Introduction

Started by DrewM, June 27, 2014, 07:33:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hijiri Byakuren

Funny, my dictionary says something completely different:

a·the·ism
ˈāTHÄ"ËŒizÉ™m/Submit
noun
disbelief or lack of belief in the existence of God or gods.
synonyms:   nonbelief, disbelief, unbelief, irreligion, skepticism, doubt, agnosticism;
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

Nam

Quote from: DrewM on June 27, 2014, 09:19:41 PM
Stromboli,

I don't know of anyone who claims its a 'fact' God exists, I know of few atheists who claim its a fact God doesn't exist. Do you know God doesn't exist or do you believe God doesn't exist? I can make a case from evidence in favor of my belief...can you?

You keep capping "god" as "God". Christians feel they own that word, and sadly most others agree. Now, either you're claiming the spelling for yourself, or you're just one of those new-age hippies who believe Christianity isn't a religion, and Biblegod reigns over all.

From what little you've said...i'm thinking you're just another Christian.

-Nam
Mad cow disease...it's not just for cows, or the mad!

Moralnihilist

Quote from: DrewM on June 28, 2014, 11:14:24 AM
Hello Mr Obvious,

We'll have to disagree on that point, ask the average person what atheist means and they will say a person who doesn't believe God exists. They don't claim its a fact God doesn't exist, in their opinion God doesn't exist.

Dictionary.com

a·the·ism
[ey-thee-iz-uhm] Show IPA
noun
the doctrine or belief that there is no God.
disbelief in the existence of a supreme being or beings.

Personally I think the lack of belief position weakens atheism to a non position. As a theist I don't deny God exists...but according to weak atheism, atheists don't deny God exists either. How can we debate existence of God, when neither one of us denies God exists?

I'm making a case in favor of my belief in another thread.

I agree the belief or disbelief in the existence of God is an opinion and I have acknowledged I could be wrong and it could turn out our existence and the universe was caused by mindless forces that didn't intend our existence.

As the "average" is a fucking moron(as evidenced by you), frankly I could give two fucks what they think that the word means. The word literally comes from the prefix a- meaning without and then theism meaning the belief in god or gods.

In regards to what you think(again see my opinion of the average person[i.e. you]) regarding the position of weak atheists. Show me proof of your sky daddy and I will acknowledge its existence. Until you can provide one microgram of real fucking evidence I have no reason to believe that you are anything other than another lying sack of retarded monkeyshit.

So again I will state my new mantra regarding theists on this forum:

Provide proof or fuck off.
Science doesn't give a damn about religions, because "damns" are not measurable units and therefore have no place in research. As soon as it's possible to detect damns, we'll quantize perdition and number all the levels of hell. Until then, science doesn't care.

Mr.Obvious

Quote from: DrewM on June 28, 2014, 11:14:24 AM
Hello Mr Obvious,

We'll have to disagree on that point, ask the average person what atheist means and they will say a person who doesn't believe God exists. They don't claim its a fact God doesn't exist, in their opinion God doesn't exist.

Dictionary.com

a·the·ism
[ey-thee-iz-uhm] Show IPA
noun
the doctrine or belief that there is no God.
disbelief in the existence of a supreme being or beings.

Personally I think the lack of belief position weakens atheism to a non position. As a theist I don't deny God exists...but according to weak atheism, atheists don't deny God exists either. How can we debate existence of God, when neither one of us denies God exists?

I'm making a case in favor of my belief in another thread.

I agree the belief or disbelief in the existence of God is an opinion and I have acknowledged I could be wrong and it could turn out our existence and the universe was caused by mindless forces that didn't intend our existence.

See Hijri's dictionary-post regarding your misinterpretation of the 'atheïst position'.
I deny there is any evidence for a God's existence. I deny that there is any logical reason to believe in the existance of a Deity. I deny that a belief in a Deity is warranted and validated. At least, I have yet to come across anything to warrant this or validate this. This proves ample to discuss over if you think you can prove the existence of a Deity. But I've looked through your other thread and for reasons stated by our fellow AF-ers, I find your findings lacking to say the least.

In other words me not thinking it possible to prove there is no God does not stop us from being able to debate this point.

Just like you may think there is no Bigfoot, you will not claim that you can prove there is no bigfoot. Yet you do not (or should not) deny the far-off posibility of there being an unyet undiscovered ape or bear in those woods, no matter how unlikely. It's just not usefull to believe in it without actual evidence. And for all intend and purpose you can state you know there is no Bigfoot. But you can't honestly claim you can prove there is no Bigfoot. What you can honestly say is that the proof for the existance of Bigfoot is either fake, vague, useless, ... in short not proof at all. And because there is no proof you are justified in your lack of belief of Bigfoot, because there is nothing and no reason to believe in his existance. But you are not justified in saying you know and can prove that there is no Bigfoot.

We can discuss your God like how you or I would discuss that there is no reason to believe in Bigfoot with someone who does. You do not have to fullfill the part of someone who proves there is no God or no Bigfoot. You just have to point out why the evidence someone brings in favor of their existences fails.

Hope this clarifies your problem in understanding the atheïst position.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

the_antithesis

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on June 29, 2014, 12:56:07 PM
I deny there is any evidence for a God's existence.

That's because there is no evidence. Only a bunch of arrogant cunts who expect us to take their word for it.

stromboli

If we were having a face to face conversation with this person, we would all be standing in a puddle of drool.

TheGamingAtheist

Way too much krap to read through. Welcome Drew. I'm not going to be a jerk or a bitch or anything of the nature but I'm afraid that you've come to the wrong forum to discuss a matter with the wrong people. If you're looking more into atheism there are plenty of resources available in which I am sure plenty of us could name for you.

Also, from what I have skimmed through..you believe atheism has a "belief system" If you will....No,  atheism is lack of beliefs in a higher power or deity. We cannot prove this simply because we have yet to achieve the ability to travel faster than light so If there's a heaven and it does exist then someday we may be able to reach it but chances are...it's a lie that was made up a long long time ago for people to gain power. OR it could be because aliens visited the earth to teach us how to come together and learn new skills in order to advance the earth..or this or that...there's plenty of ideas and theories that people have come up with.

Anyways, many of us aren't going to welcome you here with open arms since you came on here trying to state that you're not religious yet you're skeptical of atheism.... What skepticism is it that you have? I'd looooove to have a discussion on this truly.

PickelledEggs

Quote from: TheGamingAtheist on July 06, 2014, 01:07:13 PM
Way too much krap to read through. Welcome Drew. I'm not going to be a jerk or a bitch or anything of the nature but I'm afraid that you've come to the wrong forum to discuss a matter with the wrong people. If you're looking more into atheism there are plenty of resources available in which I am sure plenty of us could name for you.

Also, from what I have skimmed through..you believe atheism has a "belief system" If you will....No,  atheism is lack of beliefs in a higher power or deity. We cannot prove this simply because we have yet to achieve the ability to travel faster than light so If there's a heaven and it does exist then someday we may be able to reach it but chances are...it's a lie that was made up a long long time ago for people to gain power. OR it could be because aliens visited the earth to teach us how to come together and learn new skills in order to advance the earth..or this or that...there's plenty of ideas and theories that people have come up with.

Anyways, many of us aren't going to welcome you here with open arms since you came on here trying to state that you're not religious yet you're skeptical of atheism.... What skepticism is it that you have? I'd looooove to have a discussion on this truly.

Lol he's already banned. Don't worry. There will be more to come

TheGamingAtheist

Well shit lol I was excited for that debate dammit

Nam

Quote from: TheGamingAtheist on July 06, 2014, 01:16:06 PM

You can debate me. I'm an atheist Christian.

:wink:

-Nam
Mad cow disease...it's not just for cows, or the mad!

PickelledEggs

Quote from: TheGamingAtheist on July 06, 2014, 01:16:06 PM
Get out the wetstone and sharpen your teeth. I guarantee there will be more chewtoys haha

TheGamingAtheist

I don't know how to quote and shit on here. I'm such a forum noon today lol I'm using this tapatalk shit so If anyone knows how to use it, tell me! And atheist Christian...Oh hell What's this world coming to? Too many contradictions. You should be named starburst orrrr gusher lol

TheGamingAtheist

@EGGS, I've noticed there's a ton of them on these forums. Pathetic really. They don't realize that atheists look into shit and usually come from religious homes soooooo we kind of know what we are talking about. Lol

PickelledEggs

Quote from: TheGamingAtheist on July 06, 2014, 01:20:14 PM
@EGGS, I've noticed there's a ton of them on these forums. Pathetic really. They don't realize that atheists look into shit and usually come from religious homes soooooo we kind of know what we are talking about. Lol
Lol for a lack of a better phrase,  you are preaching to the choir haha

(and to quote: if you  are in Tapatalk, tap the thing you want to quote and it will bring up a quote option.  If you're in the browser, you need to hit the reply button first. Otherwise you are just in quick reply, which is very streamlined.)

Sent from your mom