyone's face, but I am here to make you realize that atheist have no right to claim their belief as 100% fact than do Christians.
Yahweh is indeed 100% false. The feats attributed to him have never occurred.

Quote from: bamaboydylan on June 29, 2014, 04:12:50 AM
Why is it that atheist always bash Christians for Bible thumping and throwing our beliefs on you and yet in reality that's what you are doing. I am just asking simple questions that you are refusing to answer.
You're the one who came to us, not the other way around.
Warning: Don't Tease The Miko!
(she bites!)
Spinny Miko Avatar shamelessly ripped off from Iosys' Neko Miko Reimu

Icarus

Quote from: bamaboydylan on June 29, 2014, 02:33:15 AM
Oh trust me, I'm not going to Bible thump. That's not what I'm here for. Stromboli, the reason I don't kill myself is because I believe that is a sin and I have no desire to be dead...I enjoy life. Wouldn't that be a better question to ask you atheist though?
Do you guys fear death?

If you enjoy life, why did you way it was pointless without god? If you enjoy something, doesn't that give it meaning? Such confusing statements.

Hijiri Byakuren

Why is it that atheist always bash Christians for Bible thumping and throwing our beliefs on you and yet in reality that's what you are doing. I am just asking simple questions that you are refusing to answer.
Pot, meet kettle. Atheists can't so much as put up a sign advertising our existence without attracting criticism, but evangelicals can put up huge fucking billboards saying "You're all gonna burn for eternity!" and no one bats an eye.
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

Hijiri Byakuren

Quote from: bamaboydylan on June 29, 2014, 04:29:30 AM
This just proves all I'm trying to say. Evolution requires just as much faith as Creation does.
Not knowing the "why" doesn't mean we don't know the "what." Humans have known an awful lot of "whats" throughout history, and it's only relatively recently that we've started uncovering any of the "whys." We know from the microwave background radiation the approximate age of the universe, and we know the universe is expanding; more than enough to reach the conclusion that the Big Bang happened. We don't need to know why it happened to know that it happened.

I don't expect you to actually absorb any of this, you seem to only be here to proselytize.
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

Johan

Why is it that atheist always bash Christians for Bible thumping and throwing our beliefs on you and yet in reality that's what you are doing.
This is an athiest forum. YOU came here.

I did not come to your christian forum telling you that you're wrong. I did not come to your home telling that you're wrong. I did not stop you on the street and tell you that you are wrong. Theists have done all of those things to me.
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false and by the rulers as useful

wolf39us

Yay!  I got to the end.

Someone has been reading in to a little too much creationist dogma!  Darwin's quote is infamous for having been torn to shreds by creationists looking for a quote mine.   

A theory is an explanation of observable FACTS

Creationism is not a theory nor is it a hypothesis... The bible's claims are merely superstitious nonsense with zero evidence.

Let's see, what did I miss?

stromboli

The universe didn't decide itself to exist any more than a tree decided to grow from a seed. we don't know the cause but have several very good theories, including multiverses and so forth. Not knowing something does not preclude there is a reason. It also doesn't prove god exists.

God is an assumption. The assumption, dressed up in the form of a religion, is a construct that provably was created by a human mind. Your religion began as a polytheistic one. We can show you that the historicity of your faith is essentially false and based on previous religions and myths, such as the Garden of Eden and Exodus and Noah's Ark.

Like I said in a previous post, how can you know your religion is true? Every religion claims to be the only correct one. Heaven and hell are all constructs used to intimidate and generate fear in believers to keep them obedient to the faith.

Evidence of evolution:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evidence_of_common_descent

http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Evolution

http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/ngm/0411/feature1/

educate yourself.

GSOgymrat

Quote from: bamaboydylan on June 29, 2014, 03:52:49 AM
The reason why you should think about it is because, let's just say God is real and there is an afterlife.

You can't prove to me that he is fake, and I can't prove that he is real so we are just saying what if right now.

If he is real and my belief system holds up then I have a positive afterlife and you don't.

There is no gamble for me but there is a gamble for you.

If he is fake then we both get nothing after this and it doesn't matter. At least with my belief system there is some light at the end of the tunnel for me.

Unless you chose to believe in the wrong god.

Johan

Quote from: bamaboydylan on June 29, 2014, 04:29:30 AM
This just proves all I'm trying to say. Evolution requires just as much faith as Creation does.
No it absolutely does not. Evolution has been proven through lots of repeatable and verifiable scientific testing. This testing has been very well documented. The scientific methods used in the testing have also been proven time and time again to be sound and reliable.

Faith is a believing something to be true despite the lack of proof. Absolutely no faith is required to believe evolution to be true. All that is required is that you educate yourself on how scientific methods work and why things which are discovered using them are verifiable proof of theories. Then look for yourself at how much verifiable and repeatable scientific proof exists which supports the theory of evolution. It probably wouldn't hurt for you to also look at how much verifiable and repeatable proof there is which shows the theory of creationism to be wrong.

The data is out there and readily available for you to find. Educate yourself or don't. I could give a fuck. But don't come here and make bogus claims based on your own ignorance unless you like to be called out on it.
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false and by the rulers as useful

stromboli

Educate yourself. I was a Christian for 18 years and a Mormon before that. I educated myself.

Evolution is science. Science is based on the scientific method which starts with observation. Scientific theories are methods that employ working models that require testing to verify the results and peer review of the testing. There were actually 2 other people besides Darwin that came up with the same theories at the same time. He is the one that got published first.

Creationism is not science. It starts with the conclusion and works backwards, the opposite of science.