Stop pretending the invasion of Iraq was a 'mistake.' It lets the liars off.

Started by AllPurposeAtheist, June 22, 2014, 04:57:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AllPurposeAtheist

Good point. The Iraq war was no 'mistake'. It was quite deliberately planned, executed and extraordinarily fucked up. At what point do we stop referring to the criminal acts as a mistake? A mere 'booboo'..

http://m.dailykos.com/stories/1307897
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

SGOS

Finally!  Someone has articulated what I've thought for years.  Even before the invasion took place, as I listened to the propaganda, my mind kept flashing in bold uppercase letters, "THEY'RE LYING."  I've always thought that, but you don't state that in a forum, because someone will be sure to ask for proof, and it can't be proven.  The safest thing you could say was that Iraq was a hair brained mistake and that maybe, just maybe, the men behind it were well intentioned, but mentally impaired (which I didn't believe.  I believe it was just a lie and it had nothing to do with national security).

Gawdzilla Sama

We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

josephpalazzo

Some people have a short memory. The Iraqi War of 1991 was the REAL mistake. The Iraqi War 2 of 2003 was a continuation played out by the same actors.

Gawdzilla Sama

We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Nam

Quote from: AllPurposeAtheist on June 22, 2014, 04:57:58 PM
Good point. The Iraq war was no 'mistake'. It was quite deliberately planned, executed and extraordinarily fucked up. At what point do we stop referring to the criminal acts as a mistake? A mere 'booboo'..

http://m.dailykos.com/stories/1307897

Who said it was a mistake?

-Nam
Mad cow disease...it's not just for cows, or the mad!

Nam

Quote from: SGOS on June 22, 2014, 05:40:06 PM
Finally!  Someone has articulated what I've thought for years.  Even before the invasion took place, as I listened to the propaganda, my mind kept flashing in bold uppercase letters, "THEY'RE LYING."  I've always thought that, but you don't state that in a forum, because someone will be sure to ask for proof, and it can't be proven.  The safest thing you could say was that Iraq was a hair brained mistake and that maybe, just maybe, the men behind it were well intentioned, but mentally impaired (which I didn't believe.  I believe it was just a lie and it had nothing to do with national security).

It had to do with energy, and in Iraq's case: their oil. It's a bit ironic, really. Think about it: we attacked Iraq in the early 1990's because they invaded Kuwait for their oil yet it's okay for us to attack Iraq a decade later for the same reason, and "we" are still hailed as the "good guys" because we took out a cruel dictator, and his sons.

I think it's hypocritical of us to then say Russia invading Crimea (Ukraine) is wrong because...why? At least their somewhat honest about why they invade "we" just spin out lies.

I was never for the war in Iraq, I always believed we invaded Iraq for their oil. Now, if we actually did invade Iraq to get rid of Saddam I probably would've been for that (though no one else would have) but we were just their for the oil.

-Nam

stromboli

Everything bad happening in the Middle East started right after the 1st world war.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Partitioning_of_the_Ottoman_Empire

the British figured out how valuable oil resources would be. France wanted a piece, and how the Ottoman Empire was carved up determines much of what is going on today. Add to that a 1953 coup against a peaceful, democratically elected Iranian government by the British and the CIA- because the Iranians nationalized their oil industry, and kicked the foreigners out. Prince Faisal was installed as the king of Iraq because he helped Lawrence in his duties, and proved to be a weak ruler, leading eventually to all the turmoil that followed.

Everything that happened in Iran was a direct response from intalling the Shah, the last of a Persian monarchy and supported by the US. The uprising that dethroned him and installed the Ayatollah involved the vast majority of Iranians.

At the end of the Ottoman Empire, all of the governments created were done by western powers. Everything that happened after you can give credit to us, the good guys.

And then we elected Reagan who told us there was plenty of oil and fuck the alternative energy that former nuclear engineer Carter wanted to invest in, never mind that oil money funneled to terrorism through the Saudis and others is what funded it.

I read a CIA report some years ago that stated plainly the best way to combat terrorism was to develop alternative resources and stop funding it with our money.

Yup, thats right. We funded the guy that knocked down the twin towers at the gas pump.

AllPurposeAtheist

I'm not even sure it's about oil so much as it is about the industries that manufacturer the tools of war, the bombs, bullets, uniforms, flags and all the other military industrial complex bullshit. Every single plane, tank or boot is manufactured in all 50 states to keep elected officials in office and before Jason brings up the libertarian bullshit those crocksuckers are every bit as guilty as the rest of them.

stromboli

Quote from: AllPurposeAtheist on June 22, 2014, 10:21:33 PM
I'm not even sure it's about oil so much as it is about the industries that manufacturer the tools of war, the bombs, bullets, uniforms, flags and all the other military industrial complex bullshit. Every single plane, tank or boot is manufactured in all 50 states to keep elected officials in office and before Jason brings up the libertarian bullshit those crocksuckers are every bit as guilty as the rest of them.

Right. Everything adds to everything else. It sounds like a big conspiracy theory, but it all feeds the military industrial complex one way or the other.

josephpalazzo

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on June 22, 2014, 08:31:24 PM
How so?

Ever heard of the hoax about Iraqi soldiers killing babies in incubator when they invaded Kuwai?!??

See: http://whatreallyhappened.com/WRHARTICLES/incubatorlie.html

It was that testimony that moved the American public to be in favor of "liberating" Kuwait from Saddam Hussein.

AllPurposeAtheist

Someone once said that the first casualty of war is the truth..

Nam

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: josephpalazzo on June 23, 2014, 08:57:15 AM
Ever heard of the hoax about Iraqi soldiers killing babies in incubator when they invaded Kuwai?!??

See: http://whatreallyhappened.com/WRHARTICLES/incubatorlie.html

It was that testimony that moved the American public to be in favor of "liberating" Kuwait from Saddam Hussein.
No matter how they died, they wouldn't have if Iraq hadn't invaded.
PZ Myers

Jason78

Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato